Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtracker firmware 1.4.5 released  (Read 14221 times)

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
Microtracker firmware 1.4.5 released
« on: November 14, 2006, 12:26:45 AM »
MAC: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.drivers&f=761
PC: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.drivers&f=762

Micro Track 2496

Version: 1.4.5

Release Date: November 13, 2006

Applies to:
MicroTrack 24/96

Operating System(s):
Windows 2000, Windows XP

Release Notes:
All this information is available inside a readme.txt included with the download.

Changes from v1.4.3 to v1.4.5:

- Increased data transfer speed when the MicroTrack is used as a card reader
- Fixed compatibility issue with some media (media would continually ask to be reformatted)
- Date fields would not flash when changing them in date menu. Fixed
- Playback meters would stick at about 80% on MP3 files after restarting MicroTrack. Fixed
- Right channel clip light would sometimes flash when recording a high level signal on the left channel. Fixed
- If a file was recorded and then deleted, the next file name would not be incremented. Fixed
- Corrected some incorrect German translation strings
- Loop mode now activates when you have held the menu button down for 2 seconds (it no longer waits for you to release the button to activate). Also, after activating loop mode, the next press of the menu button will place a small plus (+) sign on the left side of the loop mode icon. This signifies that a loop start point has been marked. Pressing the menu button one more time will place a small plus (+) sign to the right side of the loop mode icon to indicate that the loop end point has been placed. The MicroTrack will automatically start looping between these points. To stop looping and exit loop mode, press and hold the menu button again for 2 seconds.
- MicroTrack could freeze if the unit was powered on by plugging into the AC charger, left until fully charged at the screen with the AC power plug on it, and then unplugged from AC power. Fixed

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Microtracker firmware 1.4.5 released
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 01:26:27 AM »
Thanks, but where is the 2GB versus 2 billion bytes fix?  ???
Where is the seamless auto-reopen fix?
Is it never happening?

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 09:23:04 AM »
I would think not.   :(
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 10:23:19 AM »
I would think not.   :(

Me neither. Just my opinion though.

J.T.

Offline anhisr

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 10:28:13 AM »
but, when I see that there is an update  ;D, I look to see if just maybe they did it  :o .  Only to go, it will never happen.  :'(
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 11:17:53 AM »
I somehow think that if it could be implemented, it already would have happened.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 12:57:47 PM »
Wish they will fix the forward and rewind function....respond so SLOW - hardly does anything. Sometimes not even slow...it pauses the music!
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline eclark

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 01:34:28 PM »
thanks man, good looks!
akg 460b + ck61 (-10db) > MixPre-D > Sony PCM M10

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 03:42:54 PM »
For anyone who may be interested I can verify a couple of the changes in 1.4.5

- Increased data transfer speed when the MicroTrack is used as a card reader

I copied a 2GB audio file to and from a PQI Hi Speed 100 4 GB CF card and see the following data transfer times.

time to copy 2GB file from CF card to PC (Windows XP on HP laptop):

Using 1.4.3/1.02 bootloader: 26 minutes 34 seconds
Using 1.4.5/1.04 bootloader: 12 minutes 17 seconds

time to copy 2GB file from PC to CF card (Windows XP on HP laptop):

Using 1.4.3/1.02 bootloader: 23 minutes 07 seconds
Using 1.4.5/1.04 bootloader: 19 minutes 18 seconds

For reading from the card to the PC that's a pretty decent increase. Copying "to" the card, not such a great increase but that's much less important to me than read speed. Of course with my dedicated Lexar card reader it's still much faster than that (4:55 to read and 10:38 to write) but now, if I don't have the Lexar with me I can use the MicroTrack to offload my media without having to catch a movie while it's copying.

And the PQI media I used, had the issue of the MicroTrack continually asking to reformat with 1.4.3 but it's fine now with 1.4.5, so this must be one of the cards that's covered by the statement "- Fixed compatibility issue with some media (media would continually ask to be reformatted)"

My tests probably weren't the most scientific but they were pretty well controlled. So you're results may vary but I would expect you'd see similar results.

