Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fostex FR2-le "IN DA FIELD" (fr2le thread, pt 2)  (Read 50003 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Fostex FR2-le "IN DA FIELD" (fr2le thread, pt 2)
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2008, 07:34:19 AM »
same place sells them.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2008, 11:46:25 PM »
He means this place:
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/index.htm

They offer great prices on lots of stuff...

that said, when I owned a FR-2LE I bought a couple batteries and a charger here:
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1299

Hope that helps  :)

I'm a big fan of Thomas distributors when I need batteries of any kind.

Jmos
thanx
the other link with the double battery and charger looks like a good deal!

~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2008, 05:53:24 AM »
Would anyone know where to buy a car charger to charge the 7.2 4200mAh batteries described in the post above this one?  Thinking of picking one up for Langerado in case I cannot find AC power anywhere.

Why not get a DC > AC converter and use your car's cig lighter as a remote power generator?  Then just use your regular RC battery charger.  I bought mine last year from Wally World for $30 and it worked like a champ all weekend long.  Just remember to give your cars battery a recharge now and then, but even if your car battery voltage goes low, most chargers will cut off before draining your car battery dead.  If you're REALLY worried about a dead car battery, pack your jumper cables as an emergency back up plan.

johnlynn

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2008, 01:01:07 PM »

2. Metering
This is where things get good.  on the top LCD screen you get the same cluttered layout as the FR2.  Metering is good.  Nice little segmented bars w/a quick peak hold that you easily calibrate.   Hard to see in the bag though...but they thought of that.  It also has LEDs on the front, which you can see easily when you have it sitting up in a gear bag.  These meters just show you the peak level, and nothing behind it.  They stay lit up for about 2 seconds.  The meters run in db from 48 24 12 6 3 and over.  So you know that if you are recording 24 bit and peaking at -6db, you are in the neighborhood of being -8db to -4db (averaging at -6db, which is the LED segment).  So it gives you an "at a glance" average of your levels.  the low tech approach, you could say.  I think its handy as hell.

The LCD screen on the fr2le is actually more cluttered than that on the fr2. I didn't find the LCD meters on the le as detailed and readable as those on the fr2, mainly in the all important -6 to 0 range. The fr2 meters went across the whole length of the lcd where as the le meters are compacted to show Phantom Power, HPF and Limiter status. I do like the addition of the front panel LED's and especially the front panel 'mic-pre clip' LED. Does anyone know when they added that one? I wasn't expecting it as the photo of the unit on the oade site don't have them. Very handy feature for sure.

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2008, 06:38:22 PM »
Would anyone know where to buy a car charger to charge the 7.2 4200mAh batteries described in the post above this one?  Thinking of picking one up for Langerado in case I cannot find AC power anywhere.

Why not get a DC > AC converter and use your car's cig lighter as a remote power generator?  Then just use your regular RC battery charger.  I bought mine last year from Wally World for $30 and it worked like a champ all weekend long.  Just remember to give your cars battery a recharge now and then, but even if your car battery voltage goes low, most chargers will cut off before draining your car battery dead.  If you're REALLY worried about a dead car battery, pack your jumper cables as an emergency back up plan.

I will probably do this, or just buy one more battery.  Did some tests yesterday and I was getting more than 13 hours on a single 4200mAh 7.2v RC battery.  Had the display lights off and the phantom on powering my 460s.  Think I should be fine with 3 batteries for the whole weekend. (Hopefully)
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2008, 01:28:13 PM »
has anyone ever had any problems shutting down the unit?  it has happened to me twice where the unit wont shut down, but i stop the recording fine, pop out the flash card and then shut down. info is not lost on the CF card.
anyone know whats happening?

fortunately i have not been able to cause this to be repeated.  but afaik, if the recording is stopped, the CF cards can be "hot swapped" or changed without shutting down the unit... What do others think of this practice?
the one time i did it was the time quoted above, but no data was lost.

luke
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline JiB97

• My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2008, 01:40:02 PM »
has anyone ever had any problems shutting down the unit?  it has happened to me twice where the unit wont shut down, but i stop the recording fine, pop out the flash card and then shut down. info is not lost on the CF card.
anyone know whats happening?

fortunately i have not been able to cause this to be repeated.  but afaik, if the recording is stopped, the CF cards can be "hot swapped" or changed without shutting down the unit... What do others think of this practice?
the one time i did it was the time quoted above, but no data was lost.

luke

I was testing my battery on this unit a few days ago and something similar happened.  Couldn't shut down the unit, so I took out the flash.  Still couldn't shut down the uinit so I disconeected the battery and then plugged it back in and everything was fine.  Files were still there on the CF card, and no issues with the formatting.
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2008, 02:36:19 PM »

I was testing my battery on this unit a few days ago and something similar happened.  Couldn't shut down the unit, so I took out the flash.  Still couldn't shut down the uinit so I disconeected the battery and then plugged it back in and everything was fine.  Files were still there on the CF card, and no issues with the formatting.

any ideas on what caused that?
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2008, 02:50:48 PM »
just ordered by stock fr2le
now i need a battery
while i am off to search old threads if anyone sees this and can give me a link it would be appreciated
(i know i want 7.2v rc)
thanks
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2008, 03:00:10 PM »
now i need a battery
while i am off to search old threads if anyone sees this and can give me a link it would be appreciated
(i know i want 7.2v rc)
thanks

Where did you order yours from? Do you plan on getting any mods done to it?

I don't know what Oade mod people like/get the most of. The wmod seems like it would be the one everyone would like but then I notice the HDMod...

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2008, 03:06:29 PM »
now i need a battery
(i know i want 7.2v rc)
thanks

I don't know what Oade mod people like/get the most of. The wmod seems like it would be the one everyone would like but then I notice the HDMod...

i got it off ebay $400 shipped
i am going to send it to busman for the mod when i get the money for that
in the meantime i will do some stock shows

i found some batteries for it
does anyone know if the 3300 vs the 3600mAh makes that much difference in run time?
now i need to find a charger - i didn't realize these were so expensive
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline JiB97

• My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2008, 09:14:34 PM »

any ideas on what caused that?

no idea, i was running the unit for like 12 hours straight testing batteries, so that might have been an issue.  nothing seemed fucked up, so no harm no foul i guess???
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline drewski1986

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2008, 09:16:58 PM »
Here is a link to a recording I did with the Busman Cards > FR-2LE (stock).

http://www.archive.org/details/bridge2008-02-16.flac.16

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2008, 10:01:40 PM »
now i need a battery
(i know i want 7.2v rc)
thanks

does anyone know if the 3300 vs the 3600mAh makes that much difference in run time?

Check out ebay. A while back I got a package deal of 2x 3300 mAh batteries and a smart charger for like 50 bucks. One battery will run it for a looong time. You could probably do 1 day of a festival on a fully charged battery.
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

Offline willndmb

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2008, 10:11:14 PM »
now i need a battery
(i know i want 7.2v rc)
thanks

Check out ebay. A while back I got a package deal of 2x 3300 mAh batteries and a smart charger for like 50 bucks. One battery will run it for a looong time. You could probably do 1 day of a festival on a fully charged battery.
thanks i got 2 3500 with smart charger for $54 shipped
now i just hope everything gets here by next tues

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com