Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: recording a comedy show  (Read 5700 times)

Offline shotyd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
recording a comedy show
« on: May 19, 2008, 02:09:44 PM »
I am going to record a comedy show this weekend with a internal mic (i have not gotten my mic yet :) [i have Edirol R-09]). low cut off, mic gain high and AGC on like a meeting setting?? what would be the best way to record a comedy show? thanks for helping!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 02:15:38 PM by shotyd »

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: recording a comedy show
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 02:19:21 PM »
the crowd around you is going to be very loud compared to the comedian unless you can get as close as possible to one of the PA speakers.  maybe then the comedy may be almost as loud as the crowd. idid a comedy show but not trying to hide it and was surprised how loud the crowd was.  the clapping is horrible in a room with no music.

i taped lavell crawford about 2 months before he was on last comic standing.

Offline shotyd

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 02:31:14 PM »
last time I went to Irvine Improv I sat right next to the PA...so I think if I get there early enough, I can sit...or possibly request a seat right infront of the PA. and I'm going to see Wanda Sykes, so I'm sure the crowd will be very loud (?).  I'll give it a shot... >:D

Offline shotyd

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 02:45:31 PM »
the crowd around you is going to be very loud compared to the comedian unless you can get as close as possible to one of the PA speakers.  maybe then the comedy may be almost as loud as the crowd. idid a comedy show but not trying to hide it and was surprised how loud the crowd was.  the clapping is horrible in a room with no music.

i taped lavell crawford about 2 months before he was on last comic standing.
so the setting should be low cut off, mic gain high and AGC on? just want to do this right. :) i'm a newb. :):) thanks for the help!

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 03:01:20 PM »
and I'm going to see Wanda Sykes,

i thought you said you were taping a comedian.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline shotyd

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 06:57:44 PM »

isn't she one??

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 07:26:03 PM »

isn't she one??

i thought being funny was part of the comedian job description.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 08:04:48 PM »
I checked levels with John Oliver before the Mountain Goats on Friday night.   In retrospect I should definitely have recorded him, especially since he noticed me setting up and made a funny mention of it.

But my point is that its not just the crowd that will spike levels, but the performer will too, as they mumble, then yell, then speak quietly for a while, then laugh, etc.  Its really impossible to get decent levels without clipping at some points, even if you're right up at the stacks.

Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 08:10:05 PM »
You are so right. I actually did a matrix of lavell crawford(my frind was sound man) and between him trying to constantly get the vocal oevel right and the crowd going from quiet to laughing, it was all over the place.

Offline cyfan

• Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 11:14:35 PM »
I taped Doug Stanhope a couple times. While crowd volume is an issue, I had more concerns with the drunken morons all trying to tumble into my mic stand all night. You think wooks at a music show are trouble ...

tim
Superlux HK8 > Edirol UA-5 > JB3
Multi-tracker: Fostex VF 160 EX

Offline gtalife

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 01:26:57 AM »
....funny, my buddy FOH engineer taped Doug Stanhope a few weeks ago, i stopped by to retreive some gear, and there he is using it,
(like he normally does)!. Audio came out well from a "On The Fly Matrix" via SP C4's, UA-5, and the feed from the board. He's pretty funny.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 01:35:48 AM »
Unlike most music recordings, comedy shows will probably sound fine if you use a limiter. Though if you have enough headroom to record without the limiter, you can probably get better results by limiting the audio afterwards in your workstation software. I suggest using a look-ahead limiter like WAVES L1 or the freeware equivalent - Yohng's W1.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline shotyd

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 03:12:28 AM »
I checked levels with John Oliver before the Mountain Goats on Friday night.   In retrospect I should definitely have recorded him, especially since he noticed me setting up and made a funny mention of it.

But my point is that its not just the crowd that will spike levels, but the performer will too, as they mumble, then yell, then speak quietly for a while, then laugh, etc.  Its really impossible to get decent levels without clipping at some points, even if you're right up at the stacks.

so since the mumbleing and yelling and all, I should turn the AGC on then? or should I put the volume to a normal level in a regular speaking voice?

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 01:56:25 AM »
so since the mumbleing and yelling and all, I should turn the AGC on then? or should I put the volume to a normal level in a regular speaking voice?
AGC is not magic. It takes time to react. I suggest recording with no limiter, so that even the loudest peaks do not clip. You can use a software limiter AFTERWARDS, to process the sound and reduce the dynamic range.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline shotyd

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 02:33:35 AM »
AGC is not magic. It takes time to react. I suggest recording with no limiter, so that even the loudest peaks do not clip. You can use a software limiter AFTERWARDS, to process the sound and reduce the dynamic range.
people i asked have said to turn the agc on...so I'll give that one a shot. if that don't work...lesson learned.  :P

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.197 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com