Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8 Recorder Part 3  (Read 8061 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Zoom F8 Recorder Part 3
« on: September 20, 2016, 02:40:00 PM »
The second thread is out to 27 pages so...

Zoom F8 thread part 1
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=172643.0

Part 2
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=175697.0

In depth review of Zoom F8 by tonedeaf
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=175264.0

Product page from Zoom with marketing speak and links to additional info
https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/handy-recorder/zoom-f8-multitrack-field-recorder

You can download the Zoom F8 Firmware v2.00 here: https://zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-f8-multitrack-field-recorder#downloads

Features at a glance -

•8-channel/10-track field audio recorder/mixer
 •8 discrete inputs with locking Neutrik XLR/TRS combo connectors
 •Compact and lightweight aluminum chassis, weighing just 2 pounds (without batteries)
 •High quality mic preamps with up to 75 dB gain, less than -127 dBu EIN, and +4 dB line inputs
 •Support for up to 24-bit/192 kHz recording as well as 96 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 48 kHz, and 44.1 kHz, plus 47.952 kHz/48.048 kHz for HD video compatibility; 16-/24-bit resolution
 •Accurate Time Code (0.2 ppm) I/O on standard BNC connectors; dropframe/non-drop formats with Jam Sync
 •Three different power supply options: 8x AA batteries, external DC battery pack with Hirose connector, or 12V AC adapter (AA’s and DC battery pack not included)
 •Automatic switching of power source from DC to batteries at user-defined voltage levels
 •Dedicated gain control knob, 6-segment LED level meter, and PFL/Solo switch for each channel
 •Phantom power (+48V/+24V) on every input
 •Advanced onboard limiters for input and output
 •High pass filter, phase invert, and Mid-Side decoder
 •Input delay of up to 30 msec per channel / output delay of up to 10 frames per output
 •Compatible with Zoom microphone capsules; optional extender cable enables remote positioning
 •Dual mini-XLR (TA3) balanced Main Outs plus ⅛" stereo mini-jack Sub Out
 •Dedicated headphone output (100mW) with front panel volume control
 •2.4" full-color backlit LCD with monochrome mode
 •Dedicated PFL display with viewable trim settings
 •Dual SD/SDHC/SDXC card slots, up to 512 GB each
 •Records in BWF-compliant WAV or MP3 file formats
 •Support for extensive metadata (BWF and iXML); input time, date, project, scene number, etc.
 •Built-in slate mic/slate tone with front panel switch
 •Built-in tripod mount; camera mount adapter also included
 •Use as an 8-in/4-out USB audio interface (@ 96 kHz)
 •Free Zoom F8 Control App for iOS allows wireless remote control, file renaming, and metadata entry

Firmware 2.0 update

1.   Added Trim Knob option that enables adjusting fader/pan settings with input trim knobs.
2.   Added the function of moving the previously recorded take to the new FALSE TAKE folder.
3.   Expanded Function Shortcuts as well as Shortcut List Menu.
4.   Added the function of selecting alphabet letters for the scene number.
5.   Added Trim Link function for adjusting the input levels of multiple tracks simultaneously.
6.   Added the function of editing track name in Meta data.
7.   Added the function of showing track names on the level meters.
8.   Added the function that enables selecting “Scene_***” for the format of take name.
9.   Added the function of adjusting L/R track volume.
10.   Added SOLO function that enables monitoring signals of specific tracks only during playback.
11.   Added sound report function for exporting CSV format file including recorded take information, etc.
12.   Changed the location of Next Take menu on MENU>REC>Next Take to MENU>META DATA (for next take).
13.   Added the function of applying edits of the selected card to the other card when two SD cards are inserted.
14.   Changed the track order of Poly WAV recorded files from Tr1, Tr2, …, Tr8, L, R to L, R, Tr1, Tr2, …, Tr8.

You can download the Zoom F8 Firmware v2.00 here: https://zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-f8-multitrack-field-recorder#downloads
modded Naks > RAD MS2 > DR60d

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
Re: Zoom F8 Recorder Part 3
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 02:42:56 PM »
Still haven't pulled the trigger on one of these yet but I am still interested. Mainly for the track count, preamp sound and remote control.

Most of my taping opportunities are 4 tracks or less so a deck like this would be sort of overkill for me but I see myself getting one this year.

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline robin746

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 03:11:01 PM »
If you read back through the Audio stream on my blog, I have quite a few articles now on the F8. A bit late for early adopters, but then again I am not one!

In particular I cover powering options in some detail. I also have a list of firmware suggestions and a list of improvements that could come with a new F8 Pro model. (This has been noted by Zoom themselves, and so... fingers are crossed.)