I'm happy.

J.T.

Offline JoeKiller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 02:26:37 PM »
I ran this firmware Tuesday night (11/14) for Particle and had no problems.  As always I just use this for 24/48 bit dump via S/PDIF from my mini-me.
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline manleyf

• Taperssection Regular
  • http://SoulCoustic.com
    • Separate Reality Productions
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 12:36:39 AM »
I just upgraded my MT firmware to the latest version, but I'm not sure that my Bootloader is updating.

When I look at my version from the System menu, it shows firmware 1.4.5 but for Bootloader - it is blank.

When its actually booting the M-Audio splash shows 1.0 in the lower right hand corner.

I re-updated the firmware and even noticed the "Bootloader update complete" message.

Has anyone else experience this or found a fix for it? 

TIA for any help,
Manley
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 12:40:48 AM by manleyf »
Earthworks SR30/SRO > V3 > MT/JB3
Church Audio Pro-Cards/Mini-Omnis > ChruchAudio 9100 PreAmp > MT/JB3
http://RecordMeLive.com
http://SoulCoustic.com

Offline anhisr

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 06:40:01 AM »
Checked mine after the update and all is fine.  Call Tech support and see if they have a clue.
Video Canon HF R30

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 10:57:16 AM »
I just upgraded my MT firmware to the latest version, but I'm not sure that my Bootloader is updating.

When I look at my version from the System menu, it shows firmware 1.4.5 but for Bootloader - it is blank.

When its actually booting the M-Audio splash shows 1.0 in the lower right hand corner.

I re-updated the firmware and even noticed the "Bootloader update complete" message.

Has anyone else experience this or found a fix for it? 

TIA for any help,
Manley

What version of the firwmare were you running previously?  If you were still running bootloader 1.0, that implies you were still running really old firmware (or else the bootloader not updating problem happened to you long ago too and you are just now noticing it). Maybe it doesn't like updating from such an old version (though the read me says noting about requiring you to do an interim update).  I would try updating to 1.4.3 first and see if the same thing happens. Then try 1.4.0, etc. until you get that bootloader to change. Then try the 1.4.5 again.

Offline manleyf

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 12:36:08 PM »
Great advice, and that had already crossed my mind...
So, I updated to each and every version.  After updating to 1.3.3, the blank bootloader - issue came up.

It still says "Booting Firmware 1.00" on the splash screen during boot.  The application firmware is up to date, and it seems to be working fine. 

I'm going to try and call M-Audio support now that I've registered it.

Update to come.... 

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 02:00:25 PM »
wow, the new firmware allows me to use my pqi flash card
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 02:27:49 PM »

Cool. I'm not the only one.

J.T.

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2006, 02:53:16 PM »

J.T.

What capacity pqi cards?
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006, 03:25:06 PM »

J.T.

What capacity pqi cards?

I just have the one. A 4GB Hi-Speed 100 Card

J.T.

Offline ghibliss

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2006, 03:42:10 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had tested to see the different times associated with the CF vards base don their speed ratings when the card performs the auto file split function.  My 4 GB Kingston Elite Pro 45X speed card loses approximately ten seconds of audio in the interval between a "write to card" and starting a new file.  I am interested in learning how much faster the 150X speed card is between the "write to card" and starting a new file.  Is it safe to assume that it would take about 1/3rd of the time a 45X speed card takes meaning about 3 seconds?

Offline ghibliss

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2006, 03:46:58 PM »
Is anyone using the Transcend 4GB Digital 150X speed CF cards with the Micro-Track 24/96 ?  These cards are on sale now for $74.99 after rebate which is a great price (I think).  If the piece is compatable I will purchase one for recording use as the enhanced speed of the card will allow faster transfer rates to my pc when I retrun from recording a concert. 

