Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT 853 cards next step up?  (Read 3842 times)

Offline ironbut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
AT 853 cards next step up?
« on: March 06, 2008, 09:43:12 PM »
For most of my recording, cards are perfect. I'm still pretty stoked about the sound I get from my 853's but I'd like to try a better mic. What do you guys consider a significant step up in stealthy cards from the AT's. I'd like the pair to be less than $1200 but if that won't get it, I'm open to pushing my budget.

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
Re: AT 853 cards next step up?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 09:45:32 PM »
Well, I for one envy your budget ;D.  Are you still primarily looking at stealth mics? 

edit: obviously i can't read^ (noting stealth in your first post) but i know people have been impressed with the MM-HLSC-1's, but others call it a sidestep as opposed to a definite upgrade..  Not to hijack, but is there an active setup within this budget that's stealthable? 
I'm pretty much in the same boat, so hope to learn from this thread also.   +T
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 09:59:36 PM by paulbaptiste »
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 02:48:01 AM »
For most of my recording, cards are perfect. I'm still pretty stoked about the sound I get from my 853's but I'd like to try a better mic. What do you guys consider a significant step up in stealthy cards from the AT's. I'd like the pair to be less than $1200 but if that won't get it, I'm open to pushing my budget.

Guessing that your AT853s are already modded for high SPLs?

In this case you either have DPA4061s (if the music you tape is acoustic/less rocky - and I note you state you're looking for cards)
or active Schoeps MK4s, however these are above your budget at the moment.

This is precisely the reason I don't want to upgrade, though I switch mics or caps around sometimes to make better use of the room acoustics. You might want to pick up hyper 853s if you don't already own a set.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 10:52:12 AM »
Neumann KM140s with active cables are another option that would be above your budget, but by less than the Schopes are.

You might also look at the Audix Micro 1290s, they are longer and maybe a bit less stealthy, and may or may not sound enough better to you to justify the cost.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 02:03:11 PM »
I know from expereince that it is hard to get better sound than the 853 without spending a decent ammount of $$$$ 

The law of diminishing returns is fully applicable here as well....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline ironbut

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 09:06:42 PM »
Thanks guys. I had the omni and hyper caps but lost them at a show last fall! I was hoping that the new DPA cards would be the ticket by now, but it sounds like the version that was released first is better suited for speech and that other versions are coming out sometime. I was just wondering if there was a stealth card that I was totally overlooking (which wouldn't be exactly a shock).

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 01:43:50 AM »
I suppose one more thing to consider would be AKG CK1X caps with active cables, or there are hacked versions of AKG CK91 capsules out there that people run off custom battery boxes without the mic bodies.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 02:13:21 AM »
My vote would be to try the Sennhesier MKE40 (cardioids).  These are something like $250 at Microphone madness, and IMO sound nicer than the AT line.  They have more detail and a very nice midrange.  I would say they sound quite a lot like the Neumann, but of course not as good, but a similar type of sound.  Oh yeah, they have a lot less bass.  That is often desireable anyway in over-bassed rooms, but if you want you can correct for some of this with EQ in post.

Take a listen to some of my sample recordings at Soundmann.com.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline ironbut

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 11:04:43 AM »
Thanks Richard, I was thinking about giving them a whirl. I've checked the yard sale and they don't last long there so even if it is more of a lateral move, everybody has different tastes and for a small loss (if I didn't like them as much as the AT's) there doesn't seem to be a good reason not to go for it.
Now, if I can just figure out a way to follow up on the above plan and actually sell the ones I don't like as much. I have 8 pairs of headphones, 5 reel to reel tape decks, 6 amps, 7 outboard Dolby B units,..

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 10:05:17 PM »
really the next step up is dpa's and then schoeps. thats me from mz-r70/giant squid omnis to mk4's/nbox.pmd620 in less than 2 years, i though iwould regret selling the 4061's but haven't missed them at all, the mk4's have a much fuller sound and seem more forgiving, with those dpa's you really had to be in the right spot. i actually prefer the hlsc's forgiveness to the dpa's and really have learned to not like the omni's to much now, a good cardioid is all you need for most situations

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 01:17:20 AM »
really the next step up is dpa's and then schoeps. thats me from mz-r70/giant squid omnis to mk4's/nbox.pmd620 in less than 2 years, i though iwould regret selling the 4061's but haven't missed them at all, the mk4's have a much fuller sound and seem more forgiving, with those dpa's you really had to be in the right spot. i actually prefer the hlsc's forgiveness to the dpa's and really have learned to not like the omni's to much now, a good cardioid is all you need for most situations

you prefer the hlsc cards over the at853(granted i should know the answer to this) but was it that noticeable a difference?  I'm in the same boat and am intersted in this thread, and thinking of going with some "big boy" mics i.e. open, but with the option of active cables.

How many options are available, with just buying caps and active cables?  Prices ect.?

Any talk of the Busman Mics getting actives in the future?
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 08:27:52 AM »

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but curious as to who does the modding for high SPLs?  And is it necessary to have the modding if you use a battery pack? 

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 01:23:56 PM »

How many options are available, with just buying caps and active cables?  Prices ect.?

Any talk of the Busman Mics getting actives in the future?

Busman mics are going for a $525 now and he is working on some actives for them.  I plan on going this route and getting rid of my SPC4's. His mics w/actives, I think, will be better than most of what you see in my sig file.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline ironbut

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 10:55:09 PM »

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but curious as to who does the modding for high SPLs?  And is it necessary to have the modding if you use a battery pack? 

Chris Church or you can buy them modded from Sound Professionals. If you need it depends on how loud the music is that you record.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com