Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: cdwav success with wine?  (Read 5145 times)

Offline db

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
cdwav success with wine?
« on: November 19, 2007, 11:41:52 AM »

anyone? which distribution?
db

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re: cdwav success with wine?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 07:38:02 PM »
I often do my tracking with a nice glass of red and have typically been successful.  There are those rare instances when the mix of music and wine just sucks me in and I end up listening to the whole set instead of inserting the track splits.  I suggest an 04 or 05 Stemmler Pinot Noir (Carneros) for pairing with cdwav.
   :drunk:
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline db

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 08:57:20 PM »
I often do my tracking with a nice glass of red and have typically been successful.  There are those rare instances when the mix of music and wine just sucks me in and I end up listening to the whole set instead of inserting the track splits.  I suggest an 04 or 05 Stemmler Pinot Noir (Carneros) for pairing with cdwav.
   :drunk:

oh sure. kick a guy while he's in geek hell.
db

Offline AlexG

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I'll get that show to you tomorrow, I promise"
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 08:52:21 PM »

I've tried multiple times, multiple distros, and multiple versions of wine and it just doesn't work.  It will install but when you goto load a file it hangs.  I've tried Crossover Office too and no luck there.  It sucks because the linux clone, wavbreaker, just doesn't cut it for me.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 08:54:32 PM by AlexG »
Mics: Neumann km184, Avatone CK-1 *FOR SALE*
Pres: Grace Lunatec V3 OptiMod *FOR SALE*
Recs: Tascam HD-P2, iRiver H120 30gb, iRiver H120 4gb CF Modded *FOR SALE*

My recordings on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Manitunes

Offline db

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 01:06:07 PM »

I've tried multiple times, multiple distros, and multiple versions of wine and it just doesn't work.  It will install but when you goto load a file it hangs.  I've tried Crossover Office too and no luck there.  It sucks because the linux clone, wavbreaker, just doesn't cut it for me.

i've only tried on ubuntu and the result was exactly the same as yours. i'm going to fill out the wine-program-no-work-form for some brilliant developer to pick up on... maybe someone will see the value.
db

Offline AlexG

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 01:17:23 PM »

i've only tried on ubuntu and the result was exactly the same as yours. i'm going to fill out the wine-program-no-work-form for some brilliant developer to pick up on... maybe someone will see the value.
I am the advocate for CDwave on the crossover site
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name?app_id=2397
My guess is we need to pledge some money to get this to work.  I am conflicted because it would seem more advantageous to give the money to the wavbreaker devs to fix all the issues I have with it.

Offline db

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 01:48:43 PM »

My guess is we need to pledge some money to get this to work.  I am conflicted because it would seem more advantageous to give the money to the wavbreaker devs to fix all the issues I have with it.

ok. how much?
db

Offline AlexG

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 02:38:17 PM »

ok. how much?
Prob at least 500 bucks from what I can tell, pretty steep.  You could buy XP and VMware for less.

Offline AlexG

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 02:41:18 PM »
Agreed.  wavbreaker is at least open source... I think the author is on TS but I don't think he is working on the code. It is a sourceforge project.

Does wavbreaker support 24/96 yet?  I know pigiron posted some patches to make that work.  A quick glance at the latest version suggests it still only support 16 bit.

It also looks like a bunch of cairo dependencies were added to the code between 0.8 and 0.9. It looks like those dependencies were not properly added to the configure script... It does Not build on my system (see below).

Wavbreaker has always worked very poorly on my amd64 system. I hit play and it takes 2 seconds to play audio. It is the only audio app with that problem.

Most of my other gripes are fairly minor user interface issues.. cdwav just has a great interface that makes the workflow very fast and easy.
I think we both have the same gripes.  I tried so hard to want to like wavbreaker but I found CDwave worked the way I wanted it to and wavbreaker just kept getting in the way. 

What also sucks is CD wave for windows was written in delphi.  There was one delphi compiler for linux but its dead now.  We'll never see it go native :(

Offline pigiron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I just did what I did
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 07:08:11 PM »
It also looks like a bunch of cairo dependencies were added to the code between 0.8 and 0.9. It looks like those dependencies were not properly added to the configure script... It does Not build on my system (see below).

Wavbreaker has always worked very poorly on my amd64 system. I hit play and it takes 2 seconds to play audio. It is the only audio app with that problem.

