Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: stands for use at stage lip  (Read 3353 times)

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
stands for use at stage lip
« on: March 25, 2008, 10:56:46 PM »
What do you use for a stand at stage lip? OK, that's a fairly wide open question. In this case it is a small club, the stage is only about a foot high with another 1 1/2 foot drum riser on top of that. The monitors are set just off the stage on top of milk crates. People dance right down front. So I think I need something that doesn't use too much floor space so that maybe I could fit them between the monitors, isn't likely to get caught up in somebody's overly enthusiastic dancing and can rise to anywhere between approx. 2 feet to maybe 5 feet.

I could just get a couple of cheap generic weighted base stands but it would be nice to have something lighter for use in other situations. A small foot print is a must though.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

wklitz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: stands for use at stage lip
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 11:35:13 PM »
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/92393-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_3350_3350_Light_Stand.html

works great for onstage and stage lip at clubs.  For stage lip at theaters and such, I would just go with a regular size stand.

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 10:24:33 PM »
I have 2 different stands I've used.  Back when I had LD's I used a Atlas kick drum stand:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=242-160

I also have a Bogen 3373 stand with hacked legs that works well.

"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 10:30:06 PM »
well, i used to use a stand, and then i had it kicked (by the performer), and i wont do that again. i suggest, and will use, the clamp/flexarm setup from now on (i should have bought one a long time ago, and didnt until the DAY after my mic/stand was kicked (running blumlein @ the stage lip :( )

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 10:33:12 PM »
I have a small folding tripod kickdrum stand that max's out at 9"?, short. And another 2'->4' folding tripod.
I topped them with a thread reducer, to 3/8-16. I made thread rod extensions to fit onto that reducer. The thread rod extensions are of 3/8-16, and run from 6" -> 3'
The thread rod extensions are a lot lower profile than mic/light stands, and are very well received in/by audiences. They work great at the stagelip, and on-stage.
They work great with compact mics, but, are maybe not so great with bigger SD's, and LD's

You've just given me an idea. +T I have an "in" with this club that I record in most and can pretty much do as I please within limits. I'm thinking of getting some threaded rod and installing some threaded inserts into the edge of the stage. That way all I have to do is thread in the rods and put my mics on top when I want to run that way. I guess I'll have to add several inserts for various configurations though.

I still want to get a couple of low stands for use in other venues so other suggestions for regular stands are also appreciated.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 10:51:35 PM »
That would work great!
You might want to mount something like a t-nut (female thread set) into the stagelip, and make some special male->male thread rod extensions. You don't want trip hazards left behind, and a female t-nut will mount nearly flat and flush.
One mans mic extension is another mans impaler, or trip hazard, if left behind.
+ back to ya

That's what I was envisioning. But not a t-nut. I don't know what they call them offhand but they are made to put a threaded insert in a wall. You drill a proper sized hole, insert the fitting then tighten up a screw or bolt in it that causes a section to expand, trapping the insert. I actually put a 1/4X20 one in the bar where I usually sit. I rigged up a stand out of a monopod that now threads into the bar and holds up my CA-11 mics. But now I have a different rig as well that runs C4's.

You are right about being careful not to create a hazard though.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 09:04:42 AM »
This is what I was talking about. I don't know if they go as big as 3/8 though.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 09:21:28 AM »
The reason for using these over a t-nut is that with the relatively long threaded rod acting as a lever, it can easily pull a t-nut out of its hole. These expandable anchors ten to stay put.

BTW, I used one of these to make a threaded socket in an old tripod I bought for a couple of bucks at a flea market.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 08:18:15 PM »
those are for drywall, and i dont think you want to keep screwing and unscrewing that screw - i have always hammered those in, screwed 'em tight, unscrewed them, hung what needed to be hung, and screwed them back in. i think you might run into trouble using those hangers for a mic stand connection... ymmv
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 08:59:13 PM »
Finding some that use 3/8X16 thread seems to be the problem! I found something similar online that may work but I could only go by description, they didn't have a picture. Like I said, I have installed a 1/4X20 one in the bar and its working great! But that's lighter duty. I tried a t-nut in that spot and I could see where that would work loose easily. I'll look at them in the store though. Maybe the flange on a 3/8's one will be big enough to work out a way to fasten the fastener.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Kush

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Catch you on the flip-side!
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 10:24:42 PM »
http://www.white-lightning.com/ls1100.html

This one might fit your price-range, it fit mine.

White Lightning LS1100 Backlight Stand $24.95
AKG SE300b (CK91/CK93) or SP-LSD2 > Busman Transparency mod Tascam HD-P2

Offline heikki

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ...and i'm as honest as a jersey man can be
    • OutDated List
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 06:01:30 AM »
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/92393-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_3350_3350_Light_Stand.html

works great for onstage and stage lip at clubs.  For stage lip at theaters and such, I would just go with a regular size stand.

looks like a nice stand.

i've got a B&H gift card that i've been holding for a few months.  this might be the time to burn that.  >:D
C 480 B + CK61/63
          Edirol R-4 (Oade T-Mod x 4)

Masters on LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/heikki

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 07:09:07 AM »
http://www.white-lightning.com/ls1100.html

This one might fit your price-range, it fit mine.

White Lightning LS1100 Backlight Stand $24.95

The Bogen mentioned above has better specs but this one sure has a nice price. It also looks like the legs could be shortened (cut down) if needed.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline heikki

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ...and i'm as honest as a jersey man can be
    • OutDated List
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 02:03:04 PM »

looks like a nice stand.

i've got a B&H gift card that i've been holding for a few months.  this might be the time to burn that.  >:D

arrived today.  this thing seems pretty well-built.  now i just need to get out sometime and use it  ::)
C 480 B + CK61/63
          Edirol R-4 (Oade T-Mod x 4)

Masters on LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/heikki

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com