Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What happened to my test run? (SD 702 related...)  (Read 2625 times)

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Los Bulls!!!
What happened to my test run? (SD 702 related...)
« on: February 09, 2008, 02:05:44 AM »
Hey, I posted this in the Team 7xx thread also, but I really need help and fast.

I was trying the new gear out, just getting the feel of it and...Something wrong with my test run...

I got my cables and set everything up and recorded my computer stereo while I was doing homework. When I played back after transferring files, I found a "scratching noise" every now and then. Mics are plugged in and on Vark bar, SD 702 is sitting on table with cables plugged in, using the battery that came with SD 702. Attached is a short sample of what I'm getting.

Any help?

Oh, and firmware is most recent, cables are all plugged in, nothing was moved while it recorded. Got ~3 hours on stock battery at 24/96, if that matters at all.
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
Re: What happened to my test run? (SD 702 related...)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »
Thought I should update, in case anyone ever sees this same thing happen. First pic is a wav file that had music pumping out of my computer stereo. The recorder was not connected to the computer at all but rather running off a battery. The second picture is basically the same set up BUT no mics plugged in. (Thanks for the suggestion, Freelunch  ;D). In the second pic, see the same random spikes? Check the green bar at the bottom of the pic and then the lines directly to the right of them. That's quite the spike, huh? I've contacted the retailer and hopefully I can just exchange for a new one. At least try that before contacting SD directly.

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 02:06:09 PM »
i don't know what wrong with your 702, but i could watch that woman in your avatar all day! she really landed a good one. i'd like some audio with it plus a few extra seconds on the beginning and the end.

uh, and SD is good about taking care of their gear. i'm sure it'll be resolved quickly.

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 02:31:07 PM »
Audio would be nice. I'm sure it made a nice thumping sound. Watch that lady's head shake when she gets hit. That must have hurt!

I contacted Sweetwater, who I bought the recorder from and they are gonna have the tech people get back with me. I asked him, worst case scenario, I have shows this coming weekend that I have to tape, If I have to send this back can you get me another one before the day I need it. And his reply was "oh yea, we're not gonna leave you high and dry without a recorder". I like that response! But let's see if they follow through.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 04:52:14 PM »
it's a bad A/D chip.  this is a known issue with some units, and Sound Devices will send you a new A/D chip for free (it's easy to replace).  See this thread:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,79553.0.html

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 05:56:07 PM »
Thanks for that link and info. +T

I wonder though, by what I read in that thread, does this apply to the 702? I saw where it specifically applied to the 722 and 744, but failed to see the 702 mentioned. Also I wonder if this applied to units that had the v14-v16 sticker and under? Mine says v2.0 on the sticker and the serial number is made up of numbers and alphabet. So would that mean it was built after they found out some units had bad A/D chips?

Sorry for all the questions, I've been doing research for school all day and have that mentality set in.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 08:27:03 PM »
About SD support: I had a problem and mailed them my machine.  They mailed it back when repaired, but they had not fixed the problem.  I e-mailed them and the overnighted me a new SD and asked me to send them back the faulty unit, the original.  I did. they never sent me back the faulty unit.  Nice treatment  If they are in error they fix it.  I sure wish everybody was as good at looking after their customers.  But I am sure glad they are.  ;o)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 07:30:38 AM »
Thanks for that link and info. +T

I wonder though, by what I read in that thread, does this apply to the 702? I saw where it specifically applied to the 722 and 744, but failed to see the 702 mentioned. Also I wonder if this applied to units that had the v14-v16 sticker and under? Mine says v2.0 on the sticker and the serial number is made up of numbers and alphabet. So would that mean it was built after they found out some units had bad A/D chips?

Sorry for all the questions, I've been doing research for school all day and have that mentality set in.

hmmm, good point about that thread specifically referencing the 722 and the 744.  Even so, your wave files look pretty much exactly the same as the wav files that I was getting.  I'd get in touch with Sound Devices, let them know the issue and go from there.  as Boojum mentioned, their customer service is top notch.

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 06:50:59 PM »
So I ran more tests. This time I changed the Input Routing to: Input 1-A, Input 2-B. I wanted to see if the mics were okay first since I bought them used. Then what I did, instead of using the firewire cable to transfer the files I used my Microtrack recorder. Popped in the CF and transferred via USB. Opened the files in Cool Edit Pro and wha-la! No more spikes. I know somewhere in the provided link to another thread someone mentioned that the firewire transfers were jacking up the wav files. So I figured it wouldn't hurt to try a test.

So far: mics are good, the 702 seems fine but will have to call SD about the problem I'm having.

I'm trying another test where I have reverted the Input Routing to: Input 1-A,B & Input 2-A,B. All tests are done in 24/96 and all other settings have remained the same. After this test is done then I'll transfer one file with the MT and then another straight from the 702 via firewire and compare the results. I kind of know what results to expect but I'm anal like that. I have to know. ;D

Thanks everyone for the help +T's.

Posted in Team 7xx thread as well.

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 09:17:31 PM »
So I ended up with the same results. MT transfer was flawless, and the firewire transfer was jacked up. Contacted Sound Devices today and we wanted to try one more thing before sending in the unit. Try transferring to another computer via firewire and try a different firewire cable.

Guess what? I feel like an a$$! It was the firewire cable that I was using. Got it for $4 off ebay. Should have known not to go cheap. Picked one up from Circuit City, a Belkin one and it transferred flawlessly. I'm such a dope! But really how would I have known. Good thing I like to test stuff and didn't jump to conclusions and send the unit in for repairs that don't exist.

Duh! But at least it made for good discussion... ::)

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 11:28:11 PM »
i was really hoping it wasn't your new cables!
+t
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 11:35:08 AM »
You can be assured that you are not the only one whio makes these mistakes.  You are the better for admitting it.  Cheers and a +T.
Nov schmoz kapop.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 03:58:21 PM »
Well cable is part of the gear, so it's good that you tried that out too.  Also good that you had a good tech that you were working with.  It's definitely a nice thing about SD and their service.  The gear costs some good money, but really what can be said about everything related to this company but positive, from the high quality of their gear on down.  Second ot none.  When it comes right down to it, once again it's really worth the extra money paid for such products.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com