Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Speech recording with Discreet Mic's  (Read 1563 times)

Offline bluelight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Speech recording with Discreet Mic's
« on: August 16, 2006, 08:36:25 AM »
Hello,

I need to record/video a lecture/speech session but the speaker doesn't like large microphone  setup. I am currently using Oktava MC012 with Hyper capsule running into a Yamaha mixer that feed into Canon GL2 through mic input.

The problem that I have include:

1. The mic is currently setup on table and is there any better Mic options? ( I've considered Boundary layer mic)

2. The result on the GL2 is not satisfactory ( clipping as the speaker has a wide level ) and noise. Should I use separate preamp othe than GL2/Yamaha?

3. I am also considering backup recording with additional digital recorder, what would be the recommended setup ( We still need to run it through the mixer for spearker output)

Thanks in advance.

Ed

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Speech recording with Discreet Mic's
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 12:20:42 PM »
Hello,

I need to record/video a lecture/speech session but the speaker doesn't like large microphone  setup. I am currently using Oktava MC012 with Hyper capsule running into a Yamaha mixer that feed into Canon GL2 through mic input.

The problem that I have include:

1. The mic is currently setup on table and is there any better Mic options? ( I've considered Boundary layer mic)

2. The result on the GL2 is not satisfactory ( clipping as the speaker has a wide level ) and noise. Should I use separate preamp othe than GL2/Yamaha?

3. I am also considering backup recording with additional digital recorder, what would be the recommended setup ( We still need to run it through the mixer for spearker output)

Thanks in advance.

Ed

With using a mic input into a mixer, then dedicated audio recorder is your best option as the MIC input on the camera is way too sensitive for large mixer output. 

Other possible option is to power the mic, and go direct into the camera set on lower manual gain setting (try out different camera manual input gains for having enough, but not so much as louder portions clip distort the camera input.

In general, Sony and Canon camera audio features and quality is limited, but for speech may be adequate if mic is connected directly and camera's mic input with sensitivity and manual REC level  settings are adjusted for acceptable results.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline bluelight

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 05:06:09 PM »
Thanks,

I am now deciding between Tascom HD-P2 or OADE basic mod PMD600.

I am thinking that if I spend a little bit more on the recorder, I could save the premap.

Would that be a good choice in addition to recording on camera?

cheers,

Ed

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 06:16:09 PM »
Thanks,

I am now deciding between Tascom HD-P2 or OADE basic mod PMD600.

I am thinking that if I spend a little bit more on the recorder, I could save the premap.

Would that be a good choice in addition to recording on camera?

cheers,

Ed

Stock Tascam would be my first choice for dedicated all-in-one deck, and I believe this deck will provide phantom mic power.  Marantz (660 model?) may be easier to power on batteries, but stock deck has less featured and lower quality mic stages, but cannot tell you from personal knowing if modification fixes shortcomings enough for your puposes.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com