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2006, 03:52:49 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had tested to see the different times associated with the CF vards base don their speed ratings when the card performs the auto file split function.  My 4 GB Kingston Elite Pro 45X speed card loses approximately ten seconds of audio in the interval between a "write to card" and starting a new file.  I am interested in learning how much faster the 150X speed card is between the "write to card" and starting a new file.  Is it safe to assume that it would take about 1/3rd of the time a 45X speed card takes meaning about 3 seconds?

The shortest gap I've even seen is between 6 and 8 seconds. I think the processor or the buffers configurations won't go any faster no matter what speed the card is (IMO).  This was (I think) on a Sandisk Ultra II card (I can't recall what 'x' this card is but it's plenty fast).

J.T.

Offline ghibliss

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 04:07:30 PM »
I just spoke with M-Audio regarding the read/write speed of CF cards with the MicroTrack 24/96 and they advised me that it is directly related to the card speed.  They also advised that the buffer size in the recorder is not large enough to ever make the auto file split function seemless so that their will always be some data lost in the transition between files.  It would seem to me that at this point in the firmwares development they are not able to provide too much more that one could want that is of any real significance.  I would like the ff/rw control to work better to review the recording on the machine but if i really need to do this I simply perform the function via software on my pc so it is relatively unimportant.

I use the MT as a bit bucket so the mic preamplifier stage and phantom power are not a concern of mine since I use an external a/d converter mic preamplifer with my DPA 4061 microphones.  The sound quality that I am gettng is really quite amazing even when I compare to far more expensive recorders such as a Sound Devices SD 722 used with more expensive microphones.  The MT is in my opinion the best of the stealth recorders available. Having attended shows where small size is a major concern or you simply will not be able to get past security I can say this is not only the right choice but one of the only choices for equipment thatyou might have to record certain concerts with.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006, 05:33:46 PM »
Is anyone using the Transcend 4GB Digital 150X speed CF cards with the Micro-Track 24/96 ?  These cards are on sale now for $74.99 after rebate which is a great price (I think).  If the piece is compatable I will purchase one for recording use as the enhanced speed of the card will allow faster transfer rates to my pc when I retrun from recording a concert. 

Prior to the new firmware, the Trancend 4gb 150X did not work. It would run for a while and then shut down. If I get a chance, I'll test it this weekend. I have 2 of the cards, and they work great in my Tascam and in my Canon camera. If I get the chance, I'll report back on it.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline manleyf

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2006, 06:28:39 PM »
BTW- my Bootloader update issue was resolved by loading the firmware with the supplied 128mb CF card from M-Audio.

The Bootlaoder firmware would not properly update from my 4gb Kingston CF card.  I think I'll keep the 128mb card with me at all times with the latest firmware on it in case of field emergencies. 

FYI- I also learned that by holding down the menu and power button on boot will force it into emergency recovery mode, and force it to load the firmware from the CF card.

Ready for UM now!
Manley

Offline Phil

• Taperssection Member
  • Control for smilers can't be bought
    • BitTorrentMusic.com
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2006, 08:24:07 PM »
If you think about it....  These are some goofy ass problems.  Especially the "incorrect German Translation Strings"  ;D "All your bass is belong to us" ;)

- Playback meters would stick at about 80% on MP3 files after restarting MicroTrack. Fixed
- Right channel clip light would sometimes flash when recording a high level signal on the left channel. Fixed
- If a file was recorded and then deleted, the next file name would not be incremented. Fixed
- Corrected some incorrect German translation strings
AKG 481 > V3 > MT2496 or VXpocket 440 > Laptop

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2006, 10:10:03 AM »
I use the MT as a bit bucket so the mic preamplifier stage and phantom power are not a concern of mine since I use an external a/d converter mic preamplifer with my DPA 4061 microphones.  The sound quality that I am gettng is really quite amazing even when I compare to far more expensive recorders such as a Sound Devices SD 722

When running digital in, the recording device has absolutely nothing to do with the sound quality whatsoever. Whether you're running the $300 MT, the $2400 SD 722, or the $10,000 Cantar the results wll be identical.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2006, 10:15:38 AM »

J.T.

