Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR1  (Read 41502 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Tascam DR1
« on: January 17, 2008, 08:06:13 PM »
I don't recall any talk here about the Tascam DR1, and a quick search came up empty.
It looks like Tascam is entering the market of smaller recorders.

http://www.tascam.com/products/dr-1.html

2.8 (W) x 1.1 (H) x 5.3 (D) (inches)
looks like 24 bit, 48 or 44.1 kHz (no 96)

I wonder how it sounds compared to the Edirol R-09, Marantz PMD-620, etc, etc..

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: Tascam DR1
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 08:22:46 PM »
Dam the market is heating up..........

Nice Find !

T+

OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 08:59:09 PM »

That thing looks just like the Edirol r09, doesn't it? 

And what is with all of these recorders having built in mics? 
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 09:09:39 PM »
Looks pretty small.

It has a line in on the top (by the mics). Looks like the mic inputs are mono with one on top and one on the bottom. That's a pain in the ass if you want to be super low profile. I'd rather have a R-09 then.

I run 4060>MMA6000, so I'd be running line in. I'm planning on buying a smaller 24bit recorder for stealth, this looks interesting.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

cmoorevt

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 09:20:47 PM »
Manual also shows that the input volume adjust only works for the mic input. The Line input is fixed at -10dBV.

edit:  Specs show that the line input has a nominal input level of -10dBV and a maximum input level of +6dBV.  So I'm interpreting this to mean that minimum recording level when using the line input is -10dBV but that anything hotter than that won't be attenuated to -10db?

It also shows a user-replaceable lithium battery. No AAs.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 09:40:58 PM by cmoorevt »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 06:29:36 AM »
Looks pretty small.

A bit bigger than the R09 or PMD620, though.  Almost an inch and a third longer (33.3mm).

I wonder how it sounds?  Seems like the "big" improvement over the R09 is that you can rotate the internal mics.  At any rate, it is nice to see the competition heat up for these types of devices.  Should lead to better features and lower prices.  :)

Offline micmonster

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 09:05:21 AM »
Specs:
    * Portable, Handheld Recording
    * Built-in High-quality Stereo Condenser Microphone
    * Variable Angle Microphone Mechanism with A/B Configuration
    * 48 or 44.1kHz 24-bit Recording Resolution
    * MP3 and WAVE file Recording and Playback
    * Switchable Low Cut Filter
    * Analog Auto Gain Control
    * Analog Limiter
    * Rechargable Lithium-Ion Battery
    * USB 2.0 Connection to Computer
    * Built-in Tuner and Vocal Cancel Features
    * Overdub Feature to record narration, singing or instruments over an existing recording
    * Dimensions (not including protrusions):
          o 70 (W) x 27 (H) x 135.3 (D) (mm)
          o 2.8 (W) x 1.1 (H) x 5.3 (D) (inches)
    * Weight: 208 g (including battery)
An analog limiter, very cool. The overdubbing function is nice, but real multitrack would have been better.

Offline spreetaper

• Taperssection Member
    • Brooklynvibes.com
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 09:44:40 AM »
apparently engadget.com thinks this is special because "this critter can save 24-bit, 48 kHz WAV files directly to SD or SDHC"

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/18/tascam-dr-1-digital-recorder-can-slow-things-down-without-changi/
um it looks nice but its nothing special and yes it looks like a bulkier (better made) version of the R-09

My new blog site with live recordings and photography
(Brooklynvibes.com)

Cameras = Digital Rebel XT, XTi
Lenses =Canon 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 
70-200mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8
Tokina AT-X 124 (12-24 f/4)

Main Rig = AKG 414's > SD 702
Extra gear = Apogee MiniMe, Sound Devices MP-2, Tascam HD-P2
Stealth = AT853's > BB > Edirol R-09

Playback = Cambridge DVD> Digital Link III > Trio C-100> VR-1's

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 10:23:09 AM »
Good looking unit, not sure about the proprietary battery though...

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline amfortas2006

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 05:17:28 PM »
If only they had some decent microphones on these things, or none  ;D

Offline MarkE

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 06:09:15 PM »
All these units look cool, but I really wish more had a digital in.. I mean, the pre cant be as good as a decent (Ua-5) outboard pre w/ a/d.. And the mics built in should be a removable feature.. I know they (the manufactures) arent building these specifically for tapers, but just give me a small, portable, decent pre with a digital in and no built in mics, that dosent have the name microtrack on it.. I really like the Iriver H120 (except the pre), but the 20gb and digi in is great...
Covers stealth applications and open..
Rambling,
MarkE
open: Dpa 4022 > Naiant Midbox> Edirol R-09hr or iRiver H120
Stealth : Sonic Studios DSM-6S > Custom Battery Box> Edirol R-09hr
Stealth : Nevaton MCE400 > Naiant Tinybox > Edirol R-09hr

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 06:29:01 PM »
In the fine print, I read in the manual:  can not adjust volume of input signal to the LINE-IN

Then where's unity?   :o

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 06:32:22 PM »
"The TASCAM DR-1 puts world-dominating power into your pocket. "

That piece of marketing nonsense is enough to make me want to buy any product except this.  Good grief...  possibly the most cringe-making piece of marketspeak ever to associated with a piece of audio equipment.  I guess we should be relieved the Daleks never had a DR-1?!

Offline mozmoz8

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 08:01:28 PM »
Hi...shame there is no digital in.  :(

Offline dathead2

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 11:09:44 AM »
Hi...shame there is no digital in.  :(

nor digital out

don't know if it is soundprofessionals that added it or orig tascam marketing
lingo but it states "is the first portable recorder to include a 1GB card" (not
true since sony D50 has a 4GB built in, techinally i guess it isn't a card, but
i bet if you open it up it most likely is - not really sure why sony went that
exact route but it is kinda nice)

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 12:22:26 PM »
Yeah, how generous of Tascam to include a 1GB card, which costs less than $5 at retail and undoubtedly costs Tascam a lot less than that.  I just bought a 4GB PQI card from Fry's for $9 after MIR.

The silly marketing prose aside, the Tascam looks like a reasonable competitor to Microtrack II and R-09.  Does anyone have an informed guess about the DR1's shipping date?

Flintstone

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 08:49:46 PM »
Hello:

I thought I would answer a few questions here: We did not add the marketing mumbo-jumbo.....it's right from the Tascam site:

http://tascam.com/products/dr-1;9,12,3594,14.html

The expected delivery schedule is as follows: In the last week of February, Guitar Center, Sound Professionals (that's us) and a few other dealers who committed to buying large quantities of these up front get recorders from the first shipment. About 10 days later, other smaller dealers will get theirs. 

