Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps CMR  (Read 50101 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Schoeps CMR
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 03:22:08 PM »
Enough to make you want to consider moving to the darkside. :P

I'd imagine if these are low power consumption, 3 wire designs requiring 4-10v power that the Church ST-9100 preamp would work with them.  So $1100 for a pair of the CMR's and $200 for the ST-9100  -- comes in at about $1300, around the same price as the Nbox solution, no?  I have no idea how the ST-9100 would stack up to the Nbox, nor really if it would work (need to ask Chris).  But this might be another solution for a compact schoeps solution, much like the nbox, and perhaps easier to come by.

Fun stuff for the schoeps gang.  Wish there were a similar solution for the Milabs or neumanns.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 03:58:53 PM »
Enough to make you want to consider moving to the darkside. :P

I'd imagine if these are low power consumption, 3 wire designs requiring 4-10v power that the Church ST-9100 preamp would work with them.  So $1100 for a pair of the CMR's and $200 for the ST-9100  -- comes in at about $1300, around the same price as the Nbox solution, no?  I have no idea how the ST-9100 would stack up to the Nbox, nor really if it would work (need to ask Chris).  But this might be another solution for a compact schoeps solution, much like the nbox, and perhaps easier to come by.

Fun stuff for the schoeps gang.  Wish there were a similar solution for the Milabs or neumanns.

I am working on a super stealth preamp for these mics. In the next few weeks I will have finished the design and be ready to sell them They will however require 2 9V batteries to operate one for the mics one for my preamp. I think that the box will end up being about 2 x the size of my Ugly preamp.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 04:45:28 PM »
I need to stop reading this board, or get a better job......
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 04:21:27 AM »
update: i did get it to work with the mic2496, i basically had to disable any power to the mics, tap power off of the main battery circuit, and use the battery circuit bernhard gave me. it would be trivial to mod the mic2496 in this way, although i have some other mods in mind. i wish there were some options for some other tiny quality A>D's out there, i hate being limited to only one option.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 07:04:12 AM »
wow.
ok, so leme get this straight.
does this kit come w/the caps too for this money ?
or is it just the cables ?

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 07:19:46 AM »
ok, answered my own question.

so you can get these for $1100
plus another grand or so for mk4 caps and viola ?
Hmmmm......

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 07:20:53 AM »
plus a powering solution. that'll probably run you at least another $100-$200

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 07:40:12 AM »
a couple hundred extra doesnt bother me when I'm talking about several grand.
:-)

Offline brianp

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Shows I've taped on LMA
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2008, 10:06:27 AM »
i wish there were some options for some other tiny quality A>D's out there, i hate being limited to only one option.

what's wrong with a Sony D50?
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2008, 10:21:05 AM »
update: i did get it to work with the mic2496, i basically had to disable any power to the mics, tap power off of the main battery circuit, and use the battery circuit bernhard gave me. it would be trivial to mod the mic2496 in this way, although i have some other mods in mind. i wish there were some options for some other tiny quality A>D's out there, i hate being limited to only one option.

Jamie -- could you share the powering circuit Bernard gave you?  If it is just a resistor and capacitor, maybe you could just post a rough ASCII text version here.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2008, 01:35:03 PM »
http://simplefuels.com/CMR.jpg

resistor- $99 cents/ 5 pack
capacitor- $1.50
9V battery - $3.00

doesnt sound like hundreds to me.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 01:38:19 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2008, 01:38:52 PM »
Good work diving into those!

I'd consider dumping my cmc6's and kc5's to go this route but... I think I'd miss the balanced output when running split setups, ceiling rigs, etc.

It'd be interesting to check out the circuit but I imagine it is a custom IC schoeps had developed?

This is the 48v > dpa circuit that has been posted before.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2008, 01:43:34 PM »
i dont quite understand why this requires two 9V batteries, as the mics only use 1 mA each. you had also mentioned via pm that you had reduced the power consumption of the ca-ugly from 20 to 12 mA.

with the average 9V battery running for 350-450 mAH, i dont understand the need for two batteries.

I am working on a super stealth preamp for these mics. In the next few weeks I will have finished the design and be ready to sell them They will however require 2 9V batteries to operate one for the mics one for my preamp. I think that the box will end up being about 2 x the size of my Ugly preamp.

Chris

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008, 01:44:53 PM »
again, the CMR is a 3-wire mic, and doesnt do well with voltage on the signal wire

Good work diving into those!

I'd consider dumping my cmc6's and kc5's to go this route but... I think I'd miss the balanced output when running split setups, ceiling rigs, etc.

It'd be interesting to check out the circuit but I imagine it is a custom IC schoeps had developed?

This is the 48v > dpa circuit that has been posted before.

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2008, 01:55:36 PM »
http://simplefuels.com/CMR.jpg

resistor- $99 cents/ 5 pack
capacitor- $1.50
9V battery - $3.00

doesnt sound like hundreds to me.

you just going to slap those resistors together with the battery and leave them hanging in your gear bag? or or you going to build a box to house it all. how are you going to connect it to the cmr cables? what connectors are you going to use? do you hav ea soldering gun? solder? the box? do you know how to do it?

sure if you build the power supply yourself it won't be $100-200, but how many people is that really an option for? Nick probably could. I'm sure others could too, but 99% of the people on here couldn't. That's why we pay guys like nick to build cables, and guys like busman and oade to modify gear. if we could do it ourselves we would. you also have to ask yourself what kind of quality are you getting. Is there a better way to do it, that will have a positive effect on the sound? do you think church audio's preamp for these is going to cost $6.50? I doubt it. My guess it'll be $100-$200 at least. That'll be the type of thing that people without the capacity to build the power supply will be looking at buying. Unless soemone else wants to slap together $6.50 worth of parts with solder and hot glue and sell it for $50.

my point was $1100 for the cables and a grand or so for caps isn't the total cost. it's likely to be around 10% higher than that for most people.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com