Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Differences in sound quality?  (Read 5500 times)

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Re: Differences in sound quality?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 08:49:13 AM »

I can't find the original Edirol R-09 in your link, which makes it difficult to compare the noise levels to the HR ...

OK try these...

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,105893.msg1417987.html#msg1417987

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,105893.msg1418443.html#msg1418443

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 11:01:59 AM »
I record with the Tascam DR-1 and think its the most overlooked recorder on the market.  Maybe because of the cheap price?  Could be.  Well, I think its a fantastic recorder. 

As I should be using my recorder through line-in, I wonder how the DR1 behaves there. Is there any DR1 frequency response curve anywhere? Pity the DR1 was not tested at Sonicstudios yet. The Tascam would probably be at the top of my list if I could see some FR, even if it only goes to 48KHz oversampling. 

The new R09HR is a great sounding unit too.  That said, I wouldn't put the Olympus in the same sentence as these 2 recorders, unless the footprint of the recorder is the most important feature.  The Olympus' sound just doesn't stack up to the Tascam or the Edirol. 

On what basis are you stating this? From the curves I have seen both the Edirol and the Olympus are quite similar in frequency response. The Olympus is even more quiet. The Tascam I can't guess because I haven't seen any curve, but the others you can compare.

Perhaps you are referring to the mic preamps, but once again it would be interesting having some sort of FR to do some comparison. Curves do not have a direct relationship with how a unit may sound, but it's a start.   

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 11:28:01 AM »
Guysonic showed that the LS-10's bass response steps down pretty sharply below 200 Hz.
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,106251.0.html

Because the bass roll-off is so dramatic, it's likely that Olympus did this by design.
This effect reduces handling noise and wind noise, important features in a pocket
dictation machine, but not so desirable in a music recorder.

To my ear, the LS-10 sounds good, but then I don't record bass-heavy shows.
In my experience, the bass in the R-09HR is a little prominent, giving it a "warm"
sound.  The DR-1 is somewhere in between, with a more neutral sound.

Flintstone

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 11:36:37 AM »
Guysonic showed that the LS-10's bass response steps down pretty sharply below 200 Hz.
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,106251.0.html

Because the bass roll-off is so dramatic, it's likely that Olympus did this by design.
This effect reduces handling noise and wind noise, important features in a pocket
dictation machine, but not so desirable in a music recorder.

To my ear, the LS-10 sounds good, but then I don't record bass-heavy shows.
In my experience, the bass in the R-09HR is a little prominent, giving it a "warm"
sound.  The DR-1 is somewhere in between, with a more neutral sound.

Please note that I started my comment on the Olympus line-in response, not the mic preamp response, which seems to have that roll-off. Is there any other curve showing that roll-off on the line input too?

After seeing the spikes in the Zoom H4 frequency response, which are absent on both the Edirol and the Olympus line-in, I would very much like to see a DR1 curve. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com