What capacity pqi cards?

I just have the one. A 4GB Hi-Speed 100 Card

J.T.

ditto
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2006, 10:26:30 AM »
When running digital in, the recording device has absolutely nothing to do with the sound quality whatsoever. Whether you're running the $300 MT, the $2400 SD 722, or the $10,000 Cantar the results wll be identical.

Exactly.. And, in fact, this blind comp had the r09 A/D, when running behind the v3 analog, preferred over the v3 A/D > microtrack, 8 votes to 3.. My point is that the compact a/d's continue to significantly improve and running digi out from something like a v3 isn't always better..

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=70847.0

And no way does it mean the r09 a/d is better than the v3 a/d. Just that most folks preferred that sound on this source.  FWIW, my comps suggest the r09 a/d is still significantly inferior to the 722 a/d. I wish that weren't the case...

What I'd still REALLY like to see with the mt is the ability to record as two mono tracks, each up to 2GB in size.  That would allow 2 hours of continuous record time at 24/96.  I'd seriously think of getting a mytek if the mt could do 2 hours continuous.

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2006, 02:07:17 PM »

The Bootlaoder firmware would not properly update from my 4gb Kingston CF card.  I think I'll keep the 128mb card with me at all times with the latest firmware on it in case of field emergencies. 

Seems as if your 4GB Kingston CF is now not "COMPLETELY" compatible with the new firmware..

Offline manleyf

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2006, 05:21:03 PM »
Seems as if your 4GB Kingston CF is now not "COMPLETELY" compatible with the new firmware..

You may be right.  I've also noticed that I quite often get the MEDIA FULL message, even though its completely blank and freshly formatted (I'm using the Kingston 4gb Elite Pro with the Lizard on it).  Every time, I hit record again and it works.  This does make me nervous though.

First night out with it this evening to see UM here in STL.  This little MF MT better be solid.  I love it so far, let's see how it works when it really counts....

Offline bewildered

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2006, 12:30:16 AM »
Im still getting incremental file names even after i format my card. What gives, i thought this was supposed to fix that? what happens when you reach 10,000.mp3, your MT blows up?

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2006, 02:40:53 PM »
Is it never happening?

It will never happen...
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2006, 04:25:13 PM »
Is it never happening?

It will never happen...

It's got to be a buffer issue. As long as MT owners have been asking about it, they'd have implemented it now if it was possible. Such a shame too, as it's gotten more stable and user friendly with every firmware update.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2006, 11:18:12 AM »
Im still getting incremental file names even after i format my card. What gives, i thought this was supposed to fix that? what happens when you reach 10,000.mp3, your MT blows up?

The MicroTrack resets to file 0001 when you set to defaults. And also presumably when you get to the 10,000 file like you said.

J.T.

Offline bewildered

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2006, 03:22:04 PM »

The MicroTrack resets to file 0001 when you set to defaults. And also presumably when you get to the 10,000 file like you said.

J.T.

what do you mean when i set it to defualt? like i have to reset all my settings just to do what this firmware claims to do on its own? According to this firmware it should reset itself everytime i format my card. the file numbers should reflect the number of files on the card.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2006, 03:29:20 PM »
mine never resets the file number rather i updated the firmware or i formated the card
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2006, 04:36:19 PM »

J.T.

what do you mean when i set it to defualt? like i have to reset all my settings just to do what this firmware claims to do on its own? According to this firmware it should reset itself everytime i format my card. the file numbers should reflect the number of files on the card.

Unfortunately (for you), that's not the way the MicroTrack firmware works and not how (IMO) I think it should.  If it worked that way you'd end up with conflicting file names on multiple pieces of media. I'd end up with a file0001.wav on each of my CF cards.  I want it to increment for every audio file it creates until I reset it. That's how my digital camera works. I don't end up with multiple dsc0001.jpg files.

