Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie - few questions  (Read 4396 times)

Offline skr213

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Newbie - few questions
« on: August 11, 2008, 07:11:52 PM »
Hi,

I've been enjoying the music y'all have been taping since first enjoying a GD show in '85 - so thanks very much for being out here in taperland.  Apologies if this question has been asked a thousand times already.  I looked a little at the forum questions, but didn't find the answer to my particular situation.

I'm interested in recording for very cheap.  What I really want to do is be able to go to a show and listen to it in the future, regardless of whether it's high enough quality for others to want to listen to.  I'm wondering if getting a plain digital voice recorder is worthwhile at all (what about one of the fairly "high quality" ones for $150).  My guess is that the volume will tend to be too high at shows for a plain digital voice recorder, is that the case?  Are there other options for under $200 that don't include mics, cables, multiple pieces, etc.?  I just want one piece of equipment - tape it to my hat and walk around recording a festival show, or small local venue, or things like that. 

Thanks very much for any info...

~stephen :)

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Newbie - few questions
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 07:18:56 PM »
Welcome.
Check your wallet at the door.

I'm sure others will have opinions, but you might want to look at the Edirol R09.
Built in mic, easy to use. Might be a bit more than what you want to spend, though.
With this hobby, it always is.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 07:19:36 PM »
Welcome!

Your situation sounds like many others and therefore you should be able to find answers to your questions by reading the forum.

I suggest you go to the yard sale section and look at/for the iriver h120 or the JB3. Very inexpensive units for high quality recordings.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 07:23:21 PM »
Welcome!

Your situation sounds like many others and therefore you should be able to find answers to your questions by reading the forum.

I suggest you go to the yard sale section and look at/for the iriver h120 or the JB3. Very inexpensive units for high quality recordings.
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,108267.0.html
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

stevetoney

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 08:04:16 AM »
He asked for something without having to deal with mics.  The iriver and jb3 suggested earlier don't meet his request...no mics. 

The R-09 is $300 or more, although used you MAYBE will find one in the yard sale used for $250, but you better look often and you better be quick.

The Church Audio unit, while being a GREAT entry level rig (and I concur you should consider something like this) is double what you specified.

The thing that's gonna meet your specifications best is hands down a Zoom H2...they're less than $200 and have a nice sound.  I've seen people recording with a Zoom at shows before, but the shows that I recall seeing it were not really very loud.  You should probably go to the zoom site and maybe there are some forums where you can read about recording loud shows or maybe ask about others expeience.  I've heard the Zoom before and for that money, it performs very well in terms of sound quality...but I'd be concerned about the loud concert question going in.

If you can save a little bit more, then I definitely agree about the R-09.  It's got surprisingly nice quality sound for such a small device.  There are two built in mics.  But there again, make sure about loud shows.  This very well may be a problem for you.   Of course, if you plan to only attend smaller shows or acoustic shows, then maybe it's not an issue. 

FWIW, of the rigs suggested above, including the Zoom H2, I'd try really hard to come up with the extra scratch for that Church Audio unit.

Honestly, the threshold for recording rigs on this site is at least double, or a little bit more, than what you are willing to spend.  So, you probably aren't gonna get too many informed opinions on this site.  Honestly, we're snobs wihtout intending to be. That's what causes us to answer your questions by giving you answers that don't meet your criteria!!!   ;) 

My two cents.

PS:  Please trust me with what I'm about to say.  It happens not, 95% of the time, but 99.X% of the time, which is pretty close to 100%. 

The reality of this question that you've asked is that NONE of us have enough money to get into live music recording when we started out.  The other reality is that it DOES...NOT...MATTER, how simple your rig is, once you start, you get an itch that needs to be scratched.  What 99.X percent of us discover is that...that $200 you're thinking about spending now...you'd just have been better off holding off buying bottom of the barrel and get something that's gonna AT LEAST satisfy your needs for some amount of time in the future.  The fact is, Zoom H2's have limited aftermarket appeal.  However, any of the other gear are items that will retain their value.  WHEN (not if) you decide to upgrade (I KNOW, I KNOW, you aren't planning to do more than casual taping with a Zoom...yeah right...that's what we ALL said)...WHEN you decide to upgrade, you will be able to sell any of this gear for the same amount that you bought it for.  The Zoom...meh...doubt it.

The other giveaway that you WILL be hooked is that you declared yourself a Deadhead, so it's pretty obvious you've been around for a looong time.  Just the fact that you've sought out and found, then emailed this list...I hate to tell you, but you're toast, brother!   ;D  ;D  In a good way...trust me, it's a GREAT hobby and you won't regret it if you do end up finding an extra $200 to spend, but you might regret it if all you spend is $200.