To give members a small thank you for your support over the years, we posted a couple specials on this recorder in the retail forum (one on the recorder alone, one bundled with Audio Technica mics and one for the mics alone). If you are interested, please go there to see the details.

As for the recorder, it has some nice features not found on other recorders in this price range, like a removable rechargeable battery, overdub capability, 1GB card included (most comes with a basically useless small capacity card), playback and speed adjustments, Karaoke function and an analog limiter.

Thanks!

Chris Carfagno
The Sound Professionals, Inc.
www.soundprofessionals.com
sales@soundprofessionals.com
800-213-3021

Offline micmonster

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 04:01:12 AM »
I can't understand why they don't mention the analog Limiter in the manual ??? .

Offline professorhalfbaked

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 06:02:11 AM »
I can't understand why they don't mention the analog Limiter in the manual ??? .

It does say it on the specifications list on the website.  AGC is analog too.
What the heck was that for?  Jerk-off...

Offline micmonster

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 06:08:22 AM »
I know, but why don't they describe it in the manual how to use the limiter. Or did I miss this?

Offline colorado_bob

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 12:14:54 PM »
I know, but why don't they describe it in the manual how to use the limiter. Or did I miss this?

There's not much.  On page 20:

LEVEL CTRL

Use this to set the level control function.

Set it to AUTO to have the DR-1 automatically adjust the input gain according to the input level. Loud sounds and quiet sounds are both adjusted to the same level.

Set it to LMT to have the DR-1 automatically limit the input gain so that input level of loud sounds are reduced to prevent distortion.

The factory default setting is OFF.

NOTE
When recording live performances and in other situations where unexpected loud sounds might occur, set this function to LMT to prevent input clipping and allow recording without distortion.

Offline micmonster

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 01:21:32 PM »
Thank you. That's why I missed it.

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 11:45:22 PM »
All of a sudden there's a lot of competition...  Can't wait to see some field reviews.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 04:34:42 PM »

Offline soundpro

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 11:07:33 PM »
Hello:

A quick note.....the Tascam DR-1's will be shipping next week to all who pre-ordered. As soon as we get them, we will post more info on it.

Thanks!

Chris Carfagno
800-213-3021
www.soundprofessionals.com

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 11:33:30 PM »
The participant in the the minidisc forum thread I linked to above has now purchased a DR1 and promises to report further...

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2008, 04:48:10 AM »
.. and his initial comments are that he's wondering whether the unit is faulty, due to noise levels.  He's put up a sample.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2008, 09:20:41 AM »
All these units look cool, but I really wish more had a digital in.. I mean, the pre cant be as good as a decent (Ua-5) outboard pre w/ a/d..

Based on comparisons (though never of the ua5, mine stays connected to my PC), I disagree. Look at this 722/r09 a/d comp as an example:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,99237.0.html

The a/d in the r09 was overwhelmingly favored in a couple of blind comps posted here when run behind a v3 (as compared to the v3's a/d).  Of course the results can vary depending on material but the r09 sounds very good when run correctly behind a good pre.

I think with all of the various small recorders coming out, the v3 comp test should be done on all of them as a reference. It is an easy comp to do, doesn't require much gear (v3 & bit bucket and an xlr to recorder cable) and quickly answers a lot of the sound quality and overload concerns. Most people are familiar with the v3 a/d sound, etc.

It is always good to see new recorders coming out but it needs to be said a lot of them don't sound all that good, have high noise or can't handle bass, etc. I was surprised to hear someone say the D50 sounds like crap, but so it goes..

PeterE

Re: Tascam DR-1
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2008, 11:56:55 PM »
Has anyone received their Tascam DR-1 yet?  Any first impressions?
Curious as to how its mic pre and a-d sounds, compared to the R09, PMD620, and D50?
I'll be getting a DR-1 soon.  I'll add my $0.02 soon after I get it but I don't have access to any of the other models for comparison.
thanks!!
Pete

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2008, 01:39:17 AM »
The DR1 LOOKS to have similar capabilities and carry size to R-09, PMD-920, and having a bit of the H4 with instrument tuner and such features for musicians. 

To me, while these decks have nearly identical audio recording features/modes the audio (analog input) quality varies greatly with noise performance being the almost most important only second to reliability. 

Not so acceptable reliability example is R-09 deck with break-away analog input jacks!  Otherwise, R-09 is excellent at least for LINE input audio quality and a personal favorite with glued down jacks.

So far, no flash deck model seems perfect, but as more of these appear on the market offering the recordist many to choose from for having most important deck qualities and least important deck shortcomings.

It does help to have someone (like me) post noise spectrum performance graphs of each new model and do some other electrical bench tests like I usually post in TS.  This helps at least me get 'a handle' on how these decks stack up in having exercised some degree of 'engineered refinement' of the analog audio path. 

Like is the digital polluting the heck out of the analog front end?  I've seen this in at least of few models, and sometimes only under certain input conditions!

Looking forward to testing both LS-10 and the DR1.  Anybody in USA up for a short term loan please PM or EM for paid shipping details.

So far, direct at -35dB MIC level input comparison gives best chance of 'apples-to-apples' comparison of important (easily audible) audio performance.

Below are deck noise spectrum graphs with all decks having the same mic input gains, along with deck noise if  using low noise external preamplifier (the line input mode) on these different models.   

Comparing the noise performances of these different models over frequency is possible with eyeing the dB scale numbers at the right to the graph lines showing the recorded deck noise levels. 

How audible, or interfering to the audio signal purity a deck's internal noise is going to be depends on the frequency, the character of the noise (like is it continuous Gaussian type or more audible digital impulse with harmonics) and the dB level (loudness-amplitude) of the noise.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 02:34:11 AM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline mattw

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2008, 03:48:12 PM »
Guy,

I for one appreciate you doing all the tests on these recorders...You're the ONLY one answering the questions with regards to quality/noise levels/ect. that I keep coming up with.

I've been looking for a suitable replacement for my Sony M1 and so far have found that most if not all of the current crop is inferior in some way or the other. The R-09 is the closest to the ideal that I've found without breaking the bank.

So, I guess my question to you is can you recommend a current digital recorder that has similar specs. to a M1 with regards to noise, mic. preamps and reliability. 2496 recording would be a plus as would AA batteries (or something easily replaced in the field) CF media would be nice but SD is ok too. And finally I don't care if it has some silly looking mic. slapped onto the top of it or not.

Matt

Offline exileded

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2008, 06:49:39 PM »
I should be recieving my DR1 in the next couple of days. Provided there were no delays in the shipping I will be aiming to tape Buffalo Tom on the 11th and Wilco on the 18th if they turn out ok I will post samples up here for sure.