And yes by set to defaults I mean using the set to Factory Defaults command from the system menu which will set all the changeable settings back to the defaults (input source, bit depth, contrast etc.).

What gave you the impression that it worked differently than this?  Maybe M-Audio has an issue in their manual?

I hope this helps make things clearer for you.

J.T.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2006, 12:45:42 PM »
so after some time now
all in all

this update is good and worth doing in most peoples opinions?
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline JoeKiller

• Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2006, 01:24:38 PM »
While running the openers to the Duo 12/2 I experience my first channel flip.  I was strange I have no idea how it happened or what the circumstances were.  Everything else ran fine after I reset the MT.   

Note this was my first flip with any of the firmwares, and I am up to 190 or so on recordings.
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline gorlando

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2007, 03:18:07 AM »
Sometimes I am using the MT as a bit bucket with input from a CoreSound MIC2496.
When I upgraded the firmware to the 1.4.5 I had the pleasant surprise to have the MT meters actually working!!!
I have not seen this reported so far, so I think this info could be useful to somebody
Giovanni
Schoeps MK4's ORTF, MK41 & MK8 M-S, DPA 4060's,
Schoeps KCY, Naiant Tinybox II, Self-Made Battery Box for DPA's
Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, M-Audio Microtrack II

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2007, 11:04:21 AM »
Which version of the firmware did you upgrade from?  I've had pretty good luck with the meters since the 3rd? version of the firmware.  I forget what version number that was but it's been while.  Once I figured out the scale (thanks GuySonic) of the meters I found them very useful.  I've been able to run my levels much hotter than I had with my M1 without "overs" and I think my recordings sound better for it.

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline gorlando

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2007, 11:16:51 AM »
I had 1.4.3 before. However the point I want to make is that with the 1.4.5 the meters actually work with the MT used as bit bucket, i.e. recording a digital signal via the SPDIF digital input.
This is very convenient to me because the MIC2496 has only 2 leds to set the level and this is one thing I don't like of it. With the MT meters it is easier to set the right input level.
Giovanni
Schoeps MK4's ORTF, MK41 & MK8 M-S, DPA 4060's,
Schoeps KCY, Naiant Tinybox II, Self-Made Battery Box for DPA's
Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, M-Audio Microtrack II

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2007, 11:28:17 AM »
I always used mine as a bit bucket too.  Can you describe what changed?  I'm not doubting it, I just missed it.

Thanks!

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline ghibliss

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2007, 11:57:43 AM »
Nothing has changed with this update relevant to the merters working with the spdif input to the MT 24/96  I have the same set up and it has worked correctly on previous releases without problems.  The Mic 2496 lights are much faster repsonse than the meters on the recorder and allow you to accurately set a -12.5 db level and forget looking at the meters after that!  I am recording exclusively at 24/96 so using the -12.5 db level provides substantial headroom so that over saturation is not an issue.  The levels indicated on the Microtrack recorder seem to correspond well with the LED lights on the Mic 2496 as well.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2007, 12:18:08 PM »
Nothing has changed with this update relevant to the merters working with the spdif input to the MT 24/96  I have the same set up and it has worked correctly on previous releases without problems.  The Mic 2496 lights are much faster repsonse than the meters on the recorder and allow you to accurately set a -12.5 db level and forget looking at the meters after that!  I am recording exclusively at 24/96 so using the -12.5 db level provides substantial headroom so that over saturation is not an issue.  The levels indicated on the Microtrack recorder seem to correspond well with the LED lights on the Mic 2496 as well.