Oh, one other thing I forgot to add...you really don't need to spend $1000 or more to get good sounding recordings these days.  Mics, recorders, cables, everything you need to get FINE recordings can be had for even less than $500...but $200 is probably just pushing it too much.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 08:27:12 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline skr213

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 01:08:56 PM »
Thanks very much everyone, especially tonedeaf!!  Maybe I'll up the ante a little, but I'm sticking with the one-piece of equipment requirement.  I've seen y'all lugging around a friggin suitcase of stuff - and I want no part of it!   ;)

thanks,
stephen

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 01:28:06 PM »
Do you tape shows that have other tapers there? Because Tonedeaf is right you will not be happy with any all in one. If you do you may want to invest in a decent recorder and just patch.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

stevetoney

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 03:59:24 PM »
Do you tape shows that have other tapers there? Because Tonedeaf is right you will not be happy with any all in one. If you do you may want to invest in a decent recorder and just patch.

I think that's good advice too.  OK, I understand what you're saying about lugging stuff around.  You're right, that's something that can definitely detract from the live experience and enjoyment of a show.  I personally don't let it, but def understand.

That said, once again the church audio setup is not that way.  It's TEENY TINY.  You simply take the mics out and take the alligator clips and clip them onto your hat...your lapel...your earlobes, nostrils, nipples...whatever is handy!

Takes oh maybe 3 minutes to setup and tear down.  Nobody notices it when you're using it (unless of course the mics are attached to your nipples!) and they sound GREAT!  Here's an example of a moe show I was just listening to...

http://www.archive.org/details/moe2008-04-11.ca-14.flac16

Note that for this recording, the fact that the end device is an R-09 instead of say an Iriver isn't a whole lot relevant to the final sound.  Yeah, 24-bit recordings with an R-09 may sound subtle-ly nicer, but not enough for your purposes at this point.

stevetoney

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 04:14:58 PM »
Ya know...really after thinking about it...Krispy's advice about buying a decent recorder and patching really is the best advice...and meets your criteria except you'll probably need another $100 or so.  You might look for that R-09 we spoke of earlier.  It's $300, maybe a little less used.  You'll EASILY find people with high dollar rigs that you can get a patch from...or if there's no mics flying then you can use the internal mics like you were saying at the beginning.  The Zoom H2 that I mentioned isn't gonna work for you that way.

The other nice thing about this idea is that if you ever do decide to jump in deeper, then you already have an R-09 to build from.

Obviously, you'll need the patch cable...or maybe a couple of cables to cover the variety of jacks you may encounter in the field.  Of course, on your R-09 end would be a 1/8 inch mini male plug.  On the other end...you would probably want hmmm...first option would be a single male TRS cable for going headphone out > R-09 in.  You might want to also have a TRS (1/4 inch headphone jack) to 1/8 mini adapter in case the output of the patch is a 1/8 mini instead of TRS.  The second option would be a stereo pair of RCAs.  I'd think that should get you most situations, except for a SBD patch...in that case you might also need a stereo XLR pair.

Offline skr213

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 05:47:12 PM »
ok, a little confused.  Which is the Church Audio set up?  I've looked online at the Edirol R-09, and although it's a bit more than i'm looking to spend, that might be the way to go.  Am I understanding right that with the R-09 I can record on my own with the built-in mics, but also patch in to others if/when the opportunity arises?  As for patching, then I'd have to hang out with all you taper geeks!  ;)  I would probably like to patch at some shows, but i'd want the freedom of my own set up much of the time. 

thanks again for all your generous help!
~stephen

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 05:57:57 PM »
ok, a little confused.  Which is the Church Audio set up?  I've looked online at the Edirol R-09, and although it's a bit more than i'm looking to spend, that might be the way to go.  Am I understanding right that with the R-09 I can record on my own with the built-in mics, but also patch in to others if/when the opportunity arises?  As for patching, then I'd have to hang out with all you taper geeks!  ;)  I would probably like to patch at some shows, but i'd want the freedom of my own set up much of the time. 

~stephen

Stephen,

The church audio setup he is talking about could be this, with the pre-amp:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,108267.0.html

CA-11 are cardioid mics that would plug into the r09. I don't own the 09 but I wouldn't count on it giving VERY GREAT recordings for concerts or shows but I think it could probably pull of VERY GOOD to GOOD recordings depending on how you're recording it. There is probably a used R09 in the yard sale for a pretty good price since a lot of people are opting in for the R09HR now days.
What kind of music are you interested in recording? Patching with taper geeks is a good option but it may make your wallet lighter and lighter each show.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline skr213

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 06:47:41 PM »
The types of shows i go to are all over the place.  i'm a musical schizophrenic - hippy stuff, loud punk/industrial, straight rock, electronica, jazz, metal, acoustic, etc.  My ipod looks like the music industry exploded all over it.  So, i need some flexibility in what i'm recording with, but i understand that i can't have it all and not spend a bundle.  at this point, i'll go with the low cash option and understand that some of the louder shows or really quiet shows may not come out all that great.

Offline ScotK

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 07:19:24 PM »
Hi SKR...

My first Dead show was in '85, too.  And just blocks away from my house at the time, too!  I was very
happy a few years ago to discover archive.org and find a fine recording of this show as well!