Unfortunatly Im not a big fan of my current mic set up and it will be several more weeks till the CA amp and cards im ordering show up... Still it gives me the chance to test the internal mics and my current external set up and i'll post comparasions if they are up to it.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2008, 08:33:43 PM »
I should be recieving my DR1 in the next couple of days. Provided there were no delays in the shipping I will be aiming to tape Buffalo Tom on the 11th and Wilco on the 18th if they turn out ok I will post samples up here for sure.

Unfortunatly Im not a big fan of my current mic set up and it will be several more weeks till the CA amp and cards im ordering show up... Still it gives me the chance to test the internal mics and my current external set up and i'll post comparasions if they are up to it.

Let me know what you think of the recorder I might be interested in getting one too :)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2008, 07:06:49 PM »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008, 11:46:05 PM »
The  thread I keep linking to now says that there's a firmware upgrade (1.02) available for the DR1 from the Tascam German site.  "There is another rec level available (Lo/Med/Hi). The old Lo became Med and the new Lo is below the old one."  "what a difference, almost noise free . Big, Fat Warm guitar... It actually sounds almost as good as my AT822 I cant believe it. "

Offline exileded

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 12:49:12 AM »
Still waiting for mine :( Sad that I dont get to try it out on Buffalo Tom tonight, but getting more and more excited with all the good things im reading about it :D

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2008, 11:55:24 AM »
Over on the Naturerecordists group, this message was posted

"I received a sample Tascam DR-1 on Friday. I can't recommend it.
The 3.5mm mic input and headphone output have poor electrical
connections. If the mic cable or input jack is touched, static-like
noise is added to the recording. The headphone jack had a similar
noise problem when wiggled a bit. This is not a good sign after only
30 minutes' use!"

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/message/32018

Any DR-1 users here experience anything similar?

Flintstone

Offline exileded

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2008, 02:36:49 AM »
Over on the Naturerecordists group, this message was posted

"I received a sample Tascam DR-1 on Friday. I can't recommend it.
The 3.5mm mic input and headphone output have poor electrical
connections. If the mic cable or input jack is touched, static-like
noise is added to the recording. The headphone jack had a similar
noise problem when wiggled a bit. This is not a good sign after only
30 minutes' use!"

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/message/32018

Any DR-1 users here experience anything similar?

Flintstone

Although im yet to use mine at a show (arrived the morning after... Typical :-[), I have been playing round recording traffic, my radio, things like that. I have been using Giant Squid cards with battery box and am so far delighted with the results. I have just tested mine to see if knocking or touching the jacks affects the recording and in my case I would say not at all, didnt hear any static noise.
I also installed the first firmware update which I got from the UK Tascam site. Piece of cake to do and it's great to see they are looking after tapers. From the update page...

"One more position for the input gain setting is newly
 added. When the loud sound such as live performance is
 recorded, New Low Gain position may avoid the
 unexpected clips.

Current version
LOW: +16dB
HIGH: +32dB

V1.02
LOW: 0dB
MID: +16dB
HIGH: +32dB"

PeterE

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2008, 03:44:58 AM »
Reporting my DR-1 experience to date:

So far I've used my DR-1 to record two performances: first time for an unamplified classical piano and violin performance, second time was for an acoustic&amplified jazz quartet. Mics were DPA4061, powered by Coresound batt box. Both shows were with the original (v101) firmware. I did first set/second set comparisons of the DR-1 vs my 11 yr old Oade-mod Sony D8 for both the classical and jazz performances. For the classical performance, the DR-1 was set to record at 16 bit for direct comparison against the D8. For the jazz performance, the DR-1 was set to record at 24 bit while the D8 recorded at 16 bit.  Both DR-1 and D8 used mic-in jacks at low gain. 

During the jazz performance, I also ran my open-taping rig(Schoeps CCM4>Oade ACM HD_P2) for comparison with the DR-1 and Oade-mod D8.

As soon as I can figure out how to share files with TS members I'll do that, and ask for your feedback. Meanwhile, my opinion is that the DR-1's preamp is not as detailed as either the Oade-mod D8 nor the Oade ACM HDP2(not surprisingly). However, it is quite musical and resulted in a very enjoyable recording, particularly on the jazz quartet (especially the sax).  Sound was neutral, not colored.   And at 24 bit the DR-1 did beat out the 16 bit D8 in the "sense of room space". If I hadn't heard the others right next to it, I'd have been very satisfied with the combo of 4061-> DR-1. I would love to hear it against other small options like the PCM-D50, PMD-620, R-09, etc.

Ergonomics: I dislike the gain wheel--its a recessed: good to prevent accidental movement but I found it hard to make small tweaks in gain with one hand holding the deck firmly on the table and the other index finger trying to increase or decrease the gain slightly. It would be even more awkward if you were operating lo-pro. Also, there is no dedicated "light" switch and during the performance I couldn't figure out how to turn on the light without messing with the recording. Got to research that....

I had no noise from the mic jack as reported previously by another TS member.

More later, and hopefully links to files to listen to.

Pete

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2008, 05:44:35 AM »
The noise experience only occurs when you are using the built in mics, any contact with the unit is quite audiable. I've recorded two shows with favorable results.  Looking forward to trying it with the new 0db patch i installed yesterday.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2008, 11:47:35 AM »
At least one DR-1 had mic input and headphone output that were not making a solid connection.  See reply #35, above.

Offline exileded

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2008, 10:12:19 AM »
Ok just got back from Wilco, my first taping test in a live music situation with the DR1.
All I can say is WOW!!! ;D

I was about 12 metres back DFC with an open walkway in front of me so not to much chatter.
I used the DR1 with Giant Squid cards and battery box running in to mic 1 port. I had the level set to low and the input volume set a 10 (max). I just clipped the mics to my glasses, pressed record and put the DR1 in my pocket.
Over the course of 2 hours I used 1 bar of battery life (about a third) and recorded 1.45 gb of great music, no issues, no hiccups just press record and go :D

It's 1am over here and I get up for work in a little over 4 hours so im sorry no samples tonight...
You will get them by this time tomorrow though!

Listening to the show now, I love this recorder! ;D ;D ;D

Ok couldn't get to sleep, here's Via Chicago for you to check out. Converted to mp3 in Audiocity but otherwise untouched.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QISJXTS3
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 10:57:23 AM by exileded »

Offline soundpro

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2008, 09:43:19 PM »
Hello:

Another Taperssection member only deal - buy the Tascam DR-1 recorder for the regular discounted price of $298.00 and get a set of SP-CMC-2 Audio Technica stereo cardioid microphones FREE! These mics sell for $159.00 normally - here's the catch: It's for the first 25 members only. You must use this coupon on the checkout page (no quotes):

"taperssectioncmc2"

The coupon will deduct $159 off the order total. No other discount can be used with the offer. You can order any options you want, and the mics in any configuration you want, and the coupon will deduct $159.00

PS....I put this here because it's where folks interested in the these items are looking. If it's objectionable, please remove it.

