Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is there a SD stereo mic that does Blumlein?  (Read 5867 times)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Is there a SD stereo mic that does Blumlein?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 06:29:11 AM »
I really miss my Blumlein recordings & would love to find a stereo mic with small diaphragms that does Blumlein. I know there are a few LD stereo mics but I tend to prefer SD, also there are an abundance of switchable pattern LD mics that could be used in a stereo pair but I'm really looking for the simplicity of a stereo mic. So, any suggestions out there that I'm unaware of besides the vintage, rather expensive usual suspects?

Have you considered one of our TetraMic ambisonic microphones? When decoded to Blumlein it has the finest Blumlein performance of any mic. It uses 12 mm capsules.

It's small, rugged and very, very flexible. And while it does mono and stereo, it also does full surround, with height, if that's what you want.

Yes Len, I have considered the Tetramic & it looks perfect for my application but for now I've decided to have my C34 repaired, thanks for the suggestion. If my C34 can't be repaired the Tetramic will more than likely be what I purchase.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Is there a SD stereo mic that does Blumlein?
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 09:54:38 AM »
[snip] he may also be able to install two figure of eight caps & depending on if there is room in the body possibly install a switch to allow me to switch the top cap from figure of eight to card.

That'll make for a good M/S option, relatively simply.  If the switch fits, a three-way instead of a two-way would add the choice of omni Mid as well. Unless there are complications I'm not aware of it shouldn't require additional components other than the wire connections to swap polarizing polarity on the top back capsule rather than just turn it off. 

Thanks for the reminder, I need to return a Peluso P-Stereo microphone to him for service.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com