Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Differences in sound quality?  (Read 5501 times)

Offline Mr.Scully

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Queen Concerts
Differences in sound quality?
« on: July 10, 2008, 05:40:31 PM »
Guys,

I need some new equipment and although I have read all those reviews and forum posts here, I still can't decide. I know that Olympus LS-10 can last many hours on two batteries, I know the resulting recording apparently lacks low frequencies (when the mic input is used), I know Edirol R-09 is used by plenty of tapers here but it's said to be hissy etc. etc. I know all the features, measures, opinions of owners etc. What I need to know is:

Is there any difference in sound quality if I make three recordings of the same concert with the same mic but with a different recorder - Olympus LS-10 vs. Tascam DR-1 vs. Edirol R-09 HR? Forget all the other features, I'm asking only about the SOUND QUALITY.

I want to record rock or metal or punk concerts (mainly Queen but also Kiss, Stones, etc., whatever band play in our small country :-) As for mics, I do have a Sony ECM-719 or something like that but I want to get a new one (around $100), probably either SP-BMC-12 from Sound Professionals or CA-11 from Church Audio (that would be my other question - which of them sounds better for rock gigs - but I guess that should be asked in a different forum). With a battery module, of course (= connected to the recorder via the line-in input). I won't be using the internal mic of the recorder.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, thanks...

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Differences in sound quality?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 06:01:26 PM »
Well since you will be the one listening to the shows you record, maybe you can hop over to archive.org and listen to the live music archive on there. I think the important factor for sound quality would be the microphones that you put in front of your recorder. If you take a 09hr and the ls10 with the same exact mics and record the same exact thing, I don't think there will be very many people who will be able to tell the difference. I certainly wouldn't. I just like the Edirol R-09hr more so that is what I am going to get unless there is a bunch of bad reviews in the next few weeks.

Remember, your the one who will be using the recorder so you're the one who will make the decision.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 07:25:36 PM »
Well since you will be the one listening to the shows you record, maybe you can hop over to archive.org and listen to the live music archive on there. I think the important factor for sound quality would be the microphones that you put in front of your recorder. If you take a 09hr and the ls10 with the same exact mics and record the same exact thing, I don't think there will be very many people who will be able to tell the difference. I certainly wouldn't. I just like the Edirol R-09hr more so that is what I am going to get unless there is a bunch of bad reviews in the next few weeks.

Remember, your the one who will be using the recorder so you're the one who will make the decision.

^^^^^^^^^^
What he said ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Mr.Scully

• Taperssection Regular
    • Queen Concerts
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 04:23:53 AM »
Thanks guys. So am I right in saying that all those complaints about low level of volume (Olympus) or lack of bass (Olympus) or hiss (Edirol) are only when using the internal mics and I shouldn't be worried about them?

That's gonna be a difficult decision ;) The Edirol looks beautiful, the Olympus has all the features one can think of and the Tascam is cheaper (and the brand has a very good reputation among audio experts).

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 04:56:32 AM »
Using the internal mics, to my ear the LS-10 is light on bass, the R-09HR emphasizes bass (a "warm" effect), and the DR-1 is closer to neutral. 

Flintstone

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 01:56:03 PM »
Thanks guys. So am I right in saying that all those complaints about low level of volume (Olympus) or lack of bass (Olympus) or hiss (Edirol) are only when using the internal mics and I shouldn't be worried about them?

That's gonna be a difficult decision ;) The Edirol looks beautiful, the Olympus has all the features one can think of and the Tascam is cheaper (and the brand has a very good reputation among audio experts).

Honest: I don't know the other two, but I'm in love my Edirol R-09HR.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 03:47:44 PM »
Guys,

I want to record rock or metal or punk concerts (mainly Queen but also Kiss, Stones, etc., whatever band play in our small country :-) As for mics, I do have a Sony ECM-719 or something like that but I want to get a new one (around $100), probably either SP-BMC-12 from Sound Professionals or CA-11 from Church Audio (that would be my other question - which of them sounds better for rock gigs - but I guess that should be asked in a different forum). With a battery module, of course (= connected to the recorder via the line-in input). I won't be using the internal mic of the recorder.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, thanks...

Regarding the mics, I have the SP (I forget the model, but they were AT853's modified to 1/8 inch jack) and I also have Church mics that I put inside a croakie. (again I never knew the model, but here is the link that shows them for sale: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,72254.0.html) I think they both sound really nice, but In my use (see my signature below), the Church mic can handle much more SPL's and my recordings are at lower levels, so that may be better for very loud shows.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 10:34:02 AM »
Is there any difference in sound quality if I make three recordings of the same concert with the same mic but with a different recorder - Olympus LS-10 vs. Tascam DR-1 vs. Edirol R-09 HR? Forget all the other features, I'm asking only about the SOUND QUALITY.