I agree, and mostly I am now using mt MT as a little portable recorder, using a various mics into a battery box that accepts the 1/8 jack on many mics, uses the MT's TRS jacks and sits atop the unit. I have always thought the meters were ok, but slow, (it took some time to understand them and what they are trying to communicate) but the leds were right on and I can record hot without distortion. The unit is pretty forgiving too, so it is ok to see them glow red occasionally. I do not think anything changed on this firmware upgrade regarding the meters. The biggest difference I noticed was that the unit is now more accepting of some CF cards that it struggled with before. Specifically for me I had a 4gb Kingston (45x or 50x I cannot recall which), and it would stop recording after a time. It works fine now with that card.

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2007, 10:09:58 AM »

I agree, and mostly I am now using mt MT as a little portable recorder, using a various mics into a battery box that accepts the 1/8 jack on many mics, uses the MT's TRS jacks and sits atop the unit. I have always thought the meters were ok, but slow, (it took some time to understand them and what they are trying to communicate) but the leds were right on and I can record hot without distortion. The unit is pretty forgiving too, so it is ok to see them glow red occasionally. I do not think anything changed on this firmware upgrade regarding the meters. The biggest difference I noticed was that the unit is now more accepting of some CF cards that it struggled with before. Specifically for me I had a 4gb Kingston (45x or 50x I cannot recall which), and it would stop recording after a time. It works fine now with that card.

Was the kingston card an elite one ? I've used a Elite Kingston 45x since the beginning and never had a problem with it. I also use a sandisk, non ultra and have no problems either ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2007, 10:18:23 AM »

Was the kingston card an elite one ? I've used a Elite Kingston 45x since the beginning and never had a problem with it. I also use a sandisk, non ultra and have no problems either ...

Kingston elite pro 45X 4GB. I would get a message the first time I pressed record, saying media full, and then have to press it a second time. It would fail sometimes a few minutes into recording. I don't have this problem anymore with it.

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2007, 01:49:14 AM »
I get this message, too. I have to press REC 2 times before it can start recording...that is using the 4GB 45X Kingston Elite and with the current firmware.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2007, 08:06:37 AM »
I get this message, too. I have to press REC 2 times before it can start recording...that is using the 4GB 45X Kingston Elite and with the current firmware.

I have NEVER had this happen usingthe 4GB 45X Kingston Elite and with the current firmware - wonder what is up there for you guys??
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2007, 08:16:36 AM »
Neither have I. In fact I never had that error at all. Have you both reformatted the cards before each new recording ?

FWIW I am still running FW 1.4.3 ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2007, 05:07:11 PM »
Neither have I. In fact I never had that error at all. Have you both reformatted the cards before each new recording ?

FWIW I am still running FW 1.4.3 ...

I usually reformat, but do not always remember to. I think the Kingston is more sensitive to needing an occasional reformatting. My 5GB Seagate never required it, it made absolutely no difference, and the Sandisc I use currently does not seem to require or especially react if I reformat or not.. The message I get with the Kingston 4GB, is no longer an issue because it records fine, but strange that it happens. I have a 2GB Kingston, and I do not get the message with that CF card. Now I tend to use the Kingston 4GB in my Camera or Tascam, because of that one extra button push required, but I would not hesitate to use it if I needed it.

Strange that not everyone gets that message. I am running the newest 1.4.5, which I think is the best firmware to date.

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2007, 10:10:32 PM »
When I use my 2GB card I never get this message only with the 4GB. Do not know why... I do digital in, using the USB external power, and recording at 24/96 with the 4GB Kingston 45X. You people doing the same setting and setup? Maybe it is dependent on the setup & settings. Yes, I always format the card before using it.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2007, 11:30:34 AM »
When I use my 2GB card I never get this message only with the 4GB. Do not know why... I do digital in, using the USB external power, and recording at 24/96 with the 4GB Kingston 45X. You people doing the same setting and setup? Maybe it is dependent on the setup & settings. Yes, I always format the card before using it.

These days I am only going in via the TRS jacks, so the settings do not seem to be the reason. I record usually at 16/48. I also only get the message on the 4GB, not the 2GB Kingston.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.173 seconds with 77 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com