Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Storing your Schoeps active setup  (Read 6164 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Storing your Schoeps active setup
« on: September 21, 2011, 08:19:02 AM »
I'm in the process of adding a KCY-based setup to my rig and am thinking about how to store it.  I don't own any Schoeps vials, and in any event I don't want to be unscrewing and screwing in capsules while at a show if I can avoid it.

I store the full bodies in a cigar caddy now... was wondering if maybe I could just punch some holes in another cigar caddy and have the attached caps sit in there, with the KCY running out of it.  Obviously it would not be airtight, but otherwise seems fine for temporary transport.  Thoughts? I know lots of guys use Pelicans, but I thought the caddy might be better as it is already padded.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
Re: Storing your Schoeps active setup
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 09:59:03 AM »
You could use one of these smaller otterboxes!!  Drill some holes on the end and line it with foam.  I used this model to store a set of AKG CK93/1 caps in the bags

http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-1000-Series-Waterproof-Case/dp/B001DZRA4K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1316613009&sr=8-2
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 10:25:23 AM »
You talkin KCY or KC5?
Main difference is that the splitter box on the KCY adds a little more thought process...
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 10:29:36 AM »
Sounds like he is just looking for cap storage.

You talkin KCY or KC5?
Main difference is that the splitter box on the KCY adds a little more thought process...
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
Just make sure to use non-static foam. that would suck to spend a ton of cash on schoeps gear and have it be slowly damaged due to foam...

Otherwise the basic premesis is the same for most active setups; get a box, drill a hole or two for cabling, and store caps when in transit.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 12:59:19 PM »
I'd ideally like to store the caps connected to the cables (KCY) to minimize screwing and unscrewing. 

Is it clear what foam is "non-static"?  Are cigar caddys non-static?
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 01:01:38 PM »
With my nbox and cmr cables, I've gotten in the habit of always leaving the capsules attached. As you've seen me do at shows, I used to bring the capsules in the vials and screw them on each time... it's a pain to do frequently and certainly adds some risk of dropping them in the process or wearing out the threads.

So, I usually just coil the cables and leave them in the gear bag. They're mostly protected from getting beat up, but if you wanted to take it a step further I'd recommend a Pelican 1010 or 1020 case. They'll probably be a tight fit in the 1010, but I don't have room in my bag to haul around a 1020 everywhere I go. As great as the Sundo-1 bag is, space is still somewhat at a premium, especially if you've got 2 preamps already crammed in there.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 01:22:48 PM »
I'd ideally like to store the caps connected to the cables (KCY) to minimize screwing and unscrewing. 

Is it clear what foam is "non-static"?  Are cigar caddys non-static?

there is a post floating around here about where to buy it and what to look for. I generally suck at TS searching, sorry.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 01:37:47 PM »
What I do, and I think some other people do, is to take the whole active assembly (caps, B5 windscreens, KC ends, NOLA bar, shock mount, and even the removable part from windtech clamp) and stuff the whole odd shaped thing into a Crown Royal bag.  Cinch it around the cables, and place it gently in the gear bag.  Next show, just pull the assembly out of the bag, use it, and put it back in the bag.  The only thing touching the caps is Schoeps brand windscreens, which I would hope I wouldn't have to worry about deterioration.  The Crown Royal bag helps keep dust and dirt away.  Between the windscreens, the cloth bag, and reasonable care, I think this thing is well protected.  You could replace the cloth bag with Tupperware, fishing tackle box, or something more exotic if it suits your fancy.  The big point is that leaving the whole assembly together makes more sense to me than removing KC cables from the NOLA bar every night, which would probably create some wear and tear on the KC cables.

My CMC bodies are stuffed inside 3/4" foam pipe insulation from the hardware store.  That's the way I inherited them, and they look good as new, even through they are probably quite old.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 02:32:22 PM »
What I do, and I think some other people do, is to take the whole active assembly (caps, B5 windscreens, KC ends, NOLA bar, shock mount, and even the removable part from windtech clamp) and stuff the whole odd shaped thing into a Crown Royal bag.  Cinch it around the cables, and place it gently in the gear bag.  Next show, just pull the assembly out of the bag, use it, and put it back in the bag.  The only thing touching the caps is Schoeps brand windscreens, which I would hope I wouldn't have to worry about deterioration.  The Crown Royal bag helps keep dust and dirt away.  Between the windscreens, the cloth bag, and reasonable care, I think this thing is well protected.  You could replace the cloth bag with Tupperware, fishing tackle box, or something more exotic if it suits your fancy.  The big point is that leaving the whole assembly together makes more sense to me than removing KC cables from the NOLA bar every night, which would probably create some wear and tear on the KC cables.

as best I can tell, all windscreens deteriorate, it's just at what rate. Now, is it better to just leave them on or remove them after each show? I don't know. I leave mine on if I'm in a run of shows or in transit, but if I've got a dry spell of a couple months or so, I pull them off and before I put them back on I squeeze, tap, and shake them to get rid of any material that is close enough to falling out (and thus into the mic cap).

Otherwise I've done the same thing on occasion. I use a different mounting system, but I leave the mount, clamp, & bar all assembled sitting on top of the bag with cables attached to the caps. Sometimes I leave the caps mounted like you suggest, othertimes I put them in a little pouch or box, depends on what other junk I'm taking with me on that particular excursion or how much jostling I think it will have to live through.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 02:56:31 PM »
I store all of my Schoeps gear in schoeps wooden boxes and vials when not in use.