Best Regards,

Chris Carfagno
3444 Sylon Blvd
Hainesport NJ, 08036
800-213-3021
609-267-4400
609-267-0054 fax

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2008, 11:41:04 PM »
Hello:

Another Taperssection member only deal - buy the Tascam DR-1 recorder for the regular discounted price of $298.00 and get a set of SP-CMC-2 Audio Technica stereo cardioid microphones FREE! These mics sell for $159.00 normally - here's the catch: It's for the first 25 members only. You must use this coupon on the checkout page (no quotes):

"taperssectioncmc2"

The coupon will deduct $159 off the order total. No other discount can be used with the offer. You can order any options you want, and the mics in any configuration you want, and the coupon will deduct $159.00

PS....I put this here because it's where folks interested in the these items are looking. If it's objectionable, please remove it.

Best Regards,

Chris Carfagno
3444 Sylon Blvd
Hainesport NJ, 08036
800-213-3021
609-267-4400
609-267-0054 fax

Nice deal!

Hey Chris, do you have any opinions on the preamps on this?  One guy (minidisc forums) seems to think it has a bit more self noise than the Minidisc and the PCM-D50.  Maybe it is comparable to the Edirol R09?  If you had a choice, would you take the Edirol or the Tascam?

I've got an Edirol R09 for regular (loud) concerts, but for (quiet) ambient recording I still use Minidisc.  I run everything off plug-in-power, so I prefer to use just the unit, no preamps or whatever.

Thanks...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline soundpro

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2008, 12:07:27 AM »
Hello:

I would say it's about the same as the Edirol.......overall, I like it better than the R-09, though.

Chris

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2008, 02:13:00 AM »
Side-by-side comparison with the R09.  I went to a local Guitar Center for these pictures.  Played around with the DR1 in the store. 

Some thoughts:

The Bad:

1)  The onboard mics are weak, IMO.  Heavy sound produced crunchy, distorted recording.
2)  Had to run at High gain w/ onboard mics to get any kind of levels.  Even in loud situations.
3)  A little too big for the shirt pocket.  Comparable size to the Sony PCM-D50.
4)  No adjusting of Line-In whatsoever.  Low gain or High gain, that's all you get.
5)  Menus a bit cumbersome.  Not as easy to navigate as R09.  Will take some time getting used to.

The Good:

1)   Important:  Noise is not that bad on this unit.  Onboard mics are a little hissy, but not obvious.  Need further testing with Line-In to be conclusive.
2)   Big ass screen.
3)   Scroll wheel is cool.
4)   Formatted a 4GB card in 6 seconds.
5)   Well built.  Felt like a solid TV Remote, as opposed to a Fisher-Price toy (like most in its class).

Jury's Still Out:

1)  Line In
2) (removable) Lithium battery.  Where can I get more?  How much?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 03:20:49 AM by spyder9 »

Offline blewnote1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2008, 02:54:55 PM »

The Bad:

2)  Had to run at High gain w/ onboard mics to get any kind of levels.  Even in loud situations.

The Good:

1)   Important:  Noise is not that bad on this unit.  Onboard mics are a little hissy, but not obvious.  Need further testing with Line-In to be conclusive.

Perhaps it's because the patch hasn't been installed on the in-store model, but I have no problem getting acceptable levels with the gain set to low and the input knob set to around 6-7 (max is 10, I think).  I recorded my jazz quartet with this on Sunday thought it did a fine job.  Didn't notice any hiss from the recording, even when our pianist's sister (a singer) sat in and sang without a microphone and the dynamic levels dropped a lot (everyone was playing much much softer). 

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2008, 07:12:46 PM »
Its does have a little bit of hiss, but you have to squint.  Which is good.  I'd be very interested to hear a recording of a quiet room, with gain set to high, with phantom powered mics run through the Line In.  That would tell a story.  My bet is the DR-1 is as quiet as the R09 with Line In recordings.   
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 07:14:41 PM by spyder9 »

Offline exileded

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2008, 05:08:32 AM »
Here's a quiet and a louder track recorded with the low gain setting, mic 1 input, input adjusted to 10 and Giant Squid cards with battery box.
I was actually wondering if the gain shuld have been medium as to whole show only peaked a couple of times.

The Good, very Quiet when it was quiet. I was worried about the higher noise floor using mic 1 rather than line in, didn't end up being an issue at all.

The bad, How do you get the the screen to light up if you want to check the levels, battery etc once it's recording? I was just turning the scroll wheel a bit, was worried it would move the recording forward but it didn't seem to. Would be happier knowing a fail safe option.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QR86VX65
Sunken Treasure  ( the rattly noise that comes through at places is people walking on a steel walkway in front of the mid crowd barrier. The Buzz towards the end was over the P.A not unit noise.)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PZCBA6V5
Hate it Here  (only adjustment is fade in after the encore.)

I will torrent the whole show uncompressed in the next week or so for anyone who would like to hear more :D 

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2008, 06:46:30 PM »
How do you download from megaupload.com?  Need software?

Offline exileded

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2008, 02:01:14 AM »
How do you download from megaupload.com?  Need software?
No, when you open the page from the link it has Megaupload in biggish font near the top of the page. to the right of that are some letters that you type into the empty box (case sensitive) then click download.

It will take you to a page which has premium or free options, wait till the clock counts down on the free option (a few seconds) then click on free download.

Hope this helps :)

I am interested in hearing any feedback on the recording, I know the mic's have an effect on the finished product but in my opinion the DR1 did a really good job. Unfortunatly im to much of a newby to tell what technical Audio qualities the unit may be showing or lacking. Smashing Pumpkins next week should give it a test in a louder environment.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 02:04:15 AM by exileded »

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2008, 02:14:34 AM »
Anyone that wants to send me one for testing I have an r-09 Here and I can do a detailed analysis of the two preamps..

Chris

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2008, 07:56:50 PM »
DR-1 Vid (first item)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgEyFSmxm7A

digifish.
- What's this knob do?

Offline tgakidis

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2008, 10:51:25 PM »
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline exileded

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2008, 02:10:33 AM »
And another one...
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=191172

Im loving this unit more and more every time I use it, Wilco (the torrent above) turned out good, Smashing Pumpkins the next week came out great, and Duran Duran last weekend sounds fantastic as well! (Noisy crowd though...)

