Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Neumann SKM 140 kit, Do these come with windscreens  (Read 5223 times)

Offline nedstruzz

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Neumann SKM 140 kit, Do these come with windscreens
« on: February 21, 2008, 02:24:40 PM »
How about XY mounting brackets? 
B&K 4023's >Neve Portico>744T

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Neumann SKM 140 kit, Do these come with windscreens
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 02:46:13 PM »
Screens come standard with the set, but they're the smallish ones that don't block much of a wind.  Pretty sure standard size clips also come with the set, but those wouldn't necessarily be ideal for XY.  You'd need a riser or shim or whatever you wanna call it between the clip and your t-bar. 

If XY is your thing, I'll be honest with you that the STH-100 mount is really perfect for that.  It puts the capsules in a really TIGHT XY position relative to each other.  Plus the mount allows you to vary the included angle.

The problem is the figgin' mount is absolutely ridiculously priced...totally not worth what Neumann charges.  However, since I have the mount in my bag, I actually like it quite alot.  I'd say that you get what you pay for and I suppose I could suggest that you'd be happy with the mount, but in this case there just ain't no way the mount is worth anything close to the $300 Neumann charges for a new one.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 02:51:42 PM »
but in this case there just ain't no way the mount is worth anything close to the $300 Neumann charges for a new one.

If you're paying close to $300 then you're shopping at the wrong retailers.  The STH-100 can be had for under $200 and at some retailers for closer to $100 than $200.

While I know alot of fellow Neumann owners seem to like the STH-100 I find the Kwon bars to not only be easier to use but not near as fragile feeling.  But if xy is your thing then the Kwon are not the right choice.

Offline nedstruzz

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 03:11:36 PM »
Well the kit I just recieved came with the STH-100 and ORTF bracket but only one of the XY Brackets.  It looks like it should have come with two of the XY Brackets. 

It also came with no windscreens which I have inquired about with Sennheiser.

I spoke with Kwon a few weeks back about making an ORTF bar for the Neumanns and he said he did not make Kwon bars for Neumanns mics. 

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 03:15:11 PM »
I spoke with Kwon a few weeks back about making an ORTF bar for the Neumanns and he said he did not make Kwon bars for Neumanns mics. 

Don't know why he said that.  I have the DIN and NOS Neumann Kwon bars.   May want to reinquire with him about that.  Both bars are labeled Neumann on them.

stevetoney

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 03:16:24 PM »
but in this case there just ain't no way the mount is worth anything close to the $300 Neumann charges for a new one.

If you're paying close to $300 then you're shopping at the wrong retailers.  The STH-100 can be had for under $200 and at some retailers for closer to $100 than $200.

While I know alot of fellow Neumann owners seem to like the STH-100 I find the Kwon bars to not only be easier to use but not near as fragile feeling.  But if xy is your thing then the Kwon are not the right choice.

Well that's good to know.  I was just going by the price on one of the more popular sites well all frequent.  If you can find it for $100 to $150 Ned, then it might be worth it.  

I also like the KWON (I have a DIN bar).  Hard to beat them for simplicity, min setup and teardown, and the amount of space in the bag.

So, I guess what I should have said that I like about the STH-100 now that I'm using it more than the KWON is that, now that I have a set of Tapermarks add-on bars that fit into the STH-100 perfectly, I have all of the popular mic configs (from DIN and DINa to ORTF to XY) covered.   Three KWONs and you're over $200 and still lacking the capability to run XY.

Not debating as must as pointing out additional things to consider when looking into mounting the 140's
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 03:33:29 PM by tonedeaf »

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 03:35:47 PM »

Don't know why he said that.  I have the DIN and NOS Neumann Kwon bars.   May want to reinquire with him about that.  Both bars are labeled Neumann on them.

Maybe something lost in translation.  KWONs definitely made for Neumanns, but maybe not in ORTF.  Seems to me that in addition to the DIN and NOS, DINa is the other KWON config and those are the only three KWON configs available...but I may be wrong.

Offline nedstruzz

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 03:56:16 PM »
KWONs definitely made for Neumanns, but maybe not in ORTF. 

This must be it. 

Sennheiser sending windscreens fre eof charge but said the unit only comes with an ORTF mount.  I thought it said ORTF and XY???  I will have to check that further. 

Thanks Guys!!

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 03:59:07 PM »

Maybe something lost in translation.  KWONs definitely made for Neumanns, but maybe not in ORTF.  Seems to me that in addition to the DIN and NOS, DINa is the other KWON config and those are the only three KWON configs available...but I may be wrong.

I think you're right Steve.  DIN, DINa, NOS for sure.   I believe that there was also an ORTF bar but not 100%    Obviously a XY bar is impractical.

Have to believe that  if there is a Schoeps Kwon bar in a particular config that one was also made for the Neumann and MBHO products.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 04:07:43 PM »
The STH-100 mount is pretty cool IMHO. There should be three curved pieces - 2 for XY and the ORTF curved one. It's a bit tight loading the cables through, but no harm so far. Sounds like you got the ORTF curve and 1/2 of the pieces needed for XY. You definitely should have 2 round windscreens

Unless it was a custom thing, I have never heard of an ORTF KWON bar for Neumann mics. I've tried making one out of dowel and failed. With the right tools, it probably isn't too hard and I believe Mr. Kwon can design one for around $500. At least the was about the price he quoted to design one for the Milabs. Once it is designed, more can be made for a lower cost I believe.

Congrats on the 140s - I love mine. Sorry to hear the QC wasn't the best on the packaging - I assure you it is there on the mics themselves.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 04:10:56 PM »
Just re-read the reply I got from Kwonfidelity. The average cost was $525 a year ago and that included up to 3 bars at any distance/angle desired and required 5 business days.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 04:45:33 PM »
...Maybe a tad off topic, but I use the Vark bar with the spacer on one side when I use the 140's X/Y...I use the small schoeps or small dpa screens with no issues.

I only use the actives when I need to be small as I prefer the sound of the whole 140 or 150 with silver cables...I love the verticle bar as it accomodates any configuration I require.

Walt
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline aegert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 04:55:45 PM »
Not so off topic but I am seeing about having a single windscreen made to accommodate 2 mics coincident xy...
A :D
B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

The bus came by and I got on....

stevetoney

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 05:03:27 PM »
KWONs definitely made for Neumanns, but maybe not in ORTF. 

This must be it. 

Sennheiser sending windscreens fre eof charge but said the unit only comes with an ORTF mount.  I thought it said ORTF and XY???  I will have to check that further. 

Thanks Guys!!

Well, if you got one of the bars that's moon shaped, then you got half of the XY mount.  The ORTF mount is more 'L' shaped, but I guess you know that.

I think what I'd ask them next time you talk to them is...was the intent to send you the STH-100 mount?  If so, then you should be getting the full XY mount, not half.  However, one thing that I have noted since reading your first post is that this mount seems to be non-standard in terms of what they would normally include in the kit.  The normal mounts packaged I think are just the run-of-the mill mic clips, which are decent but definitely not as nice as the STH-100 IMHO.  So, if you can get the other half of the XY, then seems like you're ahead of the game.

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 05:21:21 PM »
Nope the SKM140 kit should include the STH-100 mount with all three bars in addition to the standard mic clips. That is one of the advantages of buying the SKM set instead of 2 KM140 packages.  :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com