Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP-CMC-4U vs. SP-CMC-8 vs. SP-CMC-9  (Read 13343 times)

Offline a_doubt

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Any SP-CMC-9 users around?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 09:28:36 AM »
Thank you very much for your replies, I find this board and its members to be very helpful :)

Belexes, thanks for the link, the SP-CMC-4U were sort of #3 on my list (because of their size), but the price drop is tempting me. After I saw pictures you posted here, I think although they're bigger than the AT943/SP-CMC-8 or the AT898/SP-CMC-9, it would not be a big issue to use them for stealth recordings (regarding their diameter is about half the size of a Quarter).

(...) Not to say the CMC-9's wouldn't work fine for you and hopefully some tapers that are using them might be able to shed some more light on them, (...)

Yes, please. I find it kind of disconcerting that although this topic was started 3 and a half year ago, no one except for willyp523 has used them and shared their opinion.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 08:38:05 AM by a_doubt »
Live rig: SP-CMC-8 (AT 943 cardioid) or CAFS (omnidirectional) >  CA-9100 (or sometimes without CA-9100) > Sony PCM-M10

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 03:29:45 PM »
Just to get the nomenclature right:

SP-CMC-4U = AT 853.  Bigger size, more bass response
SP-CMC-8 = AT 943.  Smaller size, less bass response.  To make it slightly more confusing, you can also get an adapter that lets you use the 853 caps with the smaller bodies, which I used to have.

The 853s are much better sounding cardiod mics than the 943 if you want to have much bass response.  One of my favorite recordings of mine from ANY rig I have had was made with these mics - http://www.archive.org/details/mogwai2009-04-29.flac16_638

If you're mostly using omnis then the 853s are unnecessarily large and you're better off with the smaller mics.  Or for that matter Church's CAFS-OMNI.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 05:15:06 PM »
Go big or go home I always say. Anything can be stxxlthed.  >:D
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline a_doubt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 09:35:03 PM »
By now I should probably have moved to the SP-CMC-8 or SP-CMC-4U ?? topic. I hope it's OK though to continue the discussion here :-\

So besides the tininess there is no advantage for the SP-CMC-9, which made it move down on my shortlist. But now comes the difficult part:

Just to get the nomenclature right:

SP-CMC-4U = AT 853.  Bigger size, more bass response
SP-CMC-8 = AT 943.  Smaller size, less bass response.  To make it slightly more confusing, you can also get an adapter that lets you use the 853 caps with the smaller bodies, which I used to have.

The 853s are much better sounding cardiod mics than the 943 if you want to have much bass response.  One of my favorite recordings of mine from ANY rig I have had was made with these mics - http://www.archive.org/details/mogwai2009-04-29.flac16_638  (...)

As a start, I listened to some tracks of your Mogwai recording and it's excellent for sure. Then I looked up some of the info files of recordings I have listened to in the past and that I consider to be very good. These are all recordings of The Mars Volta, a band I also taped in the past. And a lot of the recordings had "SP-CMC-8" listed as the mics which were used, but along with a 2005 recording I got this information: "Matched Audio Technica AT853 Slimline Cardioid Stereo Model:SP-CMC-8"
So in the past it was SP-CMC-8 = AT 853  ??? (probably before the AT 853 U entered the market?)

So what about a recording of 2008 where the info file states "SP-CMC-8 Audio Technica mics" or in the other case "Soundprofessionals CMC8", how would one know if these recordings were actually done with AT 943 or with the "old" AT 853? Or maybe with the adapter modification acidjack mentioned.

This is more than confusing and by listening to the recordings, I'm not able to say which one has more "bass response" (could have been altered by using a battery box or pre-amp with bass roll-off or even by editing afterwards, couldn't it?). If anyone of you feels like accepting a challenge, I can upload samples of the recordings (the torrents are already inactive), in the other case I'll probably accept Belexes' challenge and "go big" and try to get the discount on the SP-CMC-4U...

