Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fostex FR2-le "IN DA FIELD" (fr2le thread, pt 2)  (Read 50265 times)

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
Re: Fostex FR2-le "IN DA FIELD" (fr2le thread, pt 2)
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2008, 01:59:41 AM »
From the manual

To operate the FR-2LE with batteries, insert four commercially available AA alkaline, Ni-
Cd or Ni-MH batteries to the supplied battery case and set it to the unit, or set a Tamiya
battery to the unit.

am i correct in thinking i have 2 tamiya batts one in nicd and one nimh?  In which case i would not have to change any settings - correct?

im asking cause my nicd batt only lasts for a few hours whereas the nimh seems to last forever.

I *think* that if you set it to  the 7.2 V  (Tamiya) setting it does not matter what type you have...
but I coold be wrong
as there is only one 7.2v setting
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline topdog

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2008, 02:48:52 AM »
It appears that my FR2LE auto-senses the when a 7.2v battery is in the unit and sets the battery type to "RC7.2". But...I do not believe it auto-senses correctly when you have a non-Tamiya type battery installed. The manual does indicate that you must set the battery type (when the RC7.2 is not installed) to the correct type (e.g. NiMH, NiCd, Alkali).

As for the type of RC7.2 battery type being used (NiMH or NiCd), it shouldn't matter as long as your battery type is set to "RC7.2" on the unit.
On local music archiving hiatus....

Offline topdog

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2008, 03:12:17 AM »

I believe the mic trim knobs work as attenuators of the signal from the mic, and the main recording level control knob controls overall recording level. Anyone know if the OL indicator is linked to the mic level? It doesn't seem so from the manual (that's what the mic peak light is for), so there must be an undetermined level where you can be bouncing the levels off of 0, and clipping the waveform, and still not set off the OL indicator. Am I the only one seeing this?

There is a peak LED for the mic-pre amp on the side of the unit. Lowest LED in the side level LED array. Is this what you are looking for? I didn't want to state the obvious, but no one seem to discuss the MIC PEAK LED. I set my mic trimmers so that the MIC peak LED never lights and keep my top level meters below 0dB and I haven't experienced any clipping problems (even when looking at the waveforms in Samplitude on my PC).

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2008, 12:40:16 PM »

I believe the mic trim knobs work as attenuators of the signal from the mic, and the main recording level control knob controls overall recording level. Anyone know if the OL indicator is linked to the mic level? It doesn't seem so from the manual (that's what the mic peak light is for), so there must be an undetermined level where you can be bouncing the levels off of 0, and clipping the waveform, and still not set off the OL indicator. Am I the only one seeing this?

There is a peak LED for the mic-pre amp on the side of the unit. Lowest LED in the side level LED array. Is this what you are looking for? I didn't want to state the obvious, but no one seem to discuss the MIC PEAK LED. I set my mic trimmers so that the MIC peak LED never lights and keep my top level meters below 0dB and I haven't experienced any clipping problems (even when looking at the waveforms in Samplitude on my PC).
this is what i do too
you could have the mic OL or the gain OL light come on at different times, but don't want either to come on ever imo
i set the trims around 1-2 oclock for 480s
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2008, 02:32:50 PM »
this is the charger i use.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062121

that battery pack sucks and im gonna replace it.  any opinions on the charger?  should i replace it as well?

oh yeah, i realized why my nicd isnt nearly as nice as the nimh.  no brainer, kinda feel like an idiot 2000mah vs. 3300mah.

Does anyone use the 4200mah tamiya batts?
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline topdog

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2008, 03:12:20 AM »
this is what i do too
you could have the mic OL or the gain OL light come on at different times, but don't want either to come on ever imo
i set the trims around 1-2 oclock for 480s

Agreed. MIC Peak LED or recording level OL LED should never light. I try to keep a good margin and leave lots of "headroom".

Offline topdog

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2008, 03:21:29 AM »
this is the charger i use.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062121

that battery pack sucks and im gonna replace it.  any opinions on the charger?  should i replace it as well?

oh yeah, i realized why my nicd isnt nearly as nice as the nimh.  no brainer, kinda feel like an idiot 2000mah vs. 3300mah.

Does anyone use the 4200mah tamiya batts?

I use a 3800 NiMH battery pack and that is more than enough to run the deck with phantom mic power for many many hours. I've tape 4 hours straight and the battery indicator still indicates full. I bought this battery/charger combo and have been very happy with it. The charger is small and fast.

http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1604

Offline kozakz

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2008, 02:03:17 PM »
I run my fr2le with a 8gb transcend x133 card in the last week and I got very minor digital clicks a few times in my recordings. I used different mics and it is present on all of them. Previously I used a 6gb hitachi microdrive and I did not experience this issue. Any idea what can cause this?

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2008, 02:46:22 PM »
i dont know what your deal is but when tring different mics did you use the sam cables?
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline kozakz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2008, 03:04:47 PM »
I used the following setups

AT4051a - Klotz kabel - Fr2le
AT853rx - fr2le
Sound Professionals AT853 mini xlr plug - Nady phantom adapter - Fr2le

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2008, 03:31:59 PM »
is the unit stock? are you pushing the pre's hard?

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2008, 03:40:53 PM »
same thing has happened to me using the same cards, but doesn't happen all the time, only randomly.

edit:  here's a screen shot of the most recent "digi click"

« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 04:14:29 PM by jbanyai97 »
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2008, 03:44:08 PM »
i should also mention that i have (3) kingston 4GB 45x cards that work w/o issue.

Offline kozakz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2008, 05:20:36 PM »
It is a stock unit. Pre was not really pushed, small knobs were between 12:00-02:00 hours, big one was around 2 clock. Levels were peaking between 6-3 db.

It is a very very quit click only, it is hard to hear, but once I started to hear it is bugging me.

I will start to use again the microdrive to see if that works better. I made only 2 recording with microdrive and they look spotless.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com