Check it out:
http://www.theatreofnoise.com/search/label/audio
Theatre of Noise contains info on recorders and mics. Plus rants about film, observations on politics, and other stuff.

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Newbie
    • IronFilm
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 08:35:19 PM »
Most of my taping opportunities are 4 tracks or less so a deck like this would be sort of overkill for me but I see myself getting one this year.

Then the cheaper Zoom F4 is right for you?

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 11:04:47 PM »

Then the cheaper Zoom F4 is right for you?

Not at all really. Why plunk down 650 for a four channel deck when I can do basically the same functions with my current $150 four channel recorder. For another $350 you get a color screen, twice the channels and remote operation. I plan to wire up an 8 channel insert snake and make a few bucks doing multitrack live recordings for the locals...you know for spare change and a few drinks and whatnot.

stevetoney

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 11:26:46 PM »
For what it costs and with its small form factor I kinda think of the extra channels as bonus channels rather than overkill channels. Semantics perhaps but not really.  :hmmm:

Offline robin746

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 10:18:14 AM »
The value proposition will be different for everyone. Had the F4 been released first, I would no doubt have bought it instead, since the savings are significant. I don't need to mix on the recorder and don't own anything with the Apple name on it, so the Bluetooth app connectivity is useless... to me. Most of the time 4 channels is plenty, and the improved physical interface would be very welcome.

All depends, really, on what you need a recorder for.
Theatre of Noise contains info on recorders and mics. Plus rants about film, observations on politics, and other stuff.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (59)
  • "Are you Zman!?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 10:40:34 AM »
How's does this thing compare to a R-44, sound-wise?

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • taperssection member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 11:53:49 AM »
How's does this thing compare to a R-44, sound-wise?
My F8 preamps are much cleaner and quieter than my r-44. No comparison really.

Offline robin746

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 01:38:16 PM »
The R-44 always had quite poor pre-amps. EIN is measured at -113 dBu (A weighted). Zoom F4/F8 are measured at -127 dBu.

Zoom needs to be compared to Sound Devices, Zaxcom, Sonosax, and Nagra. Unfortunately I don't have the resources myself to do that. Anyone?

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline robin746

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 07:41:55 PM »
To save people the bother of clicking through, that discussion is about the following comparison, originally in German, here translated. You'll need to check out the German page for the embedded sounds.

Stephan Lembke concludes:

"As hoped, the sound difference between the Zoom F8 and the Sound Devices 722 is quite marginal and aspects such as the choice of microphones and their placement have a bigger factor for the final result sound recording."

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 08:51:26 PM »
To save people the bother of clicking through, that discussion is about the following comparison, originally in German, here translated. You'll need to check out the German page for the embedded sounds.

Stephan Lembke concludes:

"As hoped, the sound difference between the Zoom F8 and the Sound Devices 722 is quite marginal and aspects such as the choice of microphones and their placement have a bigger factor for the final result sound recording."

The film / TV sound tests like one you linked can be fun, but don't give those of us who record music much to go on.  I'm waiting for someone to do a true comparison like you're suggesting in an actual concert situation, using a matched pair of mics and in [gasp!] stereo.  Why is it that mic manufacturers always put out lots of music samples, but you almost never see that with recorders, even at the professional level?  Maybe it's because of the bold part of your quote above.
DPA 4061 | Line Audio CM3 | Naiant X-Q
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24
Tascam DR-70D JWMod | Sony PCM-M10

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Offline robin746

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 06:52:41 AM »
The film / TV sound tests like one you linked can be fun, but don't give those of us who record music much to go on.  I'm waiting for someone to do a true comparison like you're suggesting in an actual concert situation, using a matched pair of mics and in [gasp!] stereo.  Why is it that mic manufacturers always put out lots of music samples, but you almost never see that with recorders, even at the professional level?  Maybe it's because of the bold part of your quote above.

Your point is well taken; sample music recordings would be useful. Since that is not my area, I will have to pass on to other readers.

But music is relatively easy to record and is a lot more forgiving than trying to capture nature sounds, ambiance, and so on. For one thing, music can tell us nothing about the self-noise of a microphone or recorder, since that is well masked. For another, the quality of a music recording is determined largely by the quality of the music. Our natural tendency to judge that first -- on aesthetics, performance, and so on. So sometimes even poor fidelity concert recordings are lauded.

This is why even professionals were happy using previous generation hand-held recorders which would be completely unusable for my applications. But for dialogue, music etc. they were adequate.

Finally, a point of fact: the recordings linked to are certainly in stereo. The author used a pair of Sennheiser MKH 8040 mics in ORTF configuration. In fact, it seems he had two pairs, one for each recorder. Not many people have four 8040s on hand!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 06:54:14 AM by robin746 »

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 07:05:16 AM »

Not many people have four 8040s on hand!