Any more advice from you helpful members?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 08:40:17 AM by a_doubt »
Live rig: SP-CMC-8 (AT 943 cardioid) or CAFS (omnidirectional) >  CA-9100 (or sometimes without CA-9100) > Sony PCM-M10

Offline kinglerxst

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 09:46:10 PM »
>To make it slightly more confusing, you can also get an adapter that lets you use the 853 caps
>with the smaller bodies, which I used to have.

>If you're mostly using omnis then the 853s are unnecessarily large and you're better off with the smaller mics.

The AT933's are the ones with the adapter, I've been using them in the same rig for over 10 years and love them. The 853's are definitely st--lthable, but not really the way I was originally using them. That's where I think the 933's are the most versatile, they allow you to get the sound of the 853's as they use those larger elements, but the adapter>943 body gives them the smaller overall size which made my original technique work.

Plus to go even more low-profile you can always use the smaller 943 elements, so you have the benefit of various mic patterns with something you can use anywhere from super lo-pro all the way to open taping with the adapter.

Belexes also mentioned the low sensitivity mod which I have seen/heard in action, but if you are going to use a pre-amp I don't really think you would need the mod. I was considering running the mod in some circumstances, but I did not want it to be a "permanent" type of mod, so if I did that I would do it through a short modded cable (in my case a Y cable that has the mod in it).

With the CMC-9's, if you end up not really being totally happy with them you don't have much to go beyond that, but I think with the 943's you would be happy and even if they didn't blow you away, you would at least have the option to bump them up with the larger elements and even a little different flavor with different pattern elements.

Offline kinglerxst

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 11:01:14 PM »
>This is more than confusing

True, it can be quite confusing. That's why I always use the AT nomenclature as I bought my mics as AT 933 with omni caps and then I bought the cardioid caps to use 99.9% of the time. The AT 933 is like a hybrid model AT sold, I believe the 933's are discontinued, but you can still make them using the AT 943 bodies and the 853 elements and adding the adapter inbetween.

If you're on DIME I think there's a few shows I recorded on there with some samples, probably in the style of venues you'd be going to, maybe not the same bands, but maybe the same genre.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 03:09:37 AM »

As a start, I listened to some tracks of your Mogwai recording and it's excellent for sure. Then I looked up some of the info files of recordings I have listened to in the past and that I consider to be very good. These are all recordings of The Mars Volta, a band I also taped in the past. And a lot of the recordings had "SP-CMC-8" listed as the mics which were used, but along with a 2005 recording I got this information: "Matched Audio Technica AT853 Slimline Cardioid Stereo Model:SP-CMC-8"
So in the past it was SP-CMC-8 = AT 853  ??? (probably before the AT 853 U entered the market?)

So what about a recording of 2008 where the info file states "SP-CMC-8 Audio Technica mics" or in the other case "Soundprofessionals CMC8", how would one know if these recordings were actu
ally done with AT 943 or with the "old" AT 853? Or maybe with the adapter modification acidjack mentioned.
I think that person's lineage is just wrong then... To boil it down, if you buy it from Sound Pros, "CMC-8" equals the smaller mics, "CMC-4" equals the larger but (generally) better mics.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Belexes

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 08:10:49 AM »
Belexes also mentioned the low sensitivity mod which I have seen/heard in action, but if you are going to use a pre-amp I don't really think you would need the mod.

The pre has really nothing to do with it. The 853's at the element will overload in high SPL situations.  I know as I recorded two shows with terrible results.  One with my omni caps and another with my cards. The 4.7k mod will prevent this from happening.

I think Chris Church may build this in as a switch in his pre's?  But I just had the mod done at the mic stage as I think I would forget to flip the switch! My 9100 has a HPF switch in it. (which I never use)

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline a_doubt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011, 12:22:37 PM »
Thanks for all your help, guys :) Decision is made, I just placed an order to buy the AT 943 aka SP-CMC-8 (cardioids).

Actually these were #1 on my shortlist from the beginning, but the discussion of all kind of relevant things here helped me a lot and I already learnt some things. One of the pro's that convinced me was the flexibility for future upgrades regarding using an adapter and 853 elements, if the sound was not what I expected it to be (less bass response). And of course some recordings made with these mics, which sound very good to me (also regarding the low end).

