Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M-Audio MicroTracker details **PART IV**  (Read 83760 times)

Offline twoheadedboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Catching signals that sound in the dark....
Re: M-Audio MicroTracker details **PART IV**
« Reply #210 on: September 16, 2005, 01:45:45 AM »
Because every analog copy I have pulled on the JB3 haven't sounded good to me. The A/D in the JB3 is questionable. Maybe I had the gains not set well, maybe it was from the soundboard I was taking the Analog feed off of.

I have only used it before I had mics, and there was nobody to patch out of, and I knew the sound guy.

Has anybody here made good JB3 pulls off of the analog in ?  ???

No way, I've tried every combination of gain on the JB3 with every firmware. Even at +/-0 with optimum input, it's still crap. And god help you if you don't have ideal levels, which are nearly impossible to obtain due to the terrible terrible meters.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #211 on: September 16, 2005, 02:44:54 AM »
so if the adc on this unit blows, what are our alternatives in stealth situations?

My backup plan is to keep using the R1, until the Sonosax 2-channel comes out. I already replaced the t-mod sbm>d100 with the R1.

Offline gewwang

« Reply #212 on: September 16, 2005, 03:13:38 AM »
there isn't a stealthy 24 bit solution (aka sbm1 is for 16 bit)  is there?

Closest thing available is a v3 with a walmart battery. But I would only do this for semi-stealth situations, like venues that allow bags so you can run the v3 under your seat.

Offline gewwang

« Reply #213 on: September 16, 2005, 03:45:20 AM »
so for the time being we are screwed as far as running an outboard adc with this unit @ 24 bit resolution   :(

i guess i could pick up a sbm1 and run 16 bit only until a 24 bit adc comes along that is stealthable.

Honestly, I don't think any manufacturers would have any incentive to make a stealthy adc at this point.

I've been very happy with the R1's adc. If the microtrack is comparable to the R1, I will probably be looking to sell the R1 since the microtrack plans to address the 2 GB split, shows levels for both channels, has digital in - amongst other features not in the R1.

Offline Steelcorner27

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Audix ADX20-D, DPA 4061, Audix M1290
    • Steelcorner27 Trading Page
« Reply #214 on: September 16, 2005, 07:50:01 AM »

so if the adc on this unit blows, what are our alternatives in stealth situations?

My backup plan is to keep using the R1, until the Sonosax 2-channel comes out. I already replaced the t-mod sbm>d100 with the R1.

there isn't a stealthy 24 bit solution (aka sbm1 is for 16 bit)  is there?

Well there is the  mic24\96 seems to me that it wold be very stelthable, If you can stomach buying one from that source but ironicaly you can actually buy one from several other retailers at a cheeper price.

Brad

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #215 on: September 16, 2005, 07:54:44 AM »
I've been very happy with the R1's adc.

Having listened to a handful of R1 tapes where the onboard adc was used, I have to agree with George, very nice sounding....sax->R1 sounded very similar to Sax->TMod SBM1 to me...very clean....smooth sound...

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #216 on: September 16, 2005, 09:04:38 AM »
wow Nick, if the microtracker adc sounds anything comparable to a Tmod sbm1 I will be a very hapy customer. too bad the R1 has so many shortcomings........

really only three shortcomings...the 44.1 limit, single level bar (so cant tell if you are getting R/L levels, and about as much resolution as the JB3) and the 2 Gb limit, which the microtracker has today....if the microtracker fixes these and is stable...it should be a good box

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #217 on: September 16, 2005, 09:09:49 AM »
I've got mine!!!

It arrived yesterday from SP, while I was up in Boston and stuck there by US Airways cancelling all its afternoon flights to NYC.  Took the train and got home at 10pm.  It was waiting at my office this morning, and is now charging up.

The 1/4" TRS jacks are close together, but the SP stereo 1/8"-to-dual mono 1/4" cable fits it snugly.  I also used a Radio Shack 1/8" stereo female jack to 1 dual 1/8" mono plugs with 1/4" adapters to make a cable adapter for my DAP MMA6000 preamp.  I will do line-in tests this weekend.

It is smaller than I imagined, feels a bit fragile but seems okay overall.  

Jeff

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #218 on: September 16, 2005, 09:19:38 AM »
I've got mine!!!

It arrived yesterday from SP, while I was up in Boston and stuck there by US Airways cancelling all its afternoon flights to NYC.  Took the train and got home at 10pm.  It was waiting at my office this morning, and is now charging up.

The 1/4" TRS jacks are close together, but the SP stereo 1/8"-to-dual mono 1/4" cable fits it snugly.  I also used a Radio Shack 1/8" stereo female jack to 1 dual 1/8" mono plugs with 1/4" adapters to make a cable adapter for my DAP MMA6000 preamp.  I will do line-in tests this weekend.

It is smaller than I imagined, feels a bit fragile but seems okay overall. 

Jeff

+T for the new toy!
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #219 on: September 16, 2005, 09:26:05 AM »
hot damn, set it up and record some shit !

Yeah, and tell us what it does when it gets to the 2GB limit ;)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #220 on: September 16, 2005, 09:26:47 AM »

hot damn, set it up and record some shit !

If it's charged up by 11:30 I'm popping over to tape some piano, otherwise it will have to wait for tonight (it will explode in your hands and never run right if you don't fully charge it up the first time, according to the Quic Start Guide, isn't that what "limit the maximum record time" means?).  Also, I have to print out the manual (the Microtrack comes in a very small box, could be sold like a cheap calculator from one of those rack thingees in plastic.

The Kodak 64MB CF card is lame, looks like Kodak may have paid them to throw it in like an AOL CD.

Jeff

Offline gewwang

« Reply #221 on: September 16, 2005, 10:00:25 AM »
I'm glad WiFiJeff got the first unit here (if it wasn't me :)). His reviews and observations of the R1 were very helpful when I was deciding whether to get one or not.

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #222 on: September 16, 2005, 10:03:49 AM »
The Kodak 64MB CF card is lame, looks like Kodak may have paid them to throw it in like an AOL CD.

Re-label it is as a 4GB card and use it as a decoy if the stealth hits the fan.

Congrats on getting the first TS unit, fokker!

just hand them the 64 meg one, they wont have a clue.

congrats on the new toy, mething i'll be ordering soon.
mics & cameras

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #223 on: September 16, 2005, 10:13:21 AM »
Because every analog copy I have pulled on the JB3 haven't sounded good to me. The A/D in the JB3 is questionable. Maybe I had the gains not set well, maybe it was from the soundboard I was taking the Analog feed off of.

I have only used it before I had mics, and there was nobody to patch out of, and I knew the sound guy.

Has anybody here made good JB3 pulls off of the analog in ? ???

No way, I've tried every combination of gain on the JB3 with every firmware. Even at +/-0 with optimum input, it's still crap. And god help you if you don't have ideal levels, which are nearly impossible to obtain due to the terrible terrible meters.

If anyone hasn't heard it, I recommend listening to my D100 v NJB3 blind comp.  I think it shows that to most ears, on most playback systems, the JB3 line-in / ADC does NOT suck.  Anyone in doubt who wants to hear it, I'm happy to re-host it.

And, FWIW, I find the level meters crappy, but usable - just takes some practice.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline greenone

• Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #224 on: September 16, 2005, 10:20:09 AM »
It doesn't come fully charged?! What a fucking rip. Cancel my order.

;)
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com