Lots of members here have multiple pairs of high end microphones.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 07:55:24 AM »
If you want a true comparison wouldn't running a single pair of mics with a pair of XLR splitters afterwards in the 2 different recorders be a good enough comparison

I have done this before to compare pre amps and found it pretty easy to setup and provide good results.

As long as only one of the preamps/decks supplies phantom you should be good to go
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline voltronic

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 06:46:25 PM »

Your point is well taken; sample music recordings would be useful. Since that is not my area, I will have to pass on to other readers.

But music is relatively easy to record and is a lot more forgiving than trying to capture nature sounds, ambiance, and so on. For one thing, music can tell us nothing about the self-noise of a microphone or recorder, since that is well masked. For another, the quality of a music recording is determined largely by the quality of the music. Our natural tendency to judge that first -- on aesthetics, performance, and so on. So sometimes even poor fidelity concert recordings are lauded.

This is why even professionals were happy using previous generation hand-held recorders which would be completely unusable for my applications. But for dialogue, music etc. they were adequate.

While you may be right that as listeners we gravitate towards the quality of the performance first, I think you're grossly over-generalizing, especially in the bold sections above.

I have great respect for people like you who do ambient recording, but to say "music is relatively easy to record"... seriously???  Also, for the type of quiet acoustic music in quiet spaces that some of us do, self noise of a recorder and/or microphone can definitely come into play and be audible.  For your recordings you may need a recorder to have lower noise at high gain levels, but some of us record music that has very similar requirements.  It wasn't until I was able to get my current equipment that I've been somewhat satisfied with the gain vs noise.

Also I'm not sure what professional music recording engineers you know that use handheld recorders, but all of the ones I've encountered use Sound Devices, Nagra, JoeCo on location gigs - definitely not cheap handheld recorders.

Finally, a point of fact: the recordings linked to are certainly in stereo. The author used a pair of Sennheiser MKH 8040 mics in ORTF configuration. In fact, it seems he had two pairs, one for each recorder. Not many people have four 8040s on hand!

Thanks for the clarification - I wasn't commenting on the recordings on that German site, but all of the other demo videos I've seen of the F8 which are using a single lav or boom mic and was just expressing frustration that no one seems to think it's worthwhile to demonstrate how these units perform with music.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 07:01:04 PM by voltronic »
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Offline voltronic

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 06:59:31 PM »
If you want a true comparison wouldn't running a single pair of mics with a pair of XLR splitters afterwards in the 2 different recorders be a good enough comparison

I have done this before to compare pre amps and found it pretty easy to setup and provide good results.

As long as only one of the preamps/decks supplies phantom you should be good to go

That's pretty much what I'm waiting for someone to do.  Either that or 4 matched mics, 2 identical arrays stacked directly on top as is done for mic shootouts.

Something I've wondered about for a while with a splitter setup is if having only one preamp supplying P48 could influence the comparison.  I'm thinking about if one unit had an iffy / off-spec phantom supply, or one that leaked noise into the signal path where you obviously wouldn't hear it when phantom was disabled.  I think I remember reading here that some of the older cheap Zoom handhelds had phantom issues, though I'm sure they have sorted that out on the F8.  My OCD self would want to run two takes, with a different deck supplying phantom for each take.
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline H₂O

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 08:30:54 PM »
I have only done this with high quality pre-amps that have adequate protection and provide solid 48v phantom

I know Mark Nutter of Sonic Sense also did this a lot back in the late 90's - early 00's when he ran comparisons of preamps and to experiment with various mic/pre-amp combos

Others have done this as well

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:33:48 PM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Online pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 11:10:13 PM »
Hey, does someone here have the email address for efksound3d who makes the extended knobs for the F8?  I don't see it on his Facebook page (of course I could have missed it) and I need it for PayPal.

Thanks!
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh40, md421, md431, md541
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, pueblo pending
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, dr70d, zoom f8, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job!

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2016, 09:59:13 AM »
Hey, does someone here have the email address for efksound3d who makes the extended knobs for the F8?  I don't see it on his Facebook page (of course I could have missed it) and I need it for PayPal.

Thanks!

Please contact ekfsound3d via Facebook.

Edited by BSkalinder to remove email address at the request of efksound3d.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 11:05:51 AM by Brian Skalinder »
MK41v's / MK4v's / MK4's / Telefunken FET M60 Cards and Hypers / AT853s
KCY 250/5 and Nbob KCY > naiant PFA or IPA or Nbox  / SP-SPSB-11 Battery Box
Zoom F8 / Zoom F4 / Sony M-10 /  SD 702 / Mixpre-6

Online pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2016, 05:00:14 PM »

Thanks!

Please contact ekfsound3d via Facebook.