Now all I need is my church mic's and pre to arrive and I'll be a very happy camper :D

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2008, 07:46:56 AM »
A serious bug in the Tascam DR1 is described at http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=20674&view=findpost&p=133344 - in some modes,  when the waveform peaks, it inverts, which gives a very unpleasant result!

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2008, 09:20:12 AM »
A serious bug in the Tascam DR1 is described at http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=20674&view=findpost&p=133344 - in some modes,  when the waveform peaks, it inverts, which gives a very unpleasant result!

If true this ONLY happens in 16 bit recording modes, and not in 24 bit modes as reported, then does seem a firmware addressable fault needing fixing.

Please let us know if this problem is fixed by Tascam, or is it destined to be a DR1 permanent feature?

Time will tell.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

PeterE

« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2008, 06:33:39 PM »

If true this ONLY happens in 16 bit recording modes, and not in 24 bit modes as reported, then does seem a firmware addressable fault needing fixing.

Please let us know if this problem is fixed by Tascam, or is it destined to be a DR1 permanent feature?

Time will tell.

I've run into this exact problem myself, recording recently in 16 bit mode(@44.1K). It is a serious firmware issue as it does cause an otherwise unnoticable tiny overload sound really crappy! I've yet to report it to Tascam but will asap.

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2008, 12:44:08 AM »
I'd appreciate it if someone who owns the DR-1 can tell me about mono recording.  Is it true mono, where just one channel is recorded, or does the DR-1 send the mono input to both left and right channels?

One way to tell is if the file of a mono recording is half the size, or the same size as a stereo recording of the same duration.

Prices for the DR-1 are coming down. Buy.com has it for $229, shipping included
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=206831692&listingid=20930719&dcaid=17902

Flintstone

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2008, 09:20:29 AM »
This morning that link to Buy.com shows the R-44 at $226 plus $13 shipping.  I guess the free shipping comes and goes away at the whim of the retailer.

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2008, 11:48:14 PM »
Soundprofessionals has this 2 days only for 199.00

Hello:

Quick note, the first shipment of R-09HR recorders are arriving Friday 5-30-08. For TapersSection members, get 10% off if ordered before Friday with coupon code "taperssection"   (no quotes). Also, the Tascam DR-1 is $199.00 all day today and tomorrow (5-28-08) with TapersSection only coupon "tsdr1".

Thanks!

Chris Carfagno
800-213-3021
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:45:24 AM by Kindguy »
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2008, 03:17:23 PM »
Is there no seamless file split with this deck? That seems like a big issue. The manual says that the unit stops when the maximum chosen file length is reached. The largest (and factory) setting is 2GB. Am I missing something here?  ???
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline tgakidis

« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2008, 06:09:31 PM »
yup, 2 gigs.  I hope this can be changed with a firmware update.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2008, 09:47:53 PM »
I have one.  Its sounds pretty good.  For sure, noise level is equivalent to my R09, based on home tests.  Wish the battery dealio was rechargeable AA's.... but still ......... it doesn't suck.  Great for a backup analog recorder.  For 2 bills, you can't go wrong.  Best bang for the buck in '08.    :coolguy:

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2008, 09:52:51 PM »
I have one.  Its sounds pretty good.  For sure, noise level is equivalent to my R09, based on home tests.  Wish the battery dealio was rechargeable AA's.... but still ......... it doesn't suck.  Great for a backup analog recorder.  For 2 bills, you can't go wrong.  Best bang for the buck in '08.    :coolguy:

I am getting one as well I will do some tests when I get it and publish them here.

Chris

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2008, 02:50:35 AM »
Impressive.  Recorded all weekend with the DR-1 at Mountain Jam.  Really like the sound.  Even more so than my R09.  Warm, butter-smooth sound.  Recessed highs, but not muddy.  I'm close to moving in the DR-1 as my #1 recorder, relegating the R09 as a backup. 

The lithium battery is only good for about 4-5 hours.  However, swapping external power is easy via a USB battery pack.  The trick is to do it while you're recording, or the DR-1 will recognize the pack as a USB computer connection.  Ran all day Sunday, recording 10 hours of music, non-stop.

Dig the big screen.  Meters are very active and easy to read.  However, I want to see actual db numbers on the meters in the next firmware upgrade.

Maxed-out a card by accident late Friday night.  DR-1, however, still saved the file.   

PQI 16gb card worked flawlessly with the DR-1 too.  No burps or hiccups.  Its nice to be able to fit a whole days worth of music, without swapping cards out.  Convenient.

I'll have samples up this week.  Primarily whole sets from Mountain Jam on LMA.     
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:07:00 AM by spyder9 »

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2008, 11:54:38 PM »
Tascam in action at Mountain Jam

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2008, 12:18:18 AM »

I measured the noise floor on the line input it was -106 A weighted at 48k 24bit with the output at 50% very impressive. The max input level this can handle * line input * is -8 db. I will post some more tests in the next few days when I get around to it. I think this is actually better then the R09 for line input. Now the huge problem I have is no adjustment to the line input what so ever. That needs to get fixed in the firmware.

Chris
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:20:34 AM by Church-Audio »

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2008, 12:23:47 AM »
If the DR-1 is set at Unity for Line-In, then there is no need for any firmware adjustment.  Tascam knows most people that use Line-In, will be using some sort of mic preamp.  If you don't have a preamp, they give you 2 Mic-In's with adjustable gain. 

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2008, 12:26:54 AM »
If the DR-1 is set at Unity for Line-In, then there is no need for any firmware adjustment.  Tascam knows most people that use Line-In, will be using some sort of mic preamp.  If you don't have a preamp, they give you 2 Mic-In's with adjustable gain. 

Yeah I hear you. I will be running some tests in the near future, But my initial look tells me that this is a quality piece of gear. I would also say they are using Primo em135 cardioid capsules 10mm for the mic elements. This is the same capsule used by the ZOOM h2 the mic housing is much better designed with the DR-1 I would say for the money this is a very hard to beat product. It absolutely blows Zoom out of the water. I would still like to see a +20 -20 db gain range on the line input even with a preamp its nice to have extra gain if needed. Unity gain is fine when you have a preamp that has an output level control. I think its a small price to pay for a well built recorder.

Chris
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:29:36 AM by Church-Audio »

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2008, 12:36:26 AM »

I measured the noise floor on the line input it was -106 A weighted at 48k 24bit with the output at 50% very impressive. The max input level this can handle * line input * is -8 db. I will post some more tests in the next few days when I get around to it. I think this is actually better then the R09 for line input. Now the huge problem I have is no adjustment to the line input what so ever. That needs to get fixed in the firmware.

Chris

Hey, thanks for the tests.  If you get a chance, can you measure the input levels and noise on the mic inputs?