If I am running an active setup, when I go to a show I mount all my gear day of show (i.e. to Kwon/Vark bar with A20s) and put on the larger DPA windscreens and place on the top of my bag then close it up (active cables wrapped around the A20s/Bar).  Never had any problems doing this and have been running my rig this way since '02.

I just picked up a KCY 250/0 so this may change how the cables are connected and placement of the capsules in the bag but I am sure it won't change much.

My bodies are typically velcro encased inside the walls of my Stealth Reporter bag or stored in the webbed pocket (seperated by cabling) in the top of my rack gear.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 02:59:53 PM by H²O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline SmokinJoe

• uploads to archive.org
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 03:48:05 PM »
Someone brought up a good point... how often do you use it?  If it's twice a year, you might do well to disassemble and put everything in museum grade storage between shows.  If it's twice a week, you don't want to wear out the threads, get sweaty hands on the nextel, etc, and you are better off to leave it assembled.

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 04:48:40 PM »
The foam you are looking for is usuallly anti-static pink.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 05:37:26 PM »
I leave EVERYTHING plugged in and that way its ready for me at a moments notice ;)

My KCY is plugged into my Lemosax, and the mk41s are on my DINa NOLABar, and my shock is on the NOLABar, and my DPA Screens are on the capsules ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 05:38:09 PM »

So does that mean that all the foam in the Pelican cases (the black "pick and pluck" stuff) can develop a static charge and should NOT be used?  If this is the case it's somewhat distressing as I'm sure I'm not the only one who uses Pelican cases to transport and store their mics.

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 07:07:49 PM »
^ eeks, yes do tell if anyone knows more of this.......

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 07:08:55 PM »
Someone brought up a good point... how often do you use it?  If it's twice a year, you might do well to disassemble and put everything in museum grade storage between shows.  If it's twice a week, you don't want to wear out the threads, get sweaty hands on the nextel, etc, and you are better off to leave it assembled.

I'm using my "main" mics (the Schoeps and DPAs) at least 1x week/ea I'd say....

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 09:22:41 PM »
All foam deteriorates over time as far as I can tell. I've had DPA, Neumann, AKG, Windtech and Schoeps windscreens. All of them showed signs of deterioration, the schoeps in about 1 year. It starts with seeing black dust if you thump them. That black dust can become charged and stick to the capsule and gunk it up. I would imagine pelican foam would do the same thing especially since when you pull it apart it kind of shreds. I previously kept my caps attached to the Nbox actives and in B1 windscreens inside film cans. When I noticed dust I started storing them in the vials. Since I rarely record these days, I just attach them before the show. I haven't noticed dust from my Schoeps B5D screens or Shure 81s FWIW, but I'm sure they degrade as well.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 10:07:30 PM »
As an aside, can the KCx plastic caps and the "short" vials for MK4/41's be purchased seperately? I think I remember Posthorn's site saying they are discontinued (or not for individual sale)?

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 10:15:36 PM »
As an aside, can the KCx plastic caps and the "short" vials for MK4/41's be purchased seperately? I think I remember Posthorn's site saying they are discontinued (or not for individual sale)?

Still available! $6 for the short vials and $12 for the tall ones.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 10:29:34 PM »

Still available! $6 for the short vials and $12 for the tall ones.

Thank you. I think I just had my first senior moment. Coulda sworn I recently read they are not for individual sale...

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 11:00:07 PM »

I used to do 3-4 shows a weak and during 2002-2004 period I would live the bodies in the bag but always put up my capsules - I have never had any issues with the threads on my mics - and I was screwing them on and off 8 times a week.  The only threads that ever wore out where my A20s plastic threads and that was after about 6 years of heavy use.

To each his own though.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 07:06:26 AM »

So does that mean that all the foam in the Pelican cases (the black "pick and pluck" stuff) can develop a static charge and should NOT be used?  If this is the case it's somewhat distressing as I'm sure I'm not the only one who uses Pelican cases to transport and store their mics.
I work in a custom cable facility and all of the anti-static packing foam we
use for components is pink. Not to say all anti-static foam would be pink.
I am sure it comes in other colors. Pelican cases I am not sure about. Look at their intended purpose.
For example
The cigar boxes everyone uses why would a cigar box need to be anti-static? I highly doubt it is to be honest.

On the flip side though, no one I am aware of has reported any problems with static and cigar boxes
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 07:16:10 AM by newplanet7 »
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline SmokinJoe

• uploads to archive.org
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 11:58:22 AM »
OK.  I'm convinced.  I think I'm gonna switch to vials.  Or maybe use caps on bodies more often (non-active), in which case, stored in the original velvety box.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 01:26:23 PM »
On the static issue, foam windscreens are neoprene foam, right? The mic OEM's sell that foam to be placed onto the capsule, so it must be safe(?). So wouldn't neoprene foam to fine to store mics?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 03:29:50 PM »
OK.  I'm convinced.  I think I'm gonna switch to vials.  Or maybe use caps on bodies more often (non-active), in which case, stored in the original velvety box.

my heavens good sir, no need of that crazy talk round these parts!  :o  ;D

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 04:04:04 PM »
I have had my large DPA screens for 12 years now, and they ARE NOT DETERIORATING AT ALL :P ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 54 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com