Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: fr2-le two questions  (Read 6168 times)

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
fr2-le two questions
« on: May 08, 2010, 12:01:56 PM »
Do any of the software updates allow true deletion of files?
Do the RCA monitor outs function during recording (thus allowing for a backup recording on another machine; I wish this recorder had a spdif out.)?

Thanks,
Dave
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: fr2-le two questions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 03:08:31 PM »
Do the RCA monitor outs function during recording (thus allowing for a backup recording on another machine; I wish this recorder had a spdif out.)?

For #2, yes the RCAs function during recording. Don't turn the tiny output knob past about 12 though or it will distort the output.

I never tried to delete files so I don't remember if any of the updates do or not.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 03:32:39 PM »

For #2, yes the RCAs function during recording. Don't turn the tiny output knob past about 12 though or it will distort the output.

I never tried to delete files so I don't remember if any of the updates do or not.
i found the same thing
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Vurki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 12:06:46 PM »
I have other question: HOW bad the headphone amp is? People say it's noisy but I'm wondering how noisy. Is it so bad that it's useless, or just a little annoying? I'm just wondering if I can examine my recordings with just FR2 and headphones while I'm travelling and I have no computer.

And that question about updates concerning deleting files is important too.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 02:26:22 PM »
i never used the headphone jack itself
but i have used the rca outs which are on the same volume control as the headphones and i have not noticed any difference in my actual recordings to cf and ones done via rca out to my camcorder
now if the actual headphone jack has a different noise issue i am not sure

i'll try and record some files and delete them
i know you can delete/reformat the whole card without any problems, i just have not tried to delete one file out of 3 for example
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 02:52:26 PM »
I find it to be annoying but not bad enough to rule out this as a choice of a recorder. Once the gain and headphone volume are set good, I don't think it would be an issue. Plus you should remember it should sound better on the computer.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 08:47:44 PM »
I have other question: HOW bad the headphone amp is? People say it's noisy but I'm wondering how noisy. Is it so bad that it's useless, or just a little annoying? I'm just wondering if I can examine my recordings with just FR2 and headphones while I'm travelling and I have no computer.

How critical do you want to be with your recordings (as rastasean gets to). General gist, sure have at. But I wouldn't make any adjustments based on what you hear above about 8khz. There is an overpowering hiss that's present and I can't remember if there is a LF hum as well. I only used it sparingly to make sure I was getting audio and a general idea of what it sounded like. This was all on the FR2-LE unit, so maybe the original FR2's is better, dunno.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 09:56:14 PM »

And that question about updates concerning deleting files is important too.

you should be fine just as long as you don't turn it way up. Just take everything you hear with a grain of salt.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 09:15:22 AM »
The headphone amp is fine as long as you use low impedance efficient headphones - I used HD 25-1 which ar 70-Ohms and 120dB efficient.

I think the non-deletion was deliberate as some cards could cause problems if you tried to delete some tracks.  Best to have several cards, mark which tracks you want, transfer them to PC (or Mac) and then re-format the card in the FR-2LE to delete everything.

Offline batchain

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 01:57:29 PM »
In addition regarding the delete capabilities. You can not delete via the FR2-LE and if you try to delete or edit a file on the card from the computer  it makes the card unreadable forcing a reformat of the card. So make sure you have moved your recording off the card to your computer for editing.
Primary: Peluso CEMC6/CK-4/CK-21 > Fostex FR2-LE or Tascam DR-680
Secondary: Edirol R09-HR

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 10:41:11 AM »
In addition regarding the delete capabilities. You can not delete via the FR2-LE and if you try to delete or edit a file on the card from the computer  it makes the card unreadable forcing a reformat of the card. So make sure you have moved your recording off the card to your computer for editing.

Basically, the best way to delete is to copy all the files to the PC and then re-format the card in the FR-2LE.

This deletes all the files and makes it a blank formatted card again.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 05:30:18 AM »
There is an overpowering hiss that's present and I can't remember if there is a LF hum as well.

In other words the headphone amp sucks, despite the excuses some are making for it.

Wish I had never bought mine. There is a lot more I hate about it (inconvenient battery system, disappointing gain, can't delete single files). Would much rather have an R-09HR or Sony M10 w/mini mics for stealth and add a MixPre , MP2, or littlebox for open when I want to use phantom powered mics.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline willndmb

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 09:28:55 AM »
battery???
you can use rc or aa how much more do you want

if you go the m10 i would get a lb to power your stealth mics correct and at the same time give you 48v power

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 11:03:49 AM »
battery???

yeah, i don't get that one either.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 02:13:27 PM »
battery???

yeah, i don't get that one either.

I had bad luck with tamiyas (one went bad in a brief time).

You can use 4 AA's but they don't last too long and you still have to deal with the pain in the ass battery sled and the cable that is hard to keep from being pinched under it. I'd rather have a machine where you just drop in AA's.

If you leave the battery sled in the machine the batteries go dead within 2 weeks.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com