I love the Edirol R09, but I'm looking for something with less self noise (anything, even 6dB more) for my experiments with various Omni "hat mics".

Thanks,
  Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2008, 10:17:20 AM »

Chris

Hey, thanks for the tests.  If you get a chance, can you measure the input levels and noise on the mic inputs?

I love the Edirol R09, but I'm looking for something with less self noise (anything, even 6dB more) for my experiments with various Omni "hat mics".

Thanks,
  Richard

I will do that. You know the only thing that makes me wonder about this recorder at all is that dam built in battery.. I really want to know how long its going to last when recording. I am going to do some more tests this weekend.

Chris

Offline dave570

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2008, 10:42:48 AM »
Soundprofs is selling this recorder with a line-in control cable.  Would that workaround the Tascam limitation of not being able to control line in?

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2008, 12:45:54 PM »
The battery is NOT built-in, but removable.  Its looks exactly like a a typical lithium camera battery.  I estimated battery life to be about 4-5 hours.  I'll do a test tonight to get the exact time.

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2008, 02:12:17 PM »
I see Sound Professionals is selling spare rechargeable batteries for the DR-1, cost $48. 
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/TAS-BP-L2

That's pricey for a 3.7V 1800 mAh battery!  But it makes it easy to carry a spare battery for the DR-1, all charged up and ready to go.

Flintstone

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2008, 11:27:01 PM »
The battery is NOT built-in, but removable.  Its looks exactly like a a typical lithium camera battery.  I estimated battery life to be about 4-5 hours.  I'll do a test tonight to get the exact time.

7 hours and 7 minutes.  I was way off.  Straight recording with onboard mics, 24/44.1.  When battery ran out, the DR-1 safely saved the file.

Had to stop and hit record every time it got close to the 2:15:11 mark (bug).  The one time I forgot to, the file was saved, but the DR-1 did not start a new recording.  They'll need to fix that in the next firmware upgrade. 

Offline dave570

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
Wait a min. Are you saying that it stops recording at that time due to a bug, not a filled card?  Is anyone else having this issue?  This is a killer for me if this is true.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2008, 04:56:54 PM »
Wait a min. Are you saying that it stops recording at that time due to a bug, not a filled card?  Is anyone else having this issue?  This is a killer for me if this is true.

I asked and this was addressed a few quotes above. The file stops at 2gb. This is not unusual and quite normal, but most recorders will seamlessly start another file, and a few like the (original) MT 24/96 will start a new file but lose a few seconds. This recorder just stops. I think it is funny that there has been so little concern or noise over this fact when it was such a big issue on the original MT 24/95.  ??? ;) ;D

That said, this unit seems like a great little unit! If they do address the issue and fix it, I'd really like to own one. 8)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2008, 06:40:08 PM »

I asked and this was addressed a few quotes above. The file stops at 2gb. This is not unusual and quite normal, but most recorders will seamlessly start another file, and a few like the (original) MT 24/96 will start a new file but lose a few seconds. This recorder just stops. I think it is funny that there has been so little concern or noise over this fact when it was such a big issue on the original MT 24/95.  ??? ;) ;D

That said, this unit seems like a great little unit! If they do address the issue and fix it, I'd really like to own one. 8)

I for one think its a big improvement over the MT its much more quiet for one thing. If you dont have a digital preamp then this clearly is the way to go under $200.00 If you have the money then the R-09 is clearly the way to go IMO.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2008, 10:00:41 PM »

I for one think its a big improvement over the MT its much more quiet for one thing. If you dont have a digital preamp then this clearly is the way to go under $200.00 If you have the money then the R-09 is clearly the way to go IMO.

Disagree on 1 point:  I'd take the Tascam over the R09.  I own both right now.  DR-1 sound is very tight like the new R09HR.  Comparing them two is the ticket, IMO.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2008, 10:30:55 PM »

Disagree on 1 point:  I'd take the Tascam over the R09.  I own both right now.  DR-1 sound is very tight like the new R09HR.  Comparing them two is the ticket, IMO.
Any opinions on the mic input (self noise) on the Tascam vs the R09.  Or, the R09 vs the R09HR?

Richard

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2008, 10:41:02 PM »
Hi Richard,

I have not.  I'll give the Mic-in a whirl later this week. 

Offline dave570

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2008, 09:15:26 AM »
2 GB limit is OK, I understand this.  I don't plan on taping in 24 bit too often. 16 bit will get me 3 hours. I don't have to like this limit but I can understand it.  My DAT deck barely goes past 3:05 mins on a 90 meter tape anyway.

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2008, 03:45:55 AM »
Is sound professionals still offering this for 199? Hope so I want to get one of these at that price. Don't see how I can go wrong.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Chaosu

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2008, 05:12:06 PM »
Nope, but theres seller on eBay who sells for 199$ http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/soundpro99
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 05:18:57 PM by Chaosu »

Offline jpoprock

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2008, 11:40:59 AM »
I just got my DR-1 and I'm very excited about it. I decided not to load the newest firmware, and instead loaded v1.02 since that one seems to be the one everyone likes the best.

I'm going to be recording my band this weekend, and wanted some advice on how to best do that. I don't have a mic stand mount for it just yet, but I'm going to buy one from Sound Prof. I also might buy one of those fuzzy windscreens, unless you have a better suggestion.

I plan on using the built in mic's, and I'm not seeking uber professional results. I think the built in mic's should be fine. I was wondering if the position of the mic's make a difference in the sound? I did some testing in the car and didn't notice a difference after rotating them.

I was under the impression that I could stick the unit on stage over by me, and it would capture the audio pretty well. I was hoping that it would capture our performance from the same perspective as I hear it as I'm on stage.  Putting it in the center of the room on a stand would be the best for sure. But how far back should I put it from the stage? 15ft? 20ft? I'll have to be careful, since no one will be around to guard it. I'd like to buy a boom that I can hang from just about any venue's ceiling. That way It would be kept off the floor, safe from someone knocking it over or stealing it!

Any advice as to how I should set up the gain? Low gain? Med gain? I'm sure I'll need to leave about 4-6db of headroom, maybe less. I'm assuming an occasional peak won't hurt. I figure it's best to be a little low rather than too hot, because I can always adjust it with my software. I'm also gathering that it's best to use the limiter right? Should I use the limiter, or should I put it on auto?

I realize that this is going to require some trial and error, but I'm hoping to at least get a decent recording this weekend, so I thought I would ask.

I also have a "T" mic that I bought from Sound Prof some years back, with a little tripod stand. I'm not sure if that T mic is better or worse quality than the built in mics? I also have a battery box with low cut, etc. That may help, but only if using the external T mic. I suppose if I wanted to get really geeky, I could purchase a nicer stereo mic and use the Battery box to power it. It may yield better results. But I think I could be happy with just using the built in mic's, and just keep it simple. I don't want to fart with cables running everywhere, etc. I'm just trying to capture our performances as best as I can, for keepsake and reference.

