Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MicroTrack 0kb file problem (have read the FAQ) - please help!  (Read 6973 times)

Offline kfrinkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Karl Frinkle Dot Net
MicroTrack 0kb file problem (have read the FAQ) - please help!
« on: October 20, 2009, 10:36:32 AM »
Ok, so taped a show last night, MT was charged, had it charging while taping... Got to the encore, I almost started a new track, decided against it since the set was so short.  I stopped looking at the MT about 5 minutes before the end of the encore, and when I went to stop the recording AFTER the set was finally over, the MT was already off. I was very confused, but figured shit, even if it shut down, it should have saved first.  I got home last night, saw the 0kb file problem.   I read up on it at these two links:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=53521.0
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=55626.0

And I was able to do the chkdsk /f and the wav file came back!  There is also a tmpXXX file that has almost 300 mb in it (the wav file that was recovered is approx 1.2 gb)  So after that I tried doing the 'fix the header' routine that has been suggested, first with AudioHack, and I got the "input file has no data chunk!" error.  I also tried the CEP route... Both to no avail (got the white noise wav form).  Would anyone be willing to take a crack at this?  I am super duper freaking out about this. I have unlimited space on my server on campus, could upload files for someone to checkout.

I am also open to more suggestions.  This is a very very very very very (did I say very) important recording to me, and I am gonna cry if I cannot save most of it...

Also, what is up with the temp file being 300mb?  That really sucks....
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: MicroTrack 0kb file problem (have read the FAQ) - please help!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 12:03:21 PM »
There is always a temp file created when you use the MT. It is part of how it operates. I am guessing it has operational information that is created when the card is formatted. As for your file, I'm guessing that you did not have the lock on when you went to almost start a new file. Probably hit something which cause the file to not shut down correctly. I have had the MT recorder for a few years now, and as long as I lock and unlock before and after any button presses I have never lost a file. In my first days with the unit if I left the unit unlocked I lost an occasional file, so I am well trained to not do so.

I really hate to say this, and certainly you should not go by this, but whether the file is really inportant or not, it likely is lost. I have not seen anyone bring the file back from this type of problem. I hope I am wrong, sorry!
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 12:05:48 PM »
There is always a temp file created when you use the MT. It is part of how it operates. I am guessing it has operational information that is created when the card is formatted. As for your file, I'm guessing that you did not have the lock on when you went to almost start a new file. Probably hit something which cause the file to not shut down correctly. I have had the MT recorder for a few years now, and as long as I lock and unlock before and after any button presses I have never lost a file. In my first days with the unit if I left the unit unlocked I lost an occasional file, so I am well trained to not do so.

I really hate to say this, and certainly you should not go by this, but whether the file is really inportant or not, it likely is lost. I have not seen anyone bring the file back from this type of problem. I hope I am wrong, sorry!

I always have the hold on.... I think the problem is that the MT lost power at some point during the encore, and shut down.  I do have a wav file that is almost 1.2 gb long on there... there has to be some way to recover that data... I have uploaded it to my server if anyone wants to take a crack at it...
-Karl

Offline busterr

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 12:12:24 PM »
Try opening the file in CDWave, and report back...

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 12:16:39 PM »
Try opening the file in CDWave, and report back...

Tried that, sorry should have posted the message... It did ask me if I wanted to adjust the header size... I tried yes, I tried no, either way I got the "no fmt descriptor" message. :( 

This is seriously seriously bumming me out... Worst part is, that a friend came and taped as well, and both of his recordings have issues....  Can you believe that?
-Karl

Offline busterr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 12:47:22 PM »
Ahh sorry, didn't know you had tried it :), I don't think I can be of any further help then...

The only times I've had success fixing header problems was with cdwave, hopefully someone else can chime in with better advice or an offer to look at the file for you, good luck though.

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 12:50:29 PM »
Thanks... this is seriously stressing me out... Even the baby jesus is crying over this one.
-Karl

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 01:04:45 PM »
As I stated before, I can give anyone a link, I have it uploaded to my server if someone wants to take a crack at it, let me know and I will pm the link...
-Karl

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 01:35:59 PM »
I also tried the CEP route... Both to no avail (got the white noise wav form).

I've seen this before, too.  In Audition/CEP, when I Open As | PCM Raw, the s/w prompts me for information.  My old version of CEP (1.5) prompts me three times:

<1>  Open File As.  Are you positive you selected the proper Sample Rate, Channels, Resolution (32bfp if you recorded 24-bit)?

<2>  Interpret Sample Format As.  Are you positive you selected the proper Sample Rate, Channels, Resolution (32bfp if you recorded 24-bit)?

<3>  PCM Raw Data (no header).  This one was the key for me.  Are you positive you selected the proper Data Formatted As value (24-bit packed Intel PCM if you recorded 24-bit)?  And did you try each of the different offset options (0, +1, +2, +3)?

For me, I didn't recover the audio until I selected the correct offset option (no idea which was correct...I just tried each one.)

I know you read the README1st and associated threads, so forgive me if you've already completed all of the above...I wasn't sure based on your OP if you'd tried each offset option (and I doni't think the original thread mentions the offset option).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 01:40:28 PM »
Brian,

I did try this, although what is the difference between the intel and motorola 24 bit?  which one should i be choosing?

-karl
-Karl

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 02:44:13 PM »
I did try this, although what is the difference between the intel and motorola 24 bit?  which one should i be choosing?

Okay, wasn't sure if you tried the different offsets or not.  Hmmm...not sure of the difference between Intel and Motorola 24-bit.  Maybe try both with each of the offset options.  If you send me the link, I'll d/l and see if I get anywhere opening with Samplitude SE.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 03:03:10 PM »
Oh man..... so I tried Intel and Motorola on each of the settings, I got to intel at +2, and it worked!!!!!

So then I go and try the same thing on the temp file on the drive, and nothing.  I end up getting down to intel at 0 and it worked!!!

So I have an almost complete recording now, I totally appreciate all the suggestions/help on this one..  you guys are the best!  Now I need to patch in a second source for the last few minute jam....

thanks a bunch!
-Karl

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 03:17:55 PM »
Oh man..... so I tried Intel and Motorola on each of the settings, I got to intel at +2, and it worked!!!!!

So then I go and try the same thing on the temp file on the drive, and nothing.  I end up getting down to intel at 0 and it worked!!!

So I have an almost complete recording now, I totally appreciate all the suggestions/help on this one..  you guys are the best!  Now I need to patch in a second source for the last few minute jam....

thanks a bunch!
This is excellent! I'm happy that the data can be recovered. I am sure you are right about the loss of power being the issue. Very cool news!!
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 03:30:56 PM »
I am still trying to figure out how it lost power.  That is not a good sign in and of itself.  Had a battery stick plugged into it, it was charging the whole show I though...
-Karl

Offline hawghunter

• Taperssection Member
  • Planet of Sound
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 08:30:26 PM »
We'll at least you got the file! The exact same thing happened to me last year or so. It was on the MT I, I still own it, and never happened again. I tried everything up to step three in Brian's post. Don't think it is on my card anymore, but I thought it transfered to HD. I'll have to try that, if I can find file82. Kind of bummed me out too, it was night one of a seven night residency.
ISO: NIRVANA :), 8/15/91 - The Roxy

930's > MMe

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com