Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Does MT II have same high SPL problems as MT I??  (Read 2839 times)

Offline insanescott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Does MT II have same high SPL problems as MT I??
« on: March 25, 2008, 05:03:14 AM »
I am considering purchasing a Microtrack II.  My SP-CMC-4U (terminate in 1/8th in) mics would always clip fiercely at rock shows that I would tape.  I posted about it here...

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,81513.msg1083090.html#msg1083090 

I found out it was due to the 1/8th inch input on MT not being able to handle high SPL levels.  Does Microtrack II have this same problem with its 1/8th input?  Or will I able to run my mics straight into the 1/8th in input without any worries?

Offline insanescott

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Does MT II have same high SPL problems as MT I??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 10:17:05 PM »
Anyone?

Offline kfrinkle

• Needs to get out more...
    • Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 10:22:01 PM »
whats wrong with slapping a 10 dollar attenuator cable in there?
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

Offline insanescott

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 10:24:21 PM »
Nothing is wrong with that except for that fact that my MT I is dead.  Was just curious because I am about to purchase a new unit.

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 11:29:20 PM »
On the side of the unit...do you have it set at "M" or "L"? Switch to "L" and you should have no more problems. When using the 1/8" plug-in and set to "M" it does overload the mics. I've run the mics plugged into the 1/8" plug-in and set to "L" position and have not had that problem.
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline insanescott

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 01:47:11 AM »
When my MT 1 was functional I always had it set to low, and adjusted the input volume as low as it would go and still got clipping at rock shows.  Jazz shows were fine though.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 02:54:30 AM »
No "L/M/H" switch on MT2, only continuous range with 1/8" able to handle up to -2.5 dBu at minimum gain setting.

To know how this compares to MT1 maximum look to input settings chart on MT1 review at www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htm#inputs to see -13.3 dBv maximum.

It does look like MT2 minijack input has ~10 dB more headroom so less likely needing input pad for most mics.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 03:05:07 AM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 10:12:09 AM »
I know I have similar problems.  At loud shows, setting the MT on L with volume all the way down is still sometimes not enough. But hey, slapping a variable attenuator cable on there fixes the problem.
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

Offline deviant

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a
    • RyanAdamsArchive
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 07:34:15 PM »
A friend has had similar issues running the MT I via a soundboard signal into the 1/4". I was hoping the issue would be resolved with the MT II, since I've been wanting to replace my DAT.

Anyone have luck running the MT II patched into from a board? I haven't seen any posts about it. I'm concerned about the static issue with an unbalanced source as well. Their suggestion is using balanced cables, but if the signal is unbalanced, how does that eliminate the issue?

Thanks!

Joel

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 01:08:18 AM »
Their suggestion is using balanced cables, but if the signal is unbalanced, how does that eliminate the issue?

Thanks!

Joel

MT2 doesn't seem to handle much more LINE level than MT1 with MT2 max at ~+4 dBu (minimum gain setting)

Balanced cable from unbalanced source floats MT2 common ground to NOT connect to anything but cable shield.  Instead unbalanced source common ground is wired to MT2 TRS (sleeve) -minus balanced input connection.  This should work OK for < 2 meter length cables.

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 01:26:01 AM »
I am considering purchasing a Microtrack II.  My SP-CMC-4U (terminate in 1/8th in) mics would always clip fiercely at rock shows that I would tape.  I posted about it here...

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,81513.msg1083090.html#msg1083090 

I found out it was due to the 1/8th inch input on MT not being able to handle high SPL levels.  Does Microtrack II have this same problem with its 1/8th input?  Or will I able to run my mics straight into the 1/8th in input without any worries?

What plug in power voltage does the MT provide? That's the first question you need to answer if its less then 5 volts that is the first issue that must be addressed. You should try an external battery box.. + my 4.7k mod then you should be fine.. If the MT puts out the same plug in power voltage then you can go with a 2.4k resistor mod. That will allow you to run the mics down to 4 volts with out distortion issues.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 04:09:59 PM »
Nothing is wrong with that except for that fact that my MT I is dead.  Was just curious because I am about to purchase a new unit.

If it is the battery, there have been cases of people who thought their unit was dead, only to find out that plugging it in and waiting (for some crazy long amount of time) does bring the battery back to life. Anyway, I just thought I would share that just in case.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com