Sorry to hammer you with so many questions!

Thanks!
Jason

Offline peachy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2008, 07:55:53 AM »
Been lurking for a while but wanted to ask you guys for advice...

I've been thinking about getting the DR-1 to record our band practices... however, we're full on metal so no acoustic guitars and a lot of drums. I am not sure if the DR-1 can handle the heavy distortions etc... or maybe with a seperate mic?

I think the Zoom is already out of the question. I'm not sure if any of these types of recorders would be suitable, though... does anyone have any idea?

Offline exileded

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2008, 08:13:40 AM »
Hi Peachy, I've used the DR-1 at some pretty loud gig's volume wise and have never had a problem with clipping or distortion. That being said I have only ever used external mics, I've tried both line in with pre-amp and mic 1 with battery box with no issues.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2008, 02:40:44 AM »

Any opinions on the mic input (self noise) on the Tascam vs the R09.  Or, the R09 vs the R09HR?

Richard

They are quite simply the best built in mics I have ever heard in a recorder under $400.00 For general recording. I recorded my guitar amp and the sound was very good. The DR-1 Is using a primo em135 capsule the same one as Zoom is using except the DR-1's mic pre is so much better. I would say there must be some corrective eq going on. I will see if I can see what the curve is and upload a picture of it.

Offline Kevin T

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2008, 09:51:42 AM »
Since it is for the same Primo's any chance of cloning this pre amp and "moding" the h2?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2008, 10:18:04 AM »
Since it is for the same Primo's any chance of cloning this pre amp and "moding" the h2?

Anything can be done but it would cost more money then the unit is worth. Much more money.

Offline Kevin T

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2008, 10:53:38 AM »
Considering the H2 price and the Modding effort That's not unexpected. Thanks     

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2008, 11:21:33 AM »
Considering the H2 price and the Modding effort That's not unexpected. Thanks     

The other issue to is firmware ( thats something way beyond my abilities ) as far as modifications go when you get into these little recorders you need to work with the preamp sections and sometimes be able to make changes in the firmware code.. Thats not something most people could handle. I think the lesson here is spend as much money as you can on a good recorder that will be with you for years.. Then with what ever money you have left over buy some decent mics * they can always be upgraded later on * but your recorder is an investment in the future.

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2008, 09:56:42 PM »
still no firmware fix for the 2gb limit?

any hope?
?>FR2LE

Offline jonbo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2008, 02:00:32 PM »
thanks for all the info.. looking at doing an upgrade but there is so much choice.
AT853 > 3-wire BB > H120

Offline Widetrack

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Widetrack's MySpace
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2008, 10:52:09 AM »
Hi, I just got a Tascam DR-1 yesterday, so I am still checking it out, but one thing I'm wondering about has to do with the overdubbing feature. Does anybody know if it is possible to undo or erase an overdub yet still keep the file you've overdubbed to? I can't find anything about it in the manual. Thanks!

Offline Widetrack

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Widetrack's MySpace
« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2008, 12:36:01 PM »
Never mind! I realized that each time you overdub, it's a new track.

One more question I do have: is there a way to split the tracks when listening back? I sometime record large shows, rehearsals, etc., and it would be nice to have the option to split the tracks right on the unit before importing them into my PC for further editing.

Pretty cool little unit so far! Sound is amazing with just me and my acoustic guitar, using the internal mics. Looking forward to hearing how it does recording a live band at high volume...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 12:39:58 PM by Widetrack »

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2008, 07:58:07 PM »
still no firmware fix for the 2gb limit?

any hope?

That's the only fix it needs.  I bet something will come out by this Fall. 

So far I've been very happy with the DR-1.  Nice, clean, warm, sound.  Sounds great going:   Mics > power source > Mic-In 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 10:29:50 AM by spyder9 »

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2008, 01:14:49 AM »
Here's a sample of going directly into the Mic-In on the DR-1.  Recording is a little boomy, for I was at the edge of the lawn and was picking up some of the Shed's boom.  Still, the Pre/ADC on this puppy is as smooth as butter.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,111607.0.html

Bob Dylan 2008-08-19  Canandaigua, NY

AT853RX > Denecke PS-2 > Tascam DR-1

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2008, 04:40:17 PM »
Has anyone figured out how to get the screen to stay lit or to light up during use? I have not seen anything addressing this. Thanks!

Offline printguy

• Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2008, 10:18:16 AM »
The firmware is up to 1.10 now; can anyone point me to a comprehensive list of the fixes the upgrades have addressed?
• CA-11 or CA-14 > Naiant TinyBox > Tascam DR-1
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2009, 09:52:28 PM »
SonicState.com is reporting that the DR-1 will receive a firmware update later this month.  The new version will be called 2.0, and will include some features found in the new DR-07 recorder.  For example, version 2.0 adds a 2 second pre-roll buffer, a 300 ms. delay to the start of recording, and the ability to automatically start a new file when the 2GB file size limit is reached while recording. 

Here's the article
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2009/01/17/tascam-updates-dr-1-and-gt-r1-recorders/

Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade. No word on how "seamless" the rollover to a new file will be.

Flintstone

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2009, 10:26:50 AM »
That's HUGE!!!!!   I just sent them an email over the weekend, inquiring about an upgrade.  Psyched!  I heart my DR-1.     :realhappy:

"TASCAM has updated the DR-1 and GT-R1 Portable Digital Recorders to Version 2.0. The update offers additional features during recording, including a manual track increment for breaking a long session into individual tracks. The new pre-record buffer feature can store audio in a buffer to begin a recording two seconds before the record button is pressed. Recording can also be delayed by 300ms to eliminate handling noise when the record button is pressed.

Editing features have also been added to the recorders in version 2. "File Divide" separates a recording into two files. The DR-1 and GT-R1 automatically make a new file while recording if the file becomes too large. A new "All Delete" function deletes all of the files in the selected folder.

The free update for the DR-1 Portable Digital Recorder and GT-R1 Portable Guitar/Bass Recorder will be available at the end of January on the TASCAM website."

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2009, 08:16:27 PM »
Received an email from Teac customer service:

"Dan,

There is a firmware update coming real soon for the DR-1 that will allow track increments, it will be on the website soon as it is available.

Thank you for your interest in Tascam products. If you need further assistance feel free to call us at 323-727-7617 or e-mail us at Custser@teac.com"

I'm so happy.   ;D

Offline printguy

• Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2009, 04:43:24 PM »
Any updates on the firmware upgrade? I thought end of January was the timeline...
• CA-11 or CA-14 > Naiant TinyBox > Tascam DR-1
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2009, 07:38:16 PM »
Any updates on the firmware upgrade? I thought end of January was the timeline...

