Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How best avoid SBE when sets and disks don't add up?  (Read 2265 times)

Offline slowburn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
How best avoid SBE when sets and disks don't add up?
« on: July 22, 2008, 03:15:53 PM »
So I ran into a problem for the first time (don't do many acts with set breaks). I have a master from a show with 2 sets. I had set 1 as one file and set 2 as another. I opened both in cdwave and split each independently. When I then put all tracks (from both sets) into traders little helper,with align on sector boundaries using fix selected, the last track of set 1 gets 700 bytes to be carried over for sector alignment. Each track on the second set gets the same.

All tracks get a successfully encoded and at the end there is a no errors occured.

I think I understand what happened. The last song on set 1 wasn't the exact length it needed to be to end on the correct frame.

I did do fade in/outs at both sets. To further complicate set 2 is to long to fit on a cd but if you move a couple of songs from set 2 to end of cd 1 the whole show will fit on 2 cd.

I'ld prefer not to put the 2 sets in different folders.

1. Should I care or just post as is. Will there be SBE's or not burning disks from these flacs?
2. Does these 'bytes to be carried over' matter at all?
3. Would there be a problem for anyone burning set 1 + 3 tracks from set 2 to one cd?
4. Is there an easier way to avoid this than to make one file of both sets and split from that one file instead?

Thanks for any advice. My only working cd burner is acting up so I can't really burn to check anything myself right now.

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: How best avoid SBE when sets and disks don't add up?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 03:23:24 PM »
we were just talking about this.  before you track it out.  track it into 3 tracks and then don't save or either delete track 1 and 2. this allows also to trim any dead space but more importantly it will eliminate any SBE's from being on the files at the beginning or end of the track.  my experience has been that a lot of the recorders we use create SBE's when record is pushed to start and end the file. i could be wrong. when i don't do this i get a SBE at the very end every time. i would also only do one set at a time.

Offline jkbyram

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 03:25:51 PM »
So I ran into a problem for the first time (don't do many acts with set breaks). I have a master from a show with 2 sets. I had set 1 as one file and set 2 as another. I opened both in cdwave and split each independently. When I then put all tracks (from both sets) into traders little helper,with align on sector boundaries using fix selected, the last track of set 1 gets 700 bytes to be carried over for sector alignment. Each track on the second set gets the same.

All tracks get a successfully encoded and at the end there is a no errors occured.

I think I understand what happened. The last song on set 1 wasn't the exact length it needed to be to end on the correct frame.

I did do fade in/outs at both sets. To further complicate set 2 is to long to fit on a cd but if you move a couple of songs from set 2 to end of cd 1 the whole show will fit on 2 cd.

I'ld prefer not to put the 2 sets in different folders.

1. Should I care or just post as is. Will there be SBE's or not burning disks from these flacs?
2. Does these 'bytes to be carried over' matter at all?
3. Would there be a problem for anyone burning set 1 + 3 tracks from set 2 to one cd?
4. Is there an easier way to avoid this than to make one file of both sets and split from that one file instead?

Thanks for any advice. My only working cd burner is acting up so I can't really burn to check anything myself right now.

track them seperatley and trim each set with cdwave first and i bet they go away.  you wouldn't need to use align on sector boundries

Offline slowburn

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 03:32:56 PM »
we were just talking about this.  before you track it out.  track it into 3 tracks and then don't save or either delete track 1 and 2. this allows also to trim any dead space but more importantly it will eliminate any SBE's from being on the files at the beginning or end of the track.  my experience has been that a lot of the recorders we use create SBE's when record is pushed to start and end the file. i could be wrong. when i don't do this i get a SBE at the very end every time. i would also only do one set at a time.

Not sure I follow. Do you mean make a very short first and last tracks of set 1 that can be deleted without missing anything and the rest will then later be easily dividable into tracks with the correct length? You say track 1 and 2 so maybe I misunderstand.

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 03:37:50 PM »

Not sure I follow. Do you mean make a very short first and last tracks of set 1 that can be deleted without missing anything and the rest will then later be easily dividable into tracks with the correct length?

yes.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline slowburn

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 03:43:43 PM »

Not sure I follow. Do you mean make a very short first and last tracks of set 1 that can be deleted without missing anything and the rest will then later be easily dividable into tracks with the correct length?

yes.

Thanks, not sure why I couldn't think of that before. Guess I was just surprised running into the problem. And in the case of this show where I already tracked and split the waves once I can just split out a very short part of the last track of set 1 and I should be fine without redoing everything.

Offline jkbyram

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 03:46:29 PM »

yes.

Thanks, not sure why I couldn't think of that before. Guess I was just surprised running into the problem. And in the case of this show where I already tracked and split the waves once I can just split out a very short part of the last track of set 1 and I should be fine without redoing everything.

yes, i would just open the track with the sbe at the end of it and track out as 2 tracks and delete the tiny end track.  it should take away your SBE when you look at the analysis.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 11:14:37 PM »

If someone is burning the disc II with part of the first  and part of the second set, and they put some blank space between them, it should not make any difference if the end of the first set has an SBE since it will go from there to more silence.

Nice to fix it if you can, but I doubt it really matters since your second set begins with a fade in.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com