Edited by BSkalinder to remove email address at the request of efksound3d.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 11:06:04 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh40, md421, md431, md541
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, pueblo pending
Recorders/converters: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, dr70d, zoom f8, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (18)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2016, 06:55:56 PM »
B&h sent out the daily deals email and it has a unique code in it for 100$ off

If anyone is looking to buy one id be happy to give you my code, not sure it works like that as it says "my individual code"

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 11:59:51 AM »
I have a code, too, if anyone wants to try.
Mics: DPA 4023 / AKG C426B / AKG ck61 ck62
Recorders: Zoom F8 / Sound Devices MixPre-6 / Sony M-10
Preamps: Tinybox

Online pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 12:24:33 PM »
New knobs for the F8.  Service was really quick.  He printed them on a Friday, shipped them on a Monday (from Spain) and I received them the following Monday.  They fit on well.  I used a silver sharpie to highlight the edge of the position marker on each knob.  We will have to see how they work in operation.  I have small hands, so the original knobs were not really a problem for me.  These do look nicer however.

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2016, 01:52:51 PM »
I also have the knobs. My suggestion is to use the two sided sticky tape the guy who prints these suggests (or something similar). I love the knobs but they can come off while rustling around in your bag etc. Mine have been reliable with the tape...

Online pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2016, 02:11:08 PM »
I was wondering whether there was a more reliable means of attaching the knobs, besides friction.

Thanks!

Offline OS_Taper

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Shows on the LMA
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2017, 03:20:25 PM »
Didn't see it in the thread, Firmware version 3.0 is now available for download and installation.

Functions added in Version 3.0
Monitoring input signals of specific tracks without recording
Saving multiple settings for signals sent to headphone output (Headphone Routing)
Setting the keys held (Key Hold Target)
Backing up and loading settings (Backup/Load Settings)
Setting the level meter reference (Reference Level)
Showing total recording time during long recording periods (Time Counter)
Using an FRC-8 as a controller (Connect)
Setting the type of keyboard connected to FRC-8  (Keyboard Type)
Setting user keys used by FRC-8 (User Keys)
Setting the power supply used by the FRC-8 (Power Source)
Setting the FRC-8LED brightness (LED Brightness)
Updating the FRC-8 firmware

https://zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-f8-multitrack-field-recorder#downloads

Mics: Neumann KM150s,  TLM107s
Recorders: Zoom F8, Zoom H4N, Olympus LS-11

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2017, 04:12:01 PM »
i like the total recordng time feature!

Offline OS_Taper

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Shows on the LMA
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2017, 04:19:43 PM »
i like the total recordng time feature!

Agreed!   That freaked me out the first time I used it and noticed towards the end of the show the counter was in the single digits...

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Site Supporter
  • it's recreational
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2017, 01:01:02 PM »
Alright I give up.  How do you set it up to record stereo tracks?  I have ch 1/2 linked and 3/4 linked but it seems no matter what setting I pick I either get 4-track ply waves or dual-mono stereo tracks.  I want to record 2 stereo tracks, one of channels 1/2 and one of 3/4.  Do I have to unlink them?  Thanks

re: replacement knobs-- Has anyone looked into popping off the original knobs and designing one that connects to the pot directly?  It seems like the ones available now slide over the stock knobs, correct?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 01:04:08 PM by drewloo »
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.  -FZ

Offline Lou Judson

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2017, 09:47:30 PM »
It is really quite simple. In the REC menu, the first two items are Rec to SD1 and Rec to SD2. In those options, choose "mono/Stero WAV" and any tracks selected as stereo with record stereo WAVs. YOu can have different settings on each SD even.

Did you read the manual? It's on P 23.

Check it out!

Online pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2017, 01:06:21 AM »
Alright I give up.  How do you set it up to record stereo tracks?  I have ch 1/2 linked and 3/4 linked but it seems no matter what setting I pick I either get 4-track ply waves or dual-mono stereo tracks.  I want to record 2 stereo tracks, one of channels 1/2 and one of 3/4.  Do I have to unlink them?  Thanks

re: replacement knobs-- Has anyone looked into popping off the original knobs and designing one that connects to the pot directly?  It seems like the ones available now slide over the stock knobs, correct?

The ones mentioned earlier in part 2 of this thread are the only ones I have seen, and they do fit over the stock knobs.  Work surprisingly well and look nice.  Service from the vendor is very good.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2017, 02:38:18 PM »

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Site Supporter
  • it's recreational
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2017, 06:09:01 AM »
It is really quite simple. In the REC menu, the first two items are Rec to SD1 and Rec to SD2. In those options, choose "mono/Stero WAV" and any tracks selected as stereo with record stereo WAVs. YOu can have different settings on each SD even.