Once I'll get them, I know I have to make some tests before using them in an important show. The CA-9100 pre-amp I got, does not have the 4.7k mod, but has the high pass filter. One opinion I read here was that it's not important to use it, another opinon I got in a PM was to always turn it on, so testing different settings seems to be appropriate. I did not order the low sensitivity mod for the mics, because from what I read here at TS this is more applicable for the AT 853 U (SP-CMC-4U). Let's see if this is correct :-\ And let's see what the additional tax will be for Germany ::)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2011, 12:53:34 PM »
If you record loud shows exclusively then IMHO the preamp is not really necessary and the improvement will be nominal. I'd rather have  small battery box. I'd spend money on different caps for my mics before I spent money on that.  I WOULD however say you MUST buy the low sensitivity mod for the mics, or they will not work for you at all (for loud shows).  It's a selectable option during checkout.

Offline kinglerxst

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 02:30:28 PM »
>The pre has really nothing to do with it. The 853's at the element will overload in high SPL situations. 
>I know as I recorded two shows with terrible results.  One with my omni caps and another with my cards. The 4.7k mod will prevent >this from happening.

I don't have the mod and I run the AT power modules for my 933's with the 853 elements and I have been literally inside a stack at some shows and had no issues. Maybe it depends what you're running after the mics.

Offline kinglerxst

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2011, 02:39:36 PM »
>I did not order the low sensitivity mod for the mics, because from what I read here at TS this is more applicable for the AT 853 U >(SP-CMC-4U).

Using the mod on the 943's does allow to use plug-in power into an R-09, I know someone who runs their rig that way. There's many variables that warrant running the mod or not running the mod.

If I were to ever run the mod I would just have the mod portion in a Y or short extension cable.

Offline Belexes

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2011, 03:16:18 PM »
>The pre has really nothing to do with it. The 853's at the element will overload in high SPL situations. 
>I know as I recorded two shows with terrible results.  One with my omni caps and another with my cards. The 4.7k mod will prevent >this from happening.

I don't have the mod and I run the AT power modules for my 933's with the 853 elements and I have been literally inside a stack at some shows and had no issues. Maybe it depends what you're running after the mics.

That's not the same as using the SP-CMC-4U's as I posted. I do know the AT943's do not overload. Only the 853's need the mod.

Offline igene

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2011, 03:28:24 PM »
I'd just like to add my 2 cents here.
I have a CMC-08 rig, and LOVE it.
The mics can handle most anything w/o distortion.
IMO - The key to a good recording with them is a CA-9100 w/ the HPF filter on.
(or something comparable in function)
WHY ? because all the energy/voltage coming in is in the low Freq's.
When you put a 'leash' on the low end...when there is too much bass.
then the HPF filter normalizes the low end of the recording,
and you don't overload your line in.
--------------------------------------------------------
I just saw (recorded) Monster Magnet.
It was SO RETARDED LOUD that my ears rang HARD for 3 days and are still ringing a bit now.
I was 20' - 25' in front of the right stage array.
Show was 2-20-11. One off US show / Tour opener, they're in Australia now.
It was at Starland Ballroom, that has one of the loudest PA's I've ever heard.
and they crank the shit out of it !!!
and...
The recording came out great.
My levels on the CA-9100 and the recorder were way low, but no issues.

RIG :  SP-CMC-08>CA-9100(HPF on)>VR-10(@16bit)

Want to Judge for yourself ?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0K1C2IOR
(RAR compression - 16bit wave recording, my pics, a review and recording info)

Let me know what you think. Enjoy.
(PLAY IT LOUD !!!)
Leela : ...what are we going to do ?
the Doctor : Should we try using our Intelligence ?
Leela : Well, if you think it's a good idea.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gallifreyan Guard : But you do have access to the greatest source of knowledge in the Universe.
the Doctor : Well, I do talk to myself sometimes, Yes...

Offline kinglerxst

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 11:08:43 PM »
>That's not the same as using the SP-CMC-4U's as I posted. I do know the AT943's do not overload. Only the 853's need the mod.

How were you running the 853's when there were issues at the shows you mentioned? Just curious as to what lineage the mod is needed with on the full body version 853's.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com