I recently started the recording hobby, too and am in the middle of transitioning from my first
round of equipment to my second, so yeah, if you'll like it (and you will), you'll go in deeper.
I don't regret my first round of equipment, though -it made some nice recordings and really
gave me some experience to figure out what I wanted (although I'm still learning that as well).

It's gotten to the point that I can't imagine going to a show now and NOT recording it. It's really
pretty easy to get a decent recording, although there's always more to do/learn to get the really
great ones.

So, good luck and welcome!

scot

stevetoney

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 02:32:38 AM »

~stephen

Sorry for confusing you Stephen.  I can see now how/why my response threw you off.  BTW, I'm currently in Slovenia working on a job assignment, so I'm 6 hrs out of phase or more with most on this list...so I didn't read your followup question 'till this morning.

Anyway, yes I started discussing and was referring to the Church Audio unit that rowjimmytour had provided a link to early on in this thread.  It's the same link that someone else provided one or two posts up from this one.  The link to that moe show that I provided was made with the same gear, I think, with the exception of the recording device. 

Some of the responses addressed several things that you've asked about, but maybe not directly, so I'll try.

You asked...
Am I understanding right that with the R-09 I can record on my own with the built-in mics, but also patch in to others if/when the opportunity arises?

My response...
Yes that's exactly correct.  When you want to record with the internal mics, there is a setting in the R-09 menu for using the internal mics.  If you want to use external mics, you change that setting to use 'Line In'.  Then what you do is use your patch cables to connect between the output of someone elses rig (1/8 inch mini, TRS, stereo RCA, or stereo XLR connectors) to the Line In jack on the R-09 (which is a 1/8 inch mini).  In my last response, I provided you with the various cable configurations that you will probably encounter in the field in order to be able to patch to the outputs of the various recorders that people use.  Bring your own cables though because, for example, it's not gonna be very likely that I'll have anything to meet your needs on location since I've usually only equipped myself with cables that I need for my rig.

Regarding the quality of sound you'll get out of the internal mics of the R-09...I have no idea.  I know that I recorded some fairly loud Phish from my stereo as a test when I had my R-09 and I was VERY surprised how good it sounded.  I'm not gonna pretend though.  I wouldn't go in expecting too much out of the internal mics of the R-09 in a live music setting...and I KNOW you'd get better results from a low price setup like the Church Audio gear that's already been linked.  BUT like I said earlier...buy the R-09 first and check it out.  Record a show or two and play around with the settings.  See if it satisfies you (it won't) and go from there.  Since you already have the R-09, you can build from there and contact Chris Church (of church audio) and have him sell you some mics and a preamp...or start watching the yard sale.

BTW, you mentioned that you'd looked at the R-09 on the web.  Don't be confused...there is a new version of the R-09 which is called the R-09HR.  Now, if it were ME, I'd buy the R-09HR.  There are other forums here to explain why.  However, since there are LOTS and LOTS of R-09 users on this list and many are making the switch to the R-09HR, all you need to do is stick around the Yard Sale for awhile and an R-09 will show up for $50 to $100 less than retail price. 

Further, nobody sells shit on the Yard Sale because if they do, it would be the last time they'd ever sell anything on the Yard Sale.  So, you can trust the TS.com yard sale.  We're a pretty ruthless bunch when it comes to one member taking advantage of another!

You said...
As for patching, then I'd have to hang out with all you taper geeks!  ;) 

My response...
Well, you have to suffer a little in order to get the goods.  Ha!  Actually, I'm biased, but we have a nice little community here and once you start to get to know people in your area that are also tapers, you'll start enjoying shows even more because you'll often show up at the same shows...so you don't necessarily always need to know that your friends are gonna be there because you can many times count on a taper bud being present!  It's cool.

The thing I wanted to mention is that we all stick together.  Once you have your patch setup, there's no reason you have to stand around babysitting your rig.  Nobody's walking off with it as long as one or two tapers are hanging with the stuff.  Even then, I don't think I've ever heard about stuff getting stolen.  The biggest reason we hang with the stuff is to keep drunks from tripping over it and spilling drinks on our stuff. 

Usually when I give out a patch to someone, I'll see them maybe twice during the show (even setbreaks) when they come back to their recorder to check levels.

You said...
I would probably like to patch at some shows, but i'd want the freedom of my own set up much of the time. 

My response...
Naturally. 

OTOH, tapers are generous in giving patches...all you have to do is ask and 99% of the time the answer is 'sure!'...so if you have the option of patching into someone's $6000 rig that has a set of DPA or schoeps microphones that are gonna give you near perfect fidelity sound with a HUGE soundstage, why would you want to record something that's duct taped to your hat, will be hard to listen to later because the sound won't be all that great, and that you'll hear the stereo image change every time you move your head???  (sorry about that, the taper snob in me just came out a little bit  :P)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 05:21:45 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline skr213

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 01:18:29 PM »
Awesome.  Thanks again to everyone - tonedeaf, you are a gentleman.  Thanks very much for all your advice!!!! 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.224 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com