Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PCM D50 and mic questions  (Read 6180 times)

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: PCM D50 and mic questions
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 12:01:02 PM »
OK, Mike says he will do the mod. We have not talked price yet. I just wanted to check that there is some agreement that the MKE-2's with the 2.2K mod will work well witht the PCM-D50 without a battery box.

Actually, I'm not sure if anyone can tell you about this.  illconditioned and I have both run 2.2k modded MKE2s into an R09 with great results, and I've also had great results with an iRiver, but according to guysonic's post the D50 may put out less voltage for PIP mics than either of these recorders.  So, the modded mics might not handle high SPLs as well as with our recorders.

1. Can I still use a batteyr box withthe 2.2K mod if I find I need it?

2. I assume the mod is at the connector side, so will it be reversable if I ever need?

Yes to both.

Anything else I should know?

You could also talk to Chris Church about a 3 wire battery box with a switchable 2.2k mod (this would mean you'd need to get the MKE2s terminated with miniXLRs) that would give you more flexibility, but if you really are attracted to the idea of using just one box you might not want to do this as it would require a battery box at all times.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 12:03:33 PM »
OK, Mike says he will do the mod. We have not talked price yet. I just wanted to check that there is some agreement that the MKE-2's with the 2.2K mod will work well witht the PCM-D50 without a battery box.

Actually, I'm not sure if anyone can tell you about this [unless, hopefully, this will come out of the calculations illconditioned referred to].  illconditioned and I have both run 2.2k modded MKE2s into an R09 with great results, and I've also had great results with an iRiver, but according to guysonic's post the D50 may put out less voltage for PIP mics than either of these recorders.  So, the modded mics might not handle high SPLs as well as with our recorders.

1. Can I still use a batteyr box withthe 2.2K mod if I find I need it?

2. I assume the mod is at the connector side, so will it be reversable if I ever need?

Yes to both.

Anything else I should know?

You could also talk to Chris Church about a 3 wire battery box with a switchable 2.2k mod (this would mean you'd need to get the MKE2s terminated with miniXLRs) that would give you more flexibility, but if you really are attracted to the idea of using just one box you might not want to do this as it would require a battery box at all times.

Offline rebop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 01:27:13 PM »
Thanks Will.

I'm going to try it. I have email out to Mike checking cost and delivery time. Hopefully will know more soon. Would have been great to have these for Sat night to test with the Tubes at the Independent in SF, but there will be other shows soon I am sure.

More as I know it.

~Bob

Offline rebop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 11:11:31 PM »
Mics will be here tomorrow from MM. Mike charged me $10 for a right angle plug with 2.2k mod. Pretty darn reasonable. Total cosy, $260 for a pair of MKE-2's.

Will let you know when I get a chance to try them out.

~Bob

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com