Check it out!

:)  Yeah I did RTFM and it seemed pretty straightforward but the results were not what I expected.  Perhaps I was looking at the wrong output files or something.   Thanks for the help.

re: the knobs- the reason I asked about them is that the guy who makes the mounts in the retail section is only about an hour away from me and I was thinking about looking into if he could make some knobs that might fit the actual pot on the f8 and not slide over the existing ones as the ones currently offered do.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 06:10:34 AM by drewloo »
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.  -FZ

Offline efksound

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2017, 11:37:26 AM »

The original F8 trim knobs are glued and have no shaft , so anything you want to put to replace them will have to go glued as well to hold on

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2017, 02:16:45 PM »
I've been a long time R-44 user.  I am at the point where I just need more than 4 channels and want to entertain getting an F8.  What kind of price are people paying and where?  I see them all over Kingdom Come for $899.99.  Anyone pay less than that?

I'd also love to see links for the knobs, breakout cable, and case options on page 1 so I don't have to re-read 50+ pages of posts.
Mics: Schoeps MK5 G MP, Schoeps CCM 4 Lg MP, Schoeps MK8 MP, nBob cables > PFA, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Naiant Tinybox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6, Sony PCM-M10

http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider

Online pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2017, 02:23:05 PM »
The advertised price is pretty well controlled and standardized by Zoom.  The recent price reduction to $899 is the best I have seen for a new unit.

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Site Supporter
  • it's recreational
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2017, 02:33:37 PM »

The original F8 trim knobs are glued and have no shaft , so anything you want to put to replace them will have to go glued as well to hold on

I popped one of the knobs off as soon as I got it thinking I was going to order a pair of your knobs and that's how they attached to the F8.  Only when I read a bit more did I see that yours slipped over the stock knobs. 

I was able to pop it back on without the need for glue (well, yet anyways...) and was just kind of thinking out loud about bigger knobs that attach directly to the pots.  I'm not sure how good a 3-d printer could do with the size of the hole needed for knobs to attach directly to the pots, however.  Thanks for chiming in, I'll probably end up getting a set of your knobs anyways.

Online pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2017, 02:47:53 PM »
I certainly recommend getting knobs from Efksound.  Service and communication were stellar.

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2017, 03:35:35 PM »
Anyone have any brilliant suggestions for rechargeable AA's to use in the standard caddy and any loose insight on runtime with them? I know it will vary depending on configuration.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline fivedollarbill

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2017, 05:40:35 PM »
Anyone have any brilliant suggestions for rechargeable AA's to use in the standard caddy and any loose insight on runtime with them? I know it will vary depending on configuration.

There were runtime tests/data in the detailed review of the F8 posted somewhere in this recorders forum.

Online pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2017, 12:00:37 PM »
For those considering an F8 (or an F4), it appears that the current price drop is the result of a rebate that is only available for a limited time. 

https://www.gothamsound.com/news/f4-f8-instant-rebate

Same info on other sites and Zoom's FB postings.

Ends February 6.

Offline Groove Fan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2017, 06:58:43 PM »
Hey I can't seem to find the answer in the manual as to why sometimes the mixer pots get grayed out like this:

Offline mepaca

• Taperssection Regular
  • taperssection member
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2017, 04:45:35 AM »
Hey I can't seem to find the answer in the manual as to why sometimes the mixer pots get grayed out like this:
Is the track armed?

Offline Groove Fan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2017, 07:11:58 AM »
Armed or not, I get these grey'ed out seemingly random.  I have the turn the knobs past the set point quite a bit for them to change and value and no longer remain greyed out. It feels like a some sort of safe mode.

Offline efksound

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2017, 07:23:45 AM »
You need to move the trim knobs of these channels to the previous trim/fader/pan position (indicated by the position of the grey knob)  , so they activate, once activated they will become black  and you can adjust trims/faders/pan again
(remember the F8 trim knobs are not encoders or are motorized)

Offline Groove Fan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2017, 11:25:12 AM »
This seems odd to me. At what point do they become deactivated and why? I still can't find anything about it in the manual.

I haven't used this out in the field yet, just testing at home. I just know that at a certain point I look over at the screen and the channels turn grey.

Offline efksound

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2017, 11:36:46 AM »
if you adjust your trim on one channel and then change the trim to fader and move the pot to adjust the level when you get back to trim it will be in gray because you changed the physical position of the pot in the fader section, so to be able to adjust trim again you need to bring back the pot to the physical last position it was in the trim section and then it will become black (active)  and you will be able to change trim values again 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 11:45:10 AM by efksound »

Offline Groove Fan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2017, 11:47:32 AM »
Understood! Thank you.

