Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Time to upgrade, but too much information here!!!  (Read 11145 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Time to upgrade, but too much information here!!!
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2007, 07:32:46 PM »
After listening to some of my favorite singers recorded with AKG 480s, I later wound up springing for a couple of them when I found a great deal on a slightly used pair.  I absolutely adore those mics on everything I've thrown at them so far,

Well, I'd have also suggested those mics too, but you're disregarding what he said in the first place, that his budget is $1200.  You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip and we all have to compromise when we can't jump right to the ultimate quality gear we start out.  So that's why I suggested that the C-42 or Peluso's seem to be amongst the most popular mics that have the biggest bang for buck at the $700 or so price point. 

You do a new taper a disservice by telling them to check out the higher priced gear because it's only natural, in general, that the higher price stuff is gonna sound better, which in turn is gonna make someone potentially less than happy about a decision when they have to buy less.

Just my opinion...as usual.

Offline kbergend

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 12:06:29 AM »
After listening to some of my favorite singers recorded with AKG 480s, I later wound up springing for a couple of them when I found a great deal on a slightly used pair.  I absolutely adore those mics on everything I've thrown at them so far,

Well, I'd have also suggested those mics too, but you're disregarding what he said in the first place, that his budget is $1200.  You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip and we all have to compromise when we can't jump right to the ultimate quality gear we start out.  So that's why I suggested that the C-42 or Peluso's seem to be amongst the most popular mics that have the biggest bang for buck at the $700 or so price point. 

You do a new taper a disservice by telling them to check out the higher priced gear because it's only natural, in general, that the higher price stuff is gonna sound better, which in turn is gonna make someone potentially less than happy about a decision when they have to buy less.

Sorry if I came across as recommending the 480s to Amaro in this situation, that certainly wasn't my intention.  My point was just that he should listen to recordings of artists he expects to record with the gear he's considering if possible before making a decision.  My own opinion is that the Audix M1290s are more natural-sounding than the Pelusos (I paid about the same for both, both well within his budget), although the Pelusos clearly have more presence at the top and bottom ends.  But the best choice may well depend on what kind of music he plans to record most of the time.  I don't have any experience with the Josephsons myself nor have I heard much recorded with them.
Keith from NY

Gefell M200/210, AKG 481/2/3, Milab DC-196 and VM-44 Link
Darktrain cables
Grace Lunatec V3, RME Fireface UFX
Tascam DR-680, Oade Concert R-44, Oade Concert PMD661, JoeCo BlackBox

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2007, 01:20:19 AM »

Sorry if I came across as recommending the 480s to Amaro in this situation, that certainly wasn't my intention.  My point was just that he should listen to recordings of artists he expects to record with the gear he's considering if possible before making a decision.  My own opinion is that the Audix M1290s are more natural-sounding than the Pelusos (I paid about the same for both, both well within his budget), although the Pelusos clearly have more presence at the top and bottom ends.  But the best choice may well depend on what kind of music he plans to record most of the time.  I don't have any experience with the Josephsons myself nor have I heard much recorded with them.

One question, how are you evaluating these mics?

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline kbergend

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 10:09:45 AM »
One question, how are you evaluating these mics?

Chris

Initially by the way they sound to me listening to the 24-bit source recordings through Sony V700 headphones, and later by how they sound to me on my various playback systems (usually after being dithered to 16 bits, and often after being compressed to 192kbs mp3s) -- obviously a very subjective criterion and YMMV, which is why I recommend listening to lots of samples before buying.  In the case of the Audix and Peluso mics, I've actually recorded a couple of shows using a stereo pair of each (card caps, same configuration on the same stand) into the R-4 for comparison.  The Pelusos are way more detailed and have better bass response, but they also have an emphasis in the higher frequencies that I find unpleasant when recording female vocalists -- I haven't seen frequecy plots for them, but I'm willing to bet they're a long way from flat.  On the other hand, I have a recording of a jazz trio where I definitely preferred the Pelusos, and a recording I made of the Alternate Routes (male singer) also turned out very nicely.  I should add that I rarely tape shows where distortion due to high SPLs is likely to be an issue, I'm more into quieter bands like Cowboy Junkies, Over the Rhine etc. (Ryan Adams and Lucinda Williams are about as loud as I get these days).
Keith from NY

Gefell M200/210, AKG 481/2/3, Milab DC-196 and VM-44 Link
Darktrain cables
Grace Lunatec V3, RME Fireface UFX
Tascam DR-680, Oade Concert R-44, Oade Concert PMD661, JoeCo BlackBox

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2007, 11:01:37 AM »
Oktava mics are not $600, more like $200 for a pair by the way

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2007, 12:24:06 PM »
Question:

I have been reading along and I started wondering....with these $700 mics....what is the resale value on them? As compared to more sought after (and higher priced) mics like Neumann and other German brands?

Maybe a dumb question....but it tickled my brain that the mid grade/lower end (no offense/they may not be/just my perception) mics might not get nearly what you paid for......

.................. :-\
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Mics: Modified Nak 300's, Line Audio CM4
P48/Pres: PS2
Decks: Edirol R-09

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2007, 11:21:41 PM »
Question:

I have been reading along and I started wondering....with these $700 mics....what is the resale value on them? As compared to more sought after (and higher priced) mics like Neumann and other German brands?

Maybe a dumb question....but it tickled my brain that the mid grade/lower end (no offense/they may not be/just my perception) mics might not get nearly what you paid for......

.................. :-\

if you purhcase the mics used here in the yardsale...you will usually recoup nearly all of what you paid for them (provided you do your homework when buying)  what little you do lose, you can just consider a rental fee.   ;D

I personally have gone through at least 10 pairs of mics in the last 4 years...and total may have lost 200$..and that is probably a stretch.
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2007, 11:19:17 AM »
my experience has also been that mics retain their value and resale value far more often than any other piece of gear, which come to think of it is another great reason to invest most of your budget into them when assembling a rig

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2007, 08:11:30 PM »
Just got the Peluso's from UPS man a few minutes ago!!

They're so shiny... :spin: :spin:
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Online ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2007, 09:18:21 PM »
Just got the Peluso's from UPS man a few minutes ago!!

They're so shiny... :spin: :spin:
hey
how do you like them
I am considering them, as they seem to be very nice mics...
anyone ever run the Omni caps with them?
I am not not nor ever been a fan of hyper sound, I know some folks like to run them, I like regular old cards
and would also like omnis for  certain  situations...

really would be psyched for tube omnis... but doubt I can ever afford them...

so how do you like your
pleusos?

thanx
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2007, 09:15:36 PM »
I really think they sound great! I couldn't be happier for the moment. Until some cash comes my way and I start upgrading again. But in all sincerity, even if I did upgrade to something better, I would hold onto these because they are that good. I only have the card caps for now but I'm looking to get the other sets as well. Just not right now. I have a Black Crowes & North Mississippi Allstars performance from Red Rocks 9-9-07 over at etree if you want a listen.
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com