I want to record rock or metal or punk concerts (mainly Queen but also Kiss, Stones, etc., whatever band play in our small country :-) As for mics, I do have a Sony ECM-719 or something like that but I want to get a new one (around $100), probably either SP-BMC-12 from Sound Professionals or CA-11 from Church Audio (that would be my other question - which of them sounds better for rock gigs - but I guess that should be asked in a different forum). With a battery module, of course (= connected to the recorder via the line-in input).

Since you're not using any external pre, you'll have to take into account how much gain each of the recorders will be able to give you.
I haven't seen many successful reports using the internal gain on LS-10 or DR-1 (yet) whereas the R-09(HR) has a proven track record.

Beware that you will need even more gain than these recorders provide if you ever tape acoustic/low-key gigs, but maybe that's not an issue for you.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Mr.Scully

• Taperssection Regular
    • Queen Concerts
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 10:38:21 AM »

I want to record rock or metal or punk concerts (mainly Queen but also Kiss, Stones, etc., whatever band play in our small country :-) As for mics, I do have a Sony ECM-719 or something like that but I want to get a new one (around $100), probably either SP-BMC-12 from Sound Professionals or CA-11 from Church Audio (that would be my other question - which of them sounds better for rock gigs - but I guess that should be asked in a different forum). With a battery module, of course (= connected to the recorder via the line-in input).

Since you're not using any external pre, you'll have to take into account how much gain each of the recorders will be able to give you.
I haven't seen many successful reports using the internal gain on LS-10 or DR-1 (yet) whereas the R-09(HR) has a proven track record.

Beware that you will need even more gain than these recorders provide if you ever tape acoustic/low-key gigs, but maybe that's not an issue for you.

Thanks - I agree with you about the gain issue; I have already decided I'd buy the Edirol R-09 HR. Now I need to find a good deal, the cheapest I found on ebay was like $325 + around $30 postage to EU.

(I don't think I will ever tape an acoustic gig ;))

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 12:39:24 PM »
I record with the Tascam DR-1 and think its the most overlooked recorder on the market.  Maybe because of the cheap price?  Could be.  Well, I think its a fantastic recorder.  The new R09HR is a great sounding unit too.  That said, I wouldn't put the Olympus in the same sentence as these 2 recorders, unless the footprint of the recorder is the most important feature.  The Olympus' sound just doesn't stack up to the Tascam or the Edirol. 

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 07:17:12 PM »

Just a note, the Edirol R09HR improves on the internal mic-pre hiss situation significantly. It's now (IMO) one of the quieter < $500 recorders when using its mic-in.

Examples here...

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-noise.html#samples

digifish.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 01:04:48 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline mantovibe

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 01:27:43 PM »
Fwiw, I had the Sony D50, the Edirol R09HR (used to have old R09) and the DR-1 all at the same time for 2 weeks.
The Sony is overall the better built and best machine, but, with the internal mics, the one I like the most sound wise is the DR-1. I totally love it and I will probably keep both, Sony and Tascam.

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 01:17:24 PM »
Mantovibe,

Thanks for the report!  Do you have any samples you can share that show the
differences between the recorders?

Incidentally, Tascam is sweetening the deal with a $15 mail in rebate, valid
through the end of August.
http://www.tascam.com/rebate.php

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 01:23:28 PM »
Spyder9,

What battery life do you get when running the DR-1?  A
spare Tascam BP-L2 rechargeable battery costs about $50!
At least you can remove the battery in the field, unlike
the Microtrack II.

edit: I found the BP-L2 for about $34 from a couple of
online merchants I'd never heard of.  That's better, but
still kinda pricy.

2nd edit:  I found a post where Spyder9 reports a 7 hour
life for the rechargeable battery, recording at 24/44.1
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,97231.msg1403868.html#msg1403868

Note that when the DR-1 reaches a file size of 2 GB it
saves the file and stops.  There is no "seamless" continuation
of recording.  You've got to press stop and record to keep
going.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 07:35:52 PM by flintstone »

Offline oivindi

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 07:37:19 AM »

Just a note, the Edirol R09HR improves on the internal mic-pre hiss situation significantly. It's now (IMO) one of the quieter < $500 recorders when using its mic-in.

Examples here...

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-noise.html#samples

digifish.

I can't find the original Edirol R-09 in your link, which makes it difficult to compare the noise levels to the HR ...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com