Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 input woes  (Read 114676 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: Edirol R-09 input woes
« Reply #135 on: May 11, 2007, 06:16:05 PM »
Edirol update:  I sent my R09 in for repair, under warranty, 3 weeks ago.  Just found out today that the new input jack is back ordered from Japan, and won't arrive to Roland-US until the 3rd week of May.   Which means I probably won't get the R09 back until the first week of June ... at the earliest. 

"Bleep!"  :'(

Offline dominar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2007, 07:19:10 PM »
Was the problem ever nailed down to a certain production run or was it a design flaw?

I just got mine so I'm wondering.
My as of yet untested rig: GSAL powered omni w/bat box>Edirol R-09

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2007, 08:45:11 PM »
Request a loaner or a replacement r09.  Do not settle for anything less.

I wonder if they've further modified the part.

Good idea Brian.  Thanks!

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2007, 08:49:19 PM »
Was the problem ever nailed down to a certain production run or was it a design flaw?

They definitely had a problem with the first few batches.  Mine was retailed last August.  Edirol confirmed mine was from a flawed batch.  Edirol is a good company, so I am confident they'll take care of my situation.  I just hate waiting. 

On a side note:  I can definitely tell the difference between the R09 and R-1 when in my chain.  R-1's ADC sounds harsh when compared to the R09.  The bass is not as tight, either.   

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2007, 01:38:00 AM »

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2007, 07:17:53 AM »

They definitely had a problem with the first few batches.  Mine was retailed last August.  Edirol confirmed mine was from a flawed batch.  Edirol is a good company, so I am confident they'll take care of my situation.  I just hate waiting. 

On a side note:  I can definitely tell the difference between the R09 and R-1 when in my chain.  R-1's ADC sounds harsh when compared to the R09.  The bass is not as tight, either.   

First few runs Roland produced had jacks missing molded in securing posts meant to use two predrilled holes already on the PCB board underneath each jack. 

Not having this jack, first runs simply left the jacks being held by the jack's fragile (4) PCB solder pads that quickly tore off the board for many users. 

To 'fix' this in repairs/newer runs Roland simply glued down the jacks to the board with flexible RTV type glue that doesn't hold well enough and more jacks broke at least one of the rear jack solder pads losing the left channel.  It's been several months since opening one of these so I don't know if Roland is now using the correctly molded jacks with through-hole mounting posts. 

If or when Roland starts using such jacks, this deck's most troubling shortcoming would finally end to plague us users.

Just posted an updated R-09 deck review with new features including file-fix instruction page .pdf download, and showing a jack extension accessory helping owners of decks with improper designed jacks to improve reliability issues.

www.sonicstudios.com/r-09revw.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #141 on: May 12, 2007, 12:41:04 PM »

Very curious how they compare.  I can't recall seeing other comparative comments from owners.

And at the risk of completely destroying this thread, may I suggest a comp? ;)

Yes lets do comp but I want to argue about the way we do it endlessly first ok  ;) Again I want to apologize to the users of this board for being such a pain in the ass the last week or so about that cable thread.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Nixoo

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #142 on: May 12, 2007, 02:36:57 PM »
Any issues with the new coloured R-09 models? I just got the white one (so much for stealth..) and am wondering if there has been any new model input jack problems reported. Didn't see any so far.. Keeping my fingers crossed :-\
Recorders: Edirol R-09, Zoom H2
Mics: Soundman OKMII Pop, AT853 (4.7k mod), DPA4061, CA11 Cards, CA11 Omi, CA14 Cards
CA-Ugly 2 preamp, SP BB, CA BB
Photo/Video: Panasonic TZ40, Panasonic LX100, Canon 550D

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #143 on: May 12, 2007, 07:14:52 PM »
Any issues with the new coloured R-09 models? I just got the white one (so much for stealth..) and am wondering if there has been any new model input jack problems reported. Didn't see any so far.. Keeping my fingers crossed :-\

It might be the only way to tell if these newer models have just the 'glue down' fix or the real fix using correctly molded jacks with the two rivet posts is by opening one up, removing the top board,  and taking a look at the bottom PCB board.   

The 'glue fix' on newer made decks will work for a longer time so user failure reports may be delayed.  However, expect board damage with normal plug in/plug disconnect (especially if using straight or too large right-angle plugs) usually occurring sometime after the warranty runs out.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #144 on: May 20, 2007, 11:53:11 AM »
I posted new pure 24 bit r1 and r09 files this am to compare: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,84454.msg1121501.html#msg1121501

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #145 on: June 07, 2007, 11:43:03 AM »
Kudos to Roland support!!