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2017, 02:34:35 PM »
The R-44 always had quite poor pre-amps. EIN is measured at -113 dBu (A weighted). Zoom F4/F8 are measured at -127 dBu.

Zoom needs to be compared to Sound Devices, Zaxcom, Sonosax, and Nagra. Unfortunately I don't have the resources myself to do that. Anyone?

R-44 is poor preamps???
Mics:
DPA 4028 (wide cards)
DPA 4023 (cards)
Earthworks TC25 (omnis) 
AT853u (cards, hypers)
Sound Professionals (omnis)

Pres and a/d's:
Oade ACM Grace Lunatec V3
bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Sound Professionals 2 wire battbox w/ rolloff

Recorders:
Oade CM Edirol R-44
Edirol R-09

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2017, 04:27:12 PM »
will the F8 have a seamless transition from external battery to internal battery when the external goes dead?
Mics:
DPA 4028 (wide cards)
DPA 4023 (cards)
Earthworks TC25 (omnis) 
AT853u (cards, hypers)
Sound Professionals (omnis)

Pres and a/d's:
Oade ACM Grace Lunatec V3
bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Sound Professionals 2 wire battbox w/ rolloff

Recorders:
Oade CM Edirol R-44
Edirol R-09

Offline ramallo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2017, 08:16:50 PM »
will the F8 have a seamless transition from external battery to internal battery when the external goes dead?

Yes, a charming transition

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2017, 02:48:30 AM »

Yes, a charming transition

Charming, even!  Better than just seamless!  ;)

Online pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2017, 10:41:28 AM »
Zipless!

Offline frank10

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2017, 03:39:27 PM »
I posted the same message to the F4 thread, I post even here because, the units are practically the same design, so it could be useful:

I have a serious problem with my unit (F4), I will tell you after this test: I would like to know if it's only my unit or if it's a design flaw, so it could be an interesting test.

This is an empirically method to check the problem of my previous post (leakage current on the case):
Could you test this:

EDIT: test to be made with the unit powered by the transformer, without other cables connected.

get a multimeter, put at 20V AC, put black probe to connect the external metal hirose connector, and the red probe to the rear metal battery slot.
(Probably it's sufficient touching only with the black probe...)
What does it show the multimeter?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:31:29 PM by frank10 »

Kohakoo

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2017, 05:22:23 AM »
Hi, Hope I'm in the right place for this. Can anyone tell me how to set up a Cardioid Mic and a Bidirectional Mic to do Mid-Side recording  with the F8.
I have tried different ways and have to end up editing in post to achieve this.
According to the manual, it appears as though you need a dedicated MS Mic to do this. I bought the F8 after reading it can decode Mid-Side.

Thank you Brian

Offline dynamicalories

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2017, 10:54:52 AM »
What are people recommending these days regarding a external battery for the F8?

Offline dynamicalories

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2017, 02:37:51 PM »
So I've run my Zoom F8 for two different shows now. Both nights the meters read peaks close to 0 (because the mic inputs are so hot), but when I looked at the files later, peaks are actually like -12. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any way to get more accurate readings from the Zoom meters?

Offline fguidry

• Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2017, 02:44:00 PM »
Are your meters set to Peak or VU? (Page 116 of the F8 manual)

Fran

Offline dynamicalories

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2017, 03:07:14 PM »
I'll double check that. But I actually also emailed Zoom and they said to check my fader settings. My faders are set at -33.5, which is how it came from the factory. They said that if I set it to 0 then it will record at the same level as the meters read. But then my question on top of that is: if the meters are peaking above 0, but the recording itself is peaking at -12, will it clip when the meters read 0 or when the meters read +12? Sorry if these are dumb questions....

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2017, 03:20:56 PM »
From my understanding the faders (schematic in manual) don't affect the  recordings, unless you are talking about the L/R track; they (can) affect sound going out outputs like main out...

and ... Is Dual Channel Rec on?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 07:27:25 PM by rippleish20 »

Offline dynamicalories

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2017, 03:52:43 PM »
Are your meters set to Peak or VU? (Page 116 of the F8 manual)

Fran

Okay, from reading through the manual, I gather that for my purposes, I was to see Peak Only. Is that correct?

Online pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2017, 06:52:04 PM »
I clearly hadn't been paying attention, but Zoom has apparently put out a smaller bag that fits both the F4 and F8.  I hadn't seen it referenced here before.  I just wanted a bag to protect the unit in use and thought the initial bags produced by Zoom and Portabrace for the F8 were too large/expensive.  This seems to fit the bill.  Picked one up and it looks just fine for its intended purpose.  Sized more like the Portabrace AR-Z8, but only $89.99.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 06:53:59 PM by pohaku »

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2017, 08:42:19 PM »
I have the bigger bag but I also didn't notice they added the smaller one.

