Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: newbie , buying a portable recorder  (Read 6444 times)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: newbie , buying a portable recorder
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 12:42:54 AM »
The actual specs on the site say nothing either way, but if you listen to the promotional video on their site, the woman says they are omnidirectional, also if you look at this pamphlet:

http://www.rolandus.com/uploads/CMS/Downloads/1977/r_09_pamphlet.pdf

the polar pattern shows its an omnidirectional, though the field is "crippled" probably due to the actual body of the recorded

also, google Edirol R-09, omnidirectional, you'll find a lot of places mentioned its an omni

I still have my doubts about it being omnidirectional... If it is they are using the housing of the edirol to avoid phase cancellation.. If anyone has opened up the edirol and knows if the capsules are omni or not please let me know..

Chris Church

Not opened yet, but I'm tempted...

I'm tempted to put a pair of AT853 in there.  God knows I've got enough of these things!  I almost bought another pair today, but was outbid by someone. :laugh:

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 12:47:25 AM »
The actual specs on the site say nothing either way, but if you listen to the promotional video on their site, the woman says they are omnidirectional, also if you look at this pamphlet:

http://www.rolandus.com/uploads/CMS/Downloads/1977/r_09_pamphlet.pdf

the polar pattern shows its an omnidirectional, though the field is "crippled" probably due to the actual body of the recorded

also, google Edirol R-09, omnidirectional, you'll find a lot of places mentioned its an omni

I still have my doubts about it being omnidirectional... If it is they are using the housing of the edirol to avoid phase cancellation.. If anyone has opened up the edirol and knows if the capsules are omni or not please let me know..

Chris Church

Not opened yet, but I'm tempted...

I'm tempted to put a pair of AT853 in there.  God knows I've got enough of these things!  I almost bought another pair today, but was outbid by someone. :laugh:

Richard

I think you would wire your toaster with an 853 if you could! :) I can picture it now the sound of the toast popping is so crisp and clear. Now if I only had a good preamp to go with it  ;)

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Vidra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 01:26:15 PM »
Anyway, I pulled the trigger for Edirol R-09

I ordered it in a local store, and will probably have it by the end of the month.

It just seems like a better device for recording environments and soundscapes (due to the polar pattern).
It draws less attention because it's smaller, and people will probably mistake it for a ipod or walkman or some such device.
Zoom h4 looks like a weapon on the other hand.

But the biggest reason for this decision is manual control of gain on edirol. The clipping diode and manual corrections of gain during a take.

I've listened to samples of both. The biggest difference I can hear is that edirol sounds a bit more "wet", while the zoom is a bit more focused.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com