Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M-Audio MicroTracker details **PART IV**  (Read 83355 times)

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: M-Audio MicroTracker details **PART IV**
« Reply #165 on: September 14, 2005, 06:54:14 AM »
i'd like to state for the record that i suspect my microtracker will arrive the day after i fly to austin for ACLfest.  unfortunate, but i suppose that's life on the bleeding edge.

that unobtanium joke was awesome, btw.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2005, 07:39:59 AM »
regarding phantom on the TRS jacks..
I was speaking w/Doug the other day, and he tells me that phantom power on TRS sucks.  any movement, rotation..etc, of the jack will result in noise.

I'm all ready thinking about designing some sort of cradle (doug was scheeming as well) for this.  something that holds the male TRS jacks nice and snug and provides XLR jacks.

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #167 on: September 14, 2005, 09:21:48 AM »
i'd like to state for the record that i suspect my microtracker will arrive the day after i fly to austin for ACLfest.  unfortunate, but i suppose that's life on the bleeding edge.

If you're brave, have it sent to your hotel!  ;D
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #168 on: September 14, 2005, 09:46:46 AM »

If you're brave, have it sent to your hotel!  ;D

heh, if frank's coming down to the fest, i'll see about him hand-delivering it to me....   >:D

marc0789

« Reply #169 on: September 14, 2005, 10:11:10 AM »
I was speaking w/Doug the other day, and he tells me that phantom power on TRS sucks.  any movement, rotation..etc, of the jack will result in noise.

I'm all ready thinking about designing some sort of cradle (doug was scheeming as well) for this.  something that holds the male TRS jacks nice and snug and provides XLR jacks.

does ANYONE really think they can reliably use this box mic in? line in even? If the spdif in works reliably, it'll be a freaking miracle. c'mon...400 bucks?

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #170 on: September 14, 2005, 10:11:58 AM »
it'll be a JB3 w/phantom that makes crackeling noise every time the jacks are moved at all.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #171 on: September 14, 2005, 10:18:28 AM »
it'll be a JB3 w/phantom that makes crackeling noise every time the jacks are moved at all.
Do I dare to write: who needs phantom, anyway?
OTH: just tape stuff down?

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #172 on: September 14, 2005, 10:19:00 AM »

I wonder if Doug could be persuaded to open the thing up, swap the 1/4 for mini XLRs and add a power input or swap the USB for a power input?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #173 on: September 14, 2005, 10:20:05 AM »
The haters are starting to come out.  ;D
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

marc0789

« Reply #174 on: September 14, 2005, 10:32:58 AM »

;D

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #175 on: September 14, 2005, 10:49:53 AM »

Here's my nightmare.  I am now running DPA4060s>DPA MMA6000>Oade moded R1.  I get the Microtrack Friday and start  running 24/96, and then get my Headroom Desk Model headphone preamp with upgraded DAC.  I start burning DVD-Audio with Discwelder Steel.  The Microtrack works perfectly BUT I CAN'T HEAR THE DIFFERENCE.

AAAGHHHHHHHHHHH.

Jeff

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #176 on: September 14, 2005, 11:47:06 AM »

Here's my nightmare.  I am now running DPA4060s>DPA MMA6000>Oade moded R1.  I get the Microtrack Friday and start  running 24/96, and then get my Headroom Desk Model headphone preamp with upgraded DAC.  I start burning DVD-Audio with Discwelder Steel.  The Microtrack works perfectly BUT I CAN'T HEAR THE DIFFERENCE.

AAAGHHHHHHHHHHH.
ADC of MT is not good enough for 24-bit? Better use external ADC?

Ray76

« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2005, 11:50:35 AM »

AAAGHHHHHHHHHHH.
ADC of MT is not good enough for 24-bit? Better use external ADC?

he doesnt know...noone does...noone has one yet.

Offline MattinSTL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #178 on: September 14, 2005, 11:52:36 AM »
If the 1/4" inputs make any noise when the TRS turns I'll be the first to use 18" XLR to TRS cables and glue the bastards in!

A little circle of JB-Weld or some other serious adhesive around the base of the TRS (just enough to smash out when the TRS is all the way in... but no glue INSIDE the unit) and bang! Permanent dongles.

And I'm just crazy enough to do it too. ;D

Let's hope it doesn't come to that. ::)
I didn't know there was a problem until I saw myself sitting there with a glass of tap water, eating an oregano sandwich on a two week old hamburger bun... and the only thing going through my mind was, "God I love this new shotgun!"

Current mics: 480b/ck61/ck63/ck69, Rode NT1000, Oktava mk012 hyper/cardioid, MKE-2, D230, RE50.

Past mics: MKH-416, AT4073a, ME-66, NT2000, NTK, NT3, TR50, M-150, M58, ATR55, MS907.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #179 on: September 14, 2005, 12:25:37 PM »
The Budwieser conversation was headed in a better direction than this is heading now.  First off, NOBODY knows anything about this device first-hand yet.  Not Doug Oade, not Nick, not me, NOBODY.   The only one we know that has even held the thing is William Boswell.  I am quite certain that if he could add anything to the conversation he would. 

So let's all take a deep breath, put our conspiracy hats back in the box and wait and see.  We are now in the homestretch of this thing and putting out rumors of the thing already sucking is counter-productive to me.    If you have expectations that this will compete with a 722 or something similar then you will be disappointed.  If you are looking for a record only device I think you'llbe happy.  Remember that this unit is $400.  Not $2000 and not $200  This box will not sound like a Lunatec or Sonosax or modSBM or whatever.  And then to comapre it to a JB3 (a glorifed walkman) is like comapring apples and oranges.  But for folks to think that it has problems or shitty sounding components is just stupid since NOBODY knows yet.

What uses are you all hoping to use this unit for? 

I am hoping to use it as a replacement to my D10 and D8. I don't stealth so I would not use its other features so it would be strictly a recorder for me.  I most likely will use it at 16bit for a while until I get the hang of it and prices drop on CF.  I do plan on using/testing my Microdrives on it as I have hopes they will work out positively with this unit.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com