Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: B&K/Schoeps/Neumann avail. new for $1000/pair or less???  (Read 5818 times)

Offline mikesalvo

• Trade Count: (51)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
B&K/Schoeps/Neumann avail. new for $1000/pair or less???
« on: March 13, 2008, 07:01:49 PM »
are their any of the above mentioned brands avail. new  for around $1000/pair or less new??? If so which models would you suggest in that range. I am of course firmiliar with the more popular models of each brand, but honestly have no idea what the price ranges are. I know this is surely a broad question, but I may be looking to buy a new set of mics, and I my limit is roughly $1000/pair. Im looking to buy new, onkly because I may have a hook on a deep discount from someone who owes me a favor from a local pro-audio dealer. Any suggestions would be much appreciated...

thanks as always ya'll! :)

~Mike
AKG se300b (ck/91, ck/93) > Busman T-Mod R-4

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: B&K/Schoeps/Neumann avail. new for $1000/pair or less???
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 07:05:49 PM »
you are unlikely to find anything from schoeps for $1000 a pair new or used. The neumann km183/184/185 series mics could be had for around $1k used. I can't think of anything else by them in that range that is commonly used for our purposes. DPA has mini mics that can be had for under $1k. I believe the models are 4060 and 4061.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 07:27:01 PM »
yup, the Neumann km184's can definitely be had for under a grand used, but I doubt you'll be able to find them new for less than $1000.  You should also consider a pair of Beyer Dynamics mc930 (http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,80148.0.html).  These are fixed cards (like the Neumann km184's), and compare very favorably to the km184's.  Many people on taperssection will tell you they prefer the mc930's over the km184's.  And you can definitely get a pair of mc930's for less than $1000 new.

jnorman34

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »
the DPA (formerly B&K) 4090 and 4091 (both omnis) can be had for around $1000/pr, and are quite good, though their primary application is for close-micing in the studio.  they are far more accurate for small acoustic ensemble work than the neumann km18x series.  omnis are, of course, problemmatic for most tapers who cannot get mics onto the stage.  for distant recording of live music (like most of the folks here do), hypercards seem to work best.  in your price range, i would try to not limit your options to just those 3 brands - there are many excellent reasonably priced mics out there these days.

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 07:52:20 PM »
Josephson C42 made in the good ol' USA, I don't think they get credit enough...a bit bright, much like the beloved KM184, but perfect for far field work.

http://www.josephson.com/

Offline mikesalvo

• Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 09:15:12 PM »
the DPA (formerly B&K) 4090 and 4091 (both omnis) can be had for around $1000/pr, and are quite good, though their primary application is for close-micing in the studio.  they are far more accurate for small acoustic ensemble work than the neumann km18x series.  omnis are, of course, problemmatic for most tapers who cannot get mics onto the stage.  for distant recording of live music (like most of the folks here do), hypercards seem to work best.  in your price range, i would try to not limit your options to just those 3 brands - there are many excellent reasonably priced mics out there these days.

Suggestions? Also, another concern of mine is being able to still use my hard ware (AT8410a mounts, t bars etc.) +t to all for their suggestions. Im still all ears for more info :) thanks!

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 09:26:08 PM »
Suggestions? Also, another concern of mine is being able to still use my hard ware (AT8410a mounts, t bars etc.) +t to all for their suggestions. Im still all ears for more info :) thanks!

Umm, two decent ones were just given to you which can be had for $1000 a pair NEW:

Beyer MC930
Josephson C42

Mate, you should start using the search function in ts.com if you are gonna blow off these suggestions.

Offline mikesalvo

• Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 09:42:46 PM »
I did use the search function, and was unable to find specific info.  I guess I wasnt using the correct criteria in my searches. Also, I wasnt blowing off anyones suggestions at all, just trying to get as much info as possible. My appologies if Ive offended anyone or wasted bandwith....

stirinthesauce

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 12:38:37 AM »
The beyer mc930 set is your best bet new.  Can be had in the 700 range. Have been noted to be sonically similar to geffell 300's and neuman km84's.  I personally prefer them over any other cardiod German mic.

Used, there are other options but your going to deal with smaller, lesser known companies.

Josephson
Violet
Earthworks
Calrec (vintage  8)  )

among others

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 12:56:02 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread Mike

Looking to do a pretty big upgrade in the not to distant future (hopefully, if i can only blind the wife).  So hope to learn from this +T

Nick
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline mikesalvo

• Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 01:41:10 AM »
The beyer mc930 set is your best bet new.  Can be had in the 700 range. Have been noted to be sonically similar to geffell 300's and neuman km84's.  I personally prefer them over any other cardiod German mic.

Used, there are other options but your going to deal with smaller, lesser known companies.

Josephson
Violet
Earthworks
Calrec (vintage  8)  )

among others

what do you suggest as far as the earthworks go??? I think right now Im def. leaving towards the beyer mc930...just curious about the earthworks though....

Offline DaveG73

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Beer and Music.
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 05:20:54 AM »
SmokinJoe recently posted a recording using Earthworks SR77 (I Think) in Kickdown, which sounded pretty nice to my ears.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,100436.0.html

I believe they are fixed Cards, but don't hold me to that.

Dave.
Always Taping Under The Influence.

I was under the assumption that as a taper, we're all geeks?  I just thought it went with the territory?

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 06:22:50 AM »
You should be able to get a couple of the Sennheiser e914 at this price, or a couple of the K6 Series (K6+ME64).

Otherwise it would be a secondhand choice.

stevetoney

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 07:42:06 AM »
I'm bullish on Beyers and 184s, but nobody has yet mentioned the tried-and-true AKG-480 series.  Probably the all-time most popular microphone on ts.com.  Available used usually at right around $1k and the best part is that they're an interchangeable capsule microphone system with a full compliment of caps to choose from...and the CK63 capsule is acknowledged by most as a Hall-Of-Famer hypercardioid capsule.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 07:45:40 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 06:58:34 PM »
I'm bullish on Beyers and 184s, but nobody has yet mentioned the tried-and-true AKG-480 series.  Probably the all-time most popular microphone on ts.com.  Available used usually at right around $1k and the best part is that they're an interchangeable capsule microphone system with a full compliment of caps to choose from...and the CK63 capsule is acknowledged by most as a Hall-Of-Famer hypercardioid capsule.

second this, aren't the 480's about a grand??  ??? 

Also, how about the MBHO 603's?

I would personally go with the 480's at this price spot.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com