Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic Stand suggestions??  (Read 5572 times)

Offline bruloup

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Mic Stand suggestions??
« on: March 25, 2008, 02:52:14 PM »
  About to get my rig (busman mics>tmod fr-2le) still need a stand and suggestions???

so excited
jackson
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HYDRA silver Shorty XLR's > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T-Mod)

Pentax K10D>FA 50 1.4>DA 18-55>Tamron AF70-300 F4-5.6>SMC A 35-70mm MAcro>Vivitar PK 2x teleconverter>Vivitar series 1 105mm macro> SMC m 28mm 3.5 wideangle>SMC M 50 1.4 Macro>FA 10-17 Fisheye>SMC M 135  3.5

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
Re: Mic Stand suggestions??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 03:35:06 PM »
Odd as it sounds you want a light stand not a mic stand... go to fleabay and look about. Manfroto stands are very good but big and heavy. Also you will need an adapter from the stand to your micbar.. come to think of it look at micsupply.com    shorter, flimsyer and cheaper stands can be had on ebay. (you'll still need an adapter)
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 06:07:30 PM »
Why are adapters needed for micbars to attach to light stands?  The people who make the micbars know that we're gonna be attaching them to light stands, right? 

Also, you should try your local camera store to see if they have light stands.  That's what I did, and it was about the same price as the ones that I saw on the internet.  I try to help local businesses whenever I can.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 08:36:22 PM »
Why are adapters needed for micbars to attach to light stands?  The people who make the micbars know that we're gonna be attaching them to light stands, right?

The light stands have 3/8" threads on them and the bars are 5/8".

I don't think the AKG and Shure folks are catering to us and our light stands. One's photographic and the other audio. We need to make them compatible and a cheap adapter does the trick.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 11:22:21 PM »
Would it be a good idea to wrap some reflective tape around the legs of your mic stand?  Or to have something like a Christmas tree skirt to wrap around the legs? 

Offline Belexes

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 08:00:35 AM »
Would it be a good idea to wrap some reflective tape around the legs of your mic stand?  Or to have something like a Christmas tree skirt to wrap around the legs? 

If you are worried about foot traffic, it's best to use gaffer tape to secure the legs to the floor and of course shock mounts used for the mics.

I use myself, bar furniture, whatever I can find as a blocker if I an a heavy traffic spot.  That Christmas tree skirt might get you some goodies under the stand.  ;D

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 09:07:18 AM »

The light stands have 3/8" threads on them and the bars are 5/8".

I don't think the AKG and Shure folks are catering to us and our light stands. One's photographic and the other audio. We need to make them compatible and a cheap adapter does the trick.

use a clamp
then you can clamp to anything

http://www.windtech.ws/clamps.html

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 11:32:03 AM »
If you are worried about foot traffic, it's best to use gaffer tape to secure the legs to the floor and of course shock mounts used for the mics.

I use myself, bar furniture, whatever I can find as a blocker if I an a heavy traffic spot.  That Christmas tree skirt might get you some goodies under the stand.  ;D

Ah, ha!  So that's what gaffer's tape is used for!  I've read a bunch of threads about suggestions for beginning tapers and all of them have mentioned to buy gaffer's tape, but they never mention why.  Now I know, and it makes a lot of sense.  Unfortunately, I've already bought this T-bar http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SP-GNA-3 and didn't know that I needed to upgrade and get the shock mount.  99% of my taping will be in small bars and I'll be able to use furniture to help block the stand, so hopefully I can make do without shock mounts for a little while. 

Quote from: darby
use a clamp
then you can clamp to anything

I don't quite understand what those clamps are for.  Wouldn't you still need a mic stand with those?

Offline Belexes

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 11:44:46 AM »

Ah, ha!  So that's what gaffer's tape is used for!  I've read a bunch of threads about suggestions for beginning tapers and all of them have mentioned to buy gaffer's tape, but they never mention why.  Now I know, and it makes a lot of sense.  Unfortunately, I've already bought this T-bar http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SP-GNA-3 and didn't know that I needed to upgrade and get the shock mount.  99% of my taping will be in small bars and I'll be able to use furniture to help block the stand, so hopefully I can make do without shock mounts for a little while.

I think for small condenser mics, shock mounts may be overkill, but they certainly don't hurt a situation.  Do some tests at home bumping into the stand and see what kind of response the recording picks up.  I have SP C4's and those are very sensitive, shock mounts a must.

Gaffer tape is a great tool, not only for the legs of the stand.  I recorded in some church pews and gaffed the base of the stand to the pew ahead of me for added support. Just stay away from duct tape.  That leaves a nasty residue. 

For clamps, you can clamp on to anything, not just a mic stand. Look in the rig photo section of this board and also do some searches and you'll see all sorts of things that people have clamped onto.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 11:46:54 AM by Belexes »

Offline darby

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 01:23:14 PM »
I use a mic stand like this with a boom like this for table top
or stage lip applications

I have 2 sizes of Bogen light stands with different heights and footprints

I have a couple of these clamps to clamp to anything

and an AKG T bar that mainly only gets used as an extender

and also a Shure A27M vertical bar with these AKG H38 shock mounts
for when I run these AKG 451EB/ck1s

« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 01:25:10 PM by darby »

Offline aegert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 01:44:29 PM »
stand:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/MF6065/

Adapter for the conversion of your t-bar to the quick adapter or light stand top:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/286147-REG/AKG_KM217_3_8_Female_to_5_8_.html

Solid Quick Adapter for light stand top to facilitate quick breakdown:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/MF6809/

Hope this helps

A
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 02:17:06 PM by aegert »
B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

The bus came by and I got on....

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 02:13:49 PM »
I use a mic stand like this with a boom like this for table top
or stage lip applications

Thanks for posting the pics.  :)  Is that just a regular vocal mic stand like bands use?  Also, what's the proper way to set-up the mic stand?  Like the picture shows, or can it be set-up with the center pole touching the ground (making a slightly smaller footprint)?

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 02:17:44 PM »
if you dont need more than 7-8 ft, i would suggest the bogen 3373.  while it wont do the job for tapers' sections, i use it everytime i go out around town to smaller gigs.  If its a festival, then i need something bigger unless i go FOB (in front of the sound board).
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline darby

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 02:28:15 PM »
the top and bottom pictures are just a basic vocal mic stand
which I have a boom arm (2nd pic) attached to
but don't use other than in the vertical position

I generally have the center post just off the floor (3rd pic)
and gaffer the 3 legs to the floor because...
as you said that gives you a smaller footprint and less stability

and like I said
I have the smaller Bogen for tight situations
but rarely need to use it over the larger one (3079)
besides we seem to clamp several pairs of mics to 1 stand
and I wouldn't want to trust the smaller Bogen to all that weight
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 02:47:10 PM by darby »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com