Most of my other gripes are fairly minor user interface issues.. cdwav just has a great interface that makes the workflow very fast and easy.

Interesting... I peeked inside the configure.in  file and I don't see it explicitly checking for cairo... but both resulting Makefiles bring it in (I used my ancient SuSE 10.1 box for this test)... must be more autoconfig/automake magic:

WAVBREAKER_CFLAGS = -pthread -I/usr/include/cairo
-I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/libxml2
-I/opt/gnome/include/gtk-2.0 -I/opt/gnome/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0
-I/opt/gnome/include/pango-1.0 -I/opt/gnome/include/glib-2.0 -I/opt/gnome/lib/glib-2.0 /include

WAVBREAKER_LIBS = -pthread -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/opt/gnome/lib -lgtk-x11-2.0
-lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0
-lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lfreetype
-lfontconfig -lXrender -lX11 -lXext -lpng12 -lglitz -lgthread-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lxml2 -lz -lm

The above worked for me. So manually editing the Makefiles may work for you???

On a different topic... I agree on the audio pause. I hit it intermittently but never tried to find the cause.

And what is it about CDwave that "worked the way you wanted it to"?  Don't flame me... I don't use it so I don't know what it's like. Maybe I can tweak wavbreaker (like I need another frig'n project).
skm184, lsd2
v2, sd722, mini-me, jb3

Offline AlexG

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 07:44:17 PM »

And what is it about CDwave that "worked the way you wanted it to"?  Don't flame me... I don't use it so I don't know what it's like. Maybe I can tweak wavbreaker (like I need another frig'n project).

One thing that drives me crazy about wavbreaker is how you move around the file while it's playing

CDwave - Just click the spot on the top waveform and it just jumps there
wavbreaker - Doesn't work.  You need to stop playing it first, click the spot on the waveform, then press play

If this behavior has changed in a recent release I may try it again.  This was a huge deal breaker for me.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 08:36:50 PM »
WAVBREAKER_CFLAGS = -pthread -I/usr/include/cairo
-I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/libxml2
-I/opt/gnome/include/gtk-2.0 -I/opt/gnome/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0
-I/opt/gnome/include/pango-1.0 -I/opt/gnome/include/glib-2.0 -I/opt/gnome/lib/glib-2.0 /include

WAVBREAKER_LIBS = -pthread -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/opt/gnome/lib -lgtk-x11-2.0
-lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0
-lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lfreetype
-lfontconfig -lXrender -lX11 -lXext -lpng12 -lglitz -lgthread-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lxml2 -lz -lm

The above worked for me. So manually editing the Makefiles may work for you???

Thanks for the suggestions.   I tweaked the Makefiles and then hit the same problem that was introduced in 0.8 - a dependency that requires a very recent version of GTK ( 2.8 ). With 0.9 a few more new gtk2 calls were added.  I guess that's okay if those changes added some important improvements.  But I hope they were great changes because forcing folks to upgrade gtk is a big deal. Gtk2 upgrades are generally very painful. I'll have to upgrade my gentoo when that day comes...

Maybe someone can describe the interface changes between 0.8 and 0.9?

wavbreaker.o(.text+0x3822): In function `expose_event':
/u/b/net/wavbreaker-0.9/src/wavbreaker.c:1830: undefined reference to `gdk_cairo_create'
wavbreaker.o(.text+0x3f2e): In function `draw_summary_expose_event':
/u/b/net/wavbreaker-0.9/src/wavbreaker.c:2127: undefined reference to `gdk_cairo_create'
guimerge.o(.text+0x2ad): In function `ok_button_clicked':
/u/b/net/wavbreaker-0.9/src/guimerge.c:125: undefined reference to `gtk_file_chooser_set_do_overwrite_confirmation'

I recall getting 0.8 to build after some lazy commenting out of the overwrite check. But in 0.9 it looks like Cairo is being used to open windows...

Offline db

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 12:21:34 PM »

ok. how much?
Prob at least 500 bucks from what I can tell, pretty steep.  You could buy XP and VMware for less.

i have xp, os x, and ubuntu...  i just have a wild fantasy about living without xp entirely (the only reason i have it is for cdwav and a resume program...).  pigiron talked me through the patch (thanks again mang) and i will get to that for the sake of education and science, but from what i can tell here, it still may come up short.  but as for the 500 clams; if a coupla of us pony up a part of that (assuming that's the right figure) i'd contribute for sure.

db

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com