Just got my R-09 back after sending it in for jack repair.  Mine was an early model, bought just about one year ago.  Line-in broke within 90 days but I didn't have time to send it in due to my taping schedule so I continued using the mic-input at reduced gain.  Finally got around to calling Roland in January and was issued an RMA but told them at the time it would probably be a few months before I had enough downtime to send it in.  I called back about a couple weeks ago and talked to the same support tech and was told to use the same RMA and that they would put a 'rush job' note on the order for me.  I sent the recorder in just before Memorial day so they would have it by the following Wednesday, along with the letter below.  Recorder arrived here today one week after they received it, with the center board replaced as well as the top face (the silver part with the printing on it) which was a bit scratched up before.  They completed the rush job repair and returned the unit at no charge!

Outstanding service, Go team Roland!  Once I get home I'll take a look inside to see what the jack to board mounting looks like on the new board.

They took good care of me & I'm a very satisfied customer, seriously considering a second R-09, or perhaps an R-4, also interested in seeing what they'll develop next.  ;D

Thursday, May 25,  2007

Edirol R-09 recorder - SN# ZU64011
Line input jack failure – RMA# S13935153

Hey there helpful Edirol technician,

I love the R-09, great little unit, great sound.   I recommend it to others regularly. This one has the ‘line-in’ jack failure that I’m sure you have seen plenty of.  Since I use the unit every few days, I’ve had to postpone sending it in for repair since last August when the failure occurred. I’ve been very careful using the ‘mic-in’ since then.

I called back in August ‘06 (within 90 days from purchase) but had no time between recording sessions to send the unit in at that point. I called again in January and spoke more at length with Alan in the service department who issued an RMA (#S13935153).  I now have a narrow window of time to get the jack repaired so I called yesterday and spoke with Alan again about sending the unit in to you.  I asked him to note on the service record that I would like to pay for expedited service to get the unit back as soon as possible.

I have every expectation that this repair will be covered under the parts & labor portion of the warranty since the failure occurred so early on, and seems so wide spread.  I am a member of an on-line recording community that has championed this unit (and the R-4 as well) and shares technical, application, and support information amongst ourselves and with inquiring novices.  Reports of input jack failure on the early R-09 units in particular are widespread, one of the few weak points of this unit in comparison with the competition.  I continue to highly recommend this recorder over the M-audio, Zoom, and other recorders in it’s price range, but caution potential buyers to use a small, right angle stereo 1/8” mini plug input cable to minimize strain on the vulnerable input jack.  Other members who have disassembled R-09 units with this failure have reported that the circuit board is configured with mounting holes to mechanically secure the input jacks to the board, but the jacks used in production did not have the required protrusions to mount in those holes.  Instead, they report that the jacks are held only by the solder joint to the circuit board, making them quite vulnerable to mechanical failure of the solder joint and possible lifting of the board traces.   I encourage you to take a look online at www.taperssection.com if you care to read the usage reports or join in the discussion.

I sincerely hope that this production flaw has been corrected.  In my opinion, you have the best small solid state recorder on the market in its class and the continuing firmware updates keep making it better.  If it also had a digital input and sync capability to a second R-09, Edirol would rule the world!  Most everyone on taperssection.com would buy several of them. Thanks for taking care of this for me & keep up the great work. 

Regards,
Lee Byrd         
(contact information above)

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

dorrcoq

« Reply #146 on: June 07, 2007, 07:24:20 PM »
Very nice letter, Lee

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2007, 10:19:50 AM »
Thanks, sometimes a letter can do wonders.

I opened it up last night.  Roland replaced the middle (main) circuit board that the input jacks are attached to with a new one.  The input jacks appear to be the same ones used previously, without the small tabs that would fit into the existing mounting holes on the board.  I don't see evidence of glue of any sort securing the jacks, just the four solder joints to the board trace pads like on the original board.

I couldn't find my magnifier to really take a good look at the solder joints, and I'll probably just reassemble it so I can use it tonight, but I'm now back to considering what to do to beef it up to avoid another failure.  Maybe hot glue, maybe epoxy, maybe a tiny wire-tie around the board holding the back of the two jacks down to the board, maybe send it off to schoepsnbox to do his thing on it (wondering what that is).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2007, 10:28:06 AM »
Thanks, sometimes a letter can do wonders.

I opened it up last night.  Roland replaced the middle (main) circuit board that the input jacks are attached to with a new one.  The input jacks appear to be the same ones used previously, without the small tabs that would fit into the existing mounting holes on the board.  I don't see evidence of glue of any sort securing the jacks, just the four solder joints to the board trace pads like on the original board.

I couldn't find my magnifier to really take a good look at the solder joints, and I'll probably just reassemble it so I can use it tonight, but I'm now back to considering what to do to beef it up to avoid another failure.  Maybe hot glue, maybe epoxy, maybe a tiny wire-tie around the board holding the back of the two jacks down to the board, maybe send it off to schoepsnbox to do his thing on it (wondering what that is).

If you take a picture of the underside of the jacks and the top side I can recommend a solution.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #149 on: June 08, 2007, 11:26:08 AM »
Here are some photos of the new replacement board - looks just like the old one, but without the torn trace & lifted jack.  ;)

Wide view with board in bottom half of case and internal mics in place:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com