Offline lsd2525

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2017, 08:57:36 AM »
This may have been covered before, but will the 1/8" out pass a clean, line level output? Or is it adjusted by a "volume" control on the unit?
Mics: ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-70D

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2017, 09:34:17 AM »
This may have been covered before, but will the 1/8" out pass a clean, line level output? Or is it adjusted by a "volume" control on the unit?

All outputs are subject to (incoming) trim. You can also adjust the volume of the specific output channel and/or the outputs in general. Outputs are consumer level...

Offline lsd2525

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2017, 09:58:13 AM »

All outputs are subject to (incoming) trim. You can also adjust the volume of the specific output channel and/or the outputs in general. Outputs are consumer level...

Thanks. So if a F8 is running two sets of mics and a stereo soundboard feed, just the channels with the soundboard feed can be sent to the out, correct?
Mics: ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2017, 11:54:30 AM »

Thanks. So if a F8 is running two sets of mics and a stereo soundboard feed, just the channels with the soundboard feed can be sent to the out, correct?

Yes. I take advantage of this to stream out the 1/8" output (1/8" out -> sonicport a/d converter -> ipad via lightning port). If I tried to stream a matrix of my microphones and the SBD, I would have to worry about the delay (assuming microphones are back at the SBD). With the F8, I just limit what is sent to the output to the SBD.

The output routing controls allow you to chose what subset of the inputs to send to an output and allows you set gain for any of those inputs, affecting only the sound coming out of the output as opposed to the recording. You could, for example, have a mixture of microphone input and sbd input but lower the level of the microphone input relative to the SBD input, all without affecting the recordings.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:56:26 AM by rippleish20 »

Offline lsd2525

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2017, 12:06:16 PM »

Yes. I take advantage of this to stream out the 1/8" output (1/8" out -> sonicport a/d converter -> ipad via lightning port). If I tried to stream a matrix of my microphones and the SBD, I would have to worry about the delay (assuming microphones are back at the SBD). With the F8, I just limit what is sent to the output to the SBD.

The output routing controls allow you to chose what subset of the inputs to send to an output and allows you set gain for any of those inputs, affecting only the sound coming out of the output as opposed to the recording. You could, for example, have a mixture of microphone input and sbd input but lower the level of the microphone input relative to the SBD input, all without affecting the recordings.

Perfect. Thanks!!

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2017, 02:31:15 PM »
No affiliation but B&H has $100 off the F8 using code BHNAB17 if you are on the fence and not considering the Mixpre 6.
Mics: Schoeps MK5 G MP, Schoeps CCM 4 Lg MP, Schoeps MK8 MP, nBob cables > PFA, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Naiant Tinybox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6, Sony PCM-M10

http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2017, 04:12:44 PM »
im about to post mine in the yard sale. Green 3d printed knobs, two 64gb transcend sd cards that are approved, ted made custom chopped right angle 1/4" cables for line input on ch's 1&2, a set of power cables for naztechs on the dc input and hirose too, gakcable for tekkeon to hirose external batt input too and a tekkeon 3450 battery with dip switches for locking voltage selection with minimal use purchased here unused last summer

Original packaging, and receipt from b&h included.

I just stole a 788ssd on ebay for a price i couldnt pass up after watching them a few weeks is the only reason im selling it.

Price negotiable and payment plans for veteran ts members possible as well

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2017, 10:42:22 PM »
Hows everyone powering these? Just picked one up need to figure out the best external battery options. 

The smaller the better any recommendations TS peeps?
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21/sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V/nbob | AKG c460b/c480b/a60/Naiant actives - ck61,62,63,69 ;ck1,3,8;ck1x,2x,3x | AT853, AT933 | CA-11c,o
Pres: Naiant Littlebox x 2 | Tinybox | Shure FP24 | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 set, JW Mod AKG 460 bodies, AKG CK1x and 3x singles

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2017, 01:00:05 AM »
I was using tekkeons on the dc inout and the hirose input simultaneously. Then i caught the naztech pb15000's on that time frame where amazon had them <50$ and i snagged a couple of those

Nice cables for both from Ted, never a single issue with powering my f8!

Offline Benderman11

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2017, 10:22:53 AM »
https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/frc-8-f-series-remote-controller#overview

Field mixing board for zoom F4 & 8.  Not sure I would want to carry another piece of gear around but depends on your application.
mics: Joly Modded Oktava MK-012MSP, Telefunken M60 stereo set, Earthworks M30mp
Pre: Sound Devices 442, Sound Devices MP-2
Recorders: Zoom F8, Tascam DR-60Dmkii

Offline OS_Taper

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Shows on the LMA
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2017, 08:53:57 AM »
Hows everyone powering these? Just picked one up need to figure out the best external battery options. 