Not yet, but when it does, it will be found here:

http://www.tascam.com/products/dr-1;9,12,3594,19.html

You'll be looking for firmware 2.0

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2009, 09:02:39 PM »
New firmware 2.0 is up!!    :realhappy:

I have 2 of these, so I'll try it out tonight and report back.

http://www.tascam.com/products/dr-1;9,12,3594,19.html
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 09:26:32 PM by spyder9 »

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2009, 10:10:31 PM »
So far so good on their promises.  Update went without a hitch.  I still have to test it.  Below is the pdf file.

New Highlights:

1 ) File division while recording.  As long as the file is more than 2 seconds old.
2 ) Track incrementing.  Record past 2GB limit and a new track starts automatically
3 ) Pre-recording.  Grabs 2 seconds of sound during stand-by.
5 ) Record delay.  Delays recording by .3 seconds so the pushing of the button is not recorded. 
6 ) Digital display of meters.  "db" is now on screen
7 ) File information drill down  Under the BROWSE menu.
8 ) Erase all files in a folder, at once.  Before it was one at a time.

New Updates:

1 )  Backlight.  Still have to unlock the player, but you can now press the "power button" once to get the backlight at any time, whether recording, playing, or just messing around with the menus.  Just like the JB3.  Before, you could turn the backlight on, in unlock, with the jog wheel only.  Which sucked when you were in the Menus.
2 ) Screen Contrast.  Default contrast value changed from "12" to "8"
3 ) Effect Warning  This helps when you hit record and a feature is on.  Mic-In only.  With 1.1v, you could make the mistake of recording a show in Reverb.  This message will warn you of what effect is on in RECORD and PLAY mode.  Before, it would only warn you in PLAY mode.
4 ) Swap stereo position of mics.  L-R swap is under INFORMATION menu
5 ) Monitoring.  Turns on automatically when using tuner.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 12:48:59 AM by spyder9 »

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2009, 12:09:30 AM »
Great news.  Please let us know if the new firmware performs as advertised.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2009, 08:30:03 PM »
Good:

1) Track Incrementing was flawless.  Recording hit 2Gb @ 24/48 and started a new track automatically.  When playing the tracks in Foobar2000 (Morning Dew), could not hear any audible pop when tracks were exchanging.

2) File Division.  Crisp.  Right on the money.  Could not hear any audible pop when tracks were exchanging.

3)  db metering.  Tells you the actual DB your meters are hitting, irregardless if they are trimmed.  For example, say -3db shows on the screen when recording.  The number will constantly update, in real time, when recording or playing.  Kind of like one of those road speed signs, that tells you how fast you're going.  Doesn't give a DB reading for each channel. 

Bad:

Can Quick Format, but can not Full Format:

PQI 16GB Class 6
Kingston 8GB  Class 6

Used to be able to Full Format both before firmware upgrade.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 08:41:18 PM by spyder9 »

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2009, 11:06:29 PM »
Just picked up a Pelican 1020.  DR-1 fits nice and snug with no movement.  No mods needed to the case.

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2009, 10:48:05 PM »
How are the DR1's working everyone?

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2009, 10:16:39 AM »

Love mine.  Rock solid.  I've had mine for 1 year and I'm still very happy with my purchase. 

Offline setboy

« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2009, 01:40:04 PM »

Love mine.  Rock solid.  I've had mine for 1 year and I'm still very happy with my purchase. 

I have been thinking a lot about picking either a dr1 or a 7 up. How are you hooking your mics into it?

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #114 on: May 07, 2009, 03:02:55 PM »

I have been thinking a lot about picking either a dr1 or a 7 up. How are you hooking your mics into it?

2 ways.

mics > preamp > line-in

mics > battery box > mic in

Get the DR-1. 

Offline setboy

« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2009, 03:27:03 PM »

2 ways.

mics > preamp > line-in

mics > battery box > mic in

Get the DR-1. 

I'm going to have to sell the ad20 and get me a new preamp. thanks for the info

Offline EarlyMorningRain

« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2009, 03:52:17 PM »
liking the looks of the DR-1, does is play flac files by chance (like my iRiver does) ??

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2009, 04:45:45 PM »
liking the looks of the DR-1, does is play flac files by chance (like my iRiver does) ??

Never tried it.

Offline asobriquet

• Taperssection Member
  • electronic ears connected to an electronic memory
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2010, 12:06:10 AM »
Hey fellow DR-1 users, I'm thinking about using mine for sbd feed in the future (usually use my ihp-120 but want 24 bit), and I'm wondering what advice you may have so as to make that maiden voyage more successful than it might otherwise be.  Specifically, what methods or equipment have you employed to deal with the sbd signal being too hot or cold. 
I've got one of those cheap inline headphone volume adjusters and was thinking that that may work for the signal being too hot (please correct me if you think this is just stupid), but if it's not hot enough what can be done (use my CA9100 preamp?)?

Any other thoughts about this device and sbd patching are welcome!

Thanks in advance.
Mics: SP LSD2, AKG CK-61,62 & 63, Naiant AKG active couplings x4 (TB cable/PFA), DPA 4061, Avantone CK1 (card, hyper and omni caps), Sony ECM717
Pres: AKG Tinybox, CA Ugly Pre, BM2P+ UA-5, Busman T-Mod UA-5, CA Ugly BB
Recorders: Busman mod Tascam DR-680, stock Tascam DR-680 (x2), Tascam DR-2D (x4), Sony PCM A10

https://archive.org/details/@dave_id

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #119 on: June 27, 2010, 09:22:10 AM »
I recorded from SBD > Line In on the DR1 for a Radiators show, with no problems what so ever.  Levels I was given were decent and I had no distortion. 

Offline asobriquet

• Taperssection Member
  • electronic ears connected to an electronic memory
« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2010, 08:00:53 PM »
Thanks spyder9.  I suppose I can always just ask the sound tech to adjust my incoming signal as needed.
Mics: SP LSD2, AKG CK-61,62 & 63, Naiant AKG active couplings x4 (TB cable/PFA), DPA 4061, Avantone CK1 (card, hyper and omni caps), Sony ECM717
Pres: AKG Tinybox, CA Ugly Pre, BM2P+ UA-5, Busman T-Mod UA-5, CA Ugly BB
Recorders: Busman mod Tascam DR-680, stock Tascam DR-680 (x2), Tascam DR-2D (x4), Sony PCM A10

https://archive.org/details/@dave_id

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.33 seconds with 145 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com