Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R09 brickwalling  (Read 9957 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: R09 brickwalling
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 01:30:10 PM »
the psp2 has balanced transformer inputs with 1=ground, 2=hot, 3=cold

the xlr outs are tranformerless and balanced.
the mini in and out are both un-balanced.

since the mini out is un-balanced and an un-balanced output is always lower than a balanced output (-10db vs. +4db) i recommend trying to run mini out > 722 and see what happens. 

i usually run mics > psp2 (mini out) > r1 in tandem with psp2 (xlr out) > 671 and it works fine; both outputs are live.

Unbalanced is not always lower then balanced  ;) You can have unbalanced +4 outputs too...
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 03:33:26 PM »
If the preamp had transformer output, then Chris's suggestion of connecting pins 1-3 as common is correct.  If NO output transformer, and the preamp has active amplifier driven balance output, then do NOT connect pins 1-3 together, instead leave pin 3 floating as grounding this to pin 1 will effectively short out the  -minus polarity output amplifier.  In this case using pin 1 for common and pin 3 for +positive polarity output seems correct. 

With saying this, I see no reason to think you're getting higher quality using the balanced output with having a dedicated unbalanced output jack available on this device.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 03:43:16 PM »
If the preamp had transformer output, then Chris's suggestion of connecting pins 1-3 as common is correct.  If NO output transformer, and the preamp has active amplifier driven balance output, then do NOT connect pins 1-3 together, instead leave pin 3 floating as grounding this to pin 1 will effectively short out the  -minus polarity output amplifier.  In this case using pin 1 for common and pin 3 for +positive polarity output seems correct. 

With saying this, I see no reason to think you're getting higher quality using the balanced output with having a dedicated unbalanced output jack available on this device.
On a true differentially  balanced output you can always short the unused pin to ground as a matter fact failing to do so often leads to increased noise floor and increased chances of inducted noise into the preamp from the "open" end of the negative input.. That's why it should be shorted to ground... But if they did something strange.. then maybe not there are always exceptions to every rule.. But I know of few op amps that can not be shorted to ground with out damage.. Most are designed to be short circuited in the output section with out any problems..

Chris

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 04:06:28 PM »
Vendor preamp floating differential output bias fight!!!

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2007, 04:29:11 PM »
do NOT connect pins 1-3 together, instead leave pin 3 floating as grounding this to pin 1 will  effectively short out the  -minus polarity output amplifier.  In this case using pin 1 for common and pin 3 for +positive polarity output seems correct. 

Thanks for the reply!  Did you mean to write 'pin 2 for +positive polarity' there?

I understand that the 1/8 ouput may sound just as good.. maybe better.  I have some doubts about my 1/8 to 1/8 gold ratshack cable. Wouldn't a cable with indepdently shielded runs for each channel have less crosstalk and other general badness?

If I have to make a cable, I'd rather make it an xlr (shortie style) and have zero anxiety about it giving me trouble in one out of a hundred shows, etc.  Though with this particular preamp, a custom miniplug could sit more flush than even a custom xlr. The cover plates extend past the case and would provide quite a bit of protection and keep a custom squarely molded plug from rotating.  The wear on the unit suggests the 1/8 output has seen a fair bit of use but it still seems fairly snug. Next time I have the cover off I'll try and see how it is anchored to the board...

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 06:05:35 PM »
do NOT connect pins 1-3 together, instead leave pin 3 floating as grounding this to pin 1 will  effectively short out the  -minus polarity output amplifier.  In this case using pin 1 for common and pin 3 for +positive polarity output seems correct. 

Thanks for the reply!  Did you mean to write 'pin 2 for +positive polarity' there?

I understand that the 1/8 ouput may sound just as good.. maybe better.  I have some doubts about my 1/8 to 1/8 gold ratshack cable. Wouldn't a cable with indepdently shielded runs for each channel have less crosstalk and other general badness?

If I have to make a cable, I'd rather make it an xlr (shortie style) and have zero anxiety about it giving me trouble in one out of a hundred shows, etc.  Though with this particular preamp, a custom miniplug could sit more flush than even a custom xlr. The cover plates extend past the case and would provide quite a bit of protection and keep a custom squarely molded plug from rotating.  The wear on the unit suggests the 1/8 output has seen a fair bit of use but it still seems fairly snug. Next time I have the cover off I'll try and see how it is anchored to the board...
Send it to me I will drill it out and put in a TA connector for you.. And I can see whats up with that stange output. All at the same time :)

Chris

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2007, 01:31:49 AM »

Yes, meant pin 2 for positive.

No need for balanced noise immunity with short cables.  But larger connectors usually have better contact ability with fingerprints and other residue on the contacts. 

If you keep miniplugs alcohol wipe clean, and/or free of fingerprints by wiping mirror bright clean EVERY TIME before inserting in a jack, then you should have no connection problems with mini-plug/jack connections.  Tips for cleaning/securing miniplugs/jacks at http://www.sonicstudios.com/tips.htm#maintain

I've made many 10 inch length right-angle gold plated 3.5mm stereo plug patches cables for users of your preamp for patching into small decks.  Patch cord looks like image below, but a little longer with same molded plugs on both ends.

Very quiet and secure (for being a mini stereo plug). 

www.sonicstudios.com/access.htm#adapters

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline echo1434

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2007, 02:11:59 AM »
Flip the R09 over see what gain setting you have.  The gain setting is on the back of the R09.  If it says "high", drop that puppy down to "low"

If using the LINE input, High/Low switch should have NO effect as it works only with MIC input.

See input chart for settings effect at: www.sonicstudios.com/r-09revw.htm#inputs

That's right. 

When using the line in, the ONLY switch on the back that works is "low cut". And I put a small piece of tape over this to keep it OFF.  ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com