The smaller the better any recommendations TS peeps?

Although I use a RavPower RP-PB14 as I wanted the larger capacity (23,000mAh) and batter meter, it is quite large and relatively expensive (around $100).  You can also pick up a couple of these little guys pretty cheap:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-1800mAh-Super-Rechargeable-Pack-Protable-Li-ion-Battery-EU-Plug-For-CCTV-/351953126667?hash=item51f20a850b:g:q3gAAOSw241Ycy9y

They do not have meters and are only 1800mAh, but I am able to get a little over 2 hours powering the F8 with 4 mics using phantom power.

hope this helps~
-Don

Offline Chomps

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2017, 03:34:19 PM »
Has anyone run a SD MP2 with the F8?
I connected to the F8 with XLR and my signal is through the roof. No gain on both the deck and pre.

Any advice?
Microtech Gefell m200/M20/M21/nBob Actives>PFA
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853
nBox Elite(4 Channel) nBox Platinum /Sound Devices MP2/Edirol UA5 Busman B2+MOD
Zoom F8/Edirol R-44ACM*R-4*R-09HR/Sony M10

Online pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2017, 03:56:36 PM »
XLR on the F8 is mic in, not line in.  In the F8, the combo input jacks, are XLR mic in and TRS line in.  You need an XLR to TRS connector so you are going line in to the F8 through the TRS input jack.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:29:25 PM by pohaku »

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2017, 04:21:03 PM »
I like my F8 but thats one of the "features" that annoy me. You *have* to use 1/4" connectors to the F8 for line in (20 db pad).

Offline Chomps

« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2017, 08:16:04 PM »
Lesson learned and will go line in this weekend.

Has anyone purchased the 3D printed knobs from the guy in Europe?
I have a set that should be here at the end of the week.
How exactly are they secured to the existing stock knobs?

Keith
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2017, 08:38:58 PM »

Keith

I have a set. I wold highly recommend using something to secure them. The guy who makes then told about some two sided tape (very very thin). I wrap it around the knobs and then add the printed knob. Before securing them I had trouble with them falling off occasionally but haven'r had trouble since the tape. Ithink any two sided tape cut to size would be ok or maybe someone else has other suggestions

Online pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2017, 09:16:34 PM »
Mine fit snug enough that I haven't added anything to secure them.  Probably a good idea though. 

Offline Chomps

« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2017, 08:10:33 AM »

Keith

Awesome tip on the double sided tape. I was hoping these did not need to be glued to the existing stock knobs. I guess once they are on they are on and if I sold someone else would want the nicer bigger knobs.

Really starting to like this deck but am not a fan of the stock pre's. I run the nbox with the MG21 actives in 1/2 and also run the SD MP2 with the M20 actives on 3/4.
With the shapeways 4 channel DIN/DINa mount it makes for a really tight sounding rig.

I also like the option of taking an extra two channels from other taper friends to mix in and get a different sound. I took a buddies AKG 414's at a festival a few weeks ago in addition to the SBD and man what a full killer mix it was.

Thanks for all the tips.

Keith

I have a set. I wold highly recommend using something to secure them. The guy who makes then told about some two sided tape (very very thin). I wrap it around the knobs and then add the printed knob. Before securing them I had trouble with them falling off occasionally but haven'r had trouble since the tape. Ithink any two sided tape cut to size would be ok or maybe someone else has other suggestions
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853

Offline mepaca

• Taperssection Regular
  • taperssection member
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2017, 05:36:51 PM »
Just picked up the F-control and used it last night. It worked flawlessly. All machine and menu controls are on there. Headphone mixes
are a snap. https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/frc-8-f-series-remote-controller

Offline Chomps

« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2017, 01:25:47 PM »
Mine fit snug enough that I haven't added anything to secure them.  Probably a good idea though.

Mine snapped right on. Nothing needed to secure as well.
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2017, 01:55:27 PM »

Mine snapped right on. Nothing needed to secure as well.

Mine snapped on too, but loosened with usage. I would still recommend tape also...

Offline Lennert

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2017, 04:27:37 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if anybody else would like to have the following features for the zoom F8;

-If the channel knobs are in fader function let the fader go from -infinity to +20db with unity (0db) at 12 o’clock, or at least have 0db at 12o'clock.
-Turn the zoom F8 into a 4 channel + mix recorder: the top 4 channel knobs of the zoom F8 controls the gain of channel 1 to 4 and the 4 bottom knobs (the ones from channel 5 to 8) controls the fader of channel 1 to 4. Dual channel recording would be still possible but would be controlled inside the menu of the channel and not with the channel knobs outside the menu.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 1.032 seconds with 109 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com