Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: clipping question  (Read 2409 times)

Offline skotdee

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
clipping question
« on: September 01, 2008, 03:33:35 PM »
OK I ran a little to hot on a recording from a SBD patch, and there is some clipping. It doesn't constantly ride at or above 0db by any means, but in the loudest parts, particularly horn shrieks, Im peaking around .5db-.9db, with the most extreme few peaks around 1.5db. The equipment/lineage used is SBD>UA-5 (Oade T+)>JB3, at obviously 16 bit. To my ears, the recording sounds fine, quite nice actually, but I was wondering what the general consensus on that much clipping is. Is this a bad thing? Also, is the solution as simple as reducing the recording 1.5 db across the board? I have heard recently about running a limiter, but have no idea how to do so. I have adobe audition, as well as wavelab, could anyone give me a few pointers on what I should do to fine tune this recording?

Thanks!

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: clipping question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 04:03:11 PM »
What specifically do you mean about peaks riding above 0 dB? How are you able to see that?

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 04:10:49 PM »
Sony vegas shows how far above 0 your db level is peaking into the red. I think thats what your asking?

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 05:05:48 PM »
Ah. Well, any such display has to be based on some assumptions about the specific D/A conversion system that you're going to use--and there are considerable differences among converters in exactly the respects that determine the headroom you will have in a D/A. Both the digital filtering and the analog output circuitry are large variables.

I wouldn't treat that display as any kind of absolute--it really can't be that. I'd think of it more as projecting what could happen under one particular set of circumstances and assumptions.

--best regards

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 10:43:33 AM »
Thanks for the input DSatz, while Im still not sure I understand your thoughts on this, I think I've figured out a solution. Im not sure what you mean by D/A conversion system. Im not going digital to analog here, as I already went analog to digital when I recorded the show out of the SBD via UA-5.  :-\  Also not clear on your last sentence? The levels are the what they are, and this recording definitely clips, ie; goes into the red, as evident from 3 different sound apps I've run it through. Again, though, just barely. What good is a level meter in a sound app if its not accurate?

Now, my fix. In Audition I found the "hard limiter" and it worked great. Just set my threshold at -.2db, with no boost, and let it compress/limit anything above -.2db. I've read a post where Skalinder discourages using that as the compression can degrade sound quality, but for this it did not at all. If I understand correctly it only compresses the frequencies above my set threshold, and the rest of the wave is left alone. At any rate, this cleaned up my recording perfectly and it sounds GREAT! Just wanted to pass along my results in case anyone else is faced with a similar problem.

Thanks again!

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 07:22:40 PM »
skotdee, let me try to explain what I meant.

Almost everyone is familiar with the VU meter--it has a scale with levels marked from -20 up through 0 dB, and then you can go 3 dB above which is "in the red." That corresponds to classic analog transmission and recording media, where 0 VU wasn't a brick-wall limit. In systems of that kind, to maximize your signal-to-noise ratio, occasionally you could (and even should) let the extreme peak signals go briefly "into the red"--but the needle was never supposed to hover or stay there, or hit the "pin" (mechanical stop at the extreme), or else the distortion might very well become audible.

Digital audio levels operate on a fundamentally different principle. For example if I ask you to tell me the highest two-digit number in decimal, clearly that is 99, and there's no possible way of bargaining with that fact. Add one more and you've definitely exceeded the range of two-digit decimal integers.

Digital audio levels are like that--they have a set number of bits allocated for the sample values, and if you go one beyond the limit, the system no longer has any valid way of recording that value in the number of bits that it has, so it has already begun to distort. The farther you try to exceed the limit, the more the distortion becomes. There's no "red zone" in the sense of a transitional zone in which brief peaks are OK, in other words. And in a strict sense there would also be no such thing as digital overload, since the highest possible sample value simply is whatever it is; no sample value greater than that can possibly be present in the bitstream because there's no way to write it in the number of bits you have (just as you can't write 100 with only two decimal digits).

So, when your software is showing "overloads" it can only be inferring them on the basis of a succession of some number of samples that are not in themselves overloads, but which are at the maximum value for the available number of bits. For many professional digital audio equipment the usual threshold for indicating an overload has been three or more consecutive full-scale values. (Actually the Red Book CD audio standard imposes an additional limit, but I'll leave that out unless someone specifically wants to know about it.)

Now, if I recall correctly what the heck we're talking about, someone referred to a graphical reconstruction of a waveform from digital samples, showing overloads between the samples. That is entirely possible, but all such displays must be based on certain assumptions about the way in which the signal will be recovered (converted from digital to analog) because to put it mildly, not all D/A converters handle such signals the same way. One big issue is that the digital filters used in modern D/A converters have some digital gain which is not necessarily unity; as a result, many of them can even overload occasionally even if NO sample values reach digital full scale. Each such filter has its own "worst case" (nightmare scenario) succession of sample values which may push it as much as 5 - 6 dB over the edge.

The analog circuitry attached to the digital circuitry is another matter; sometimes there's not enough headroom there. But for now I'm speaking strictly of the digital hardware in the particular converter, and how it responds to perfectly valid (though statistically very unlikely) trains of sample values. That's why I said that this all depends on the D/A that's chosen, either for actual analog output or as the model which a given graphical display in software will emulate.

--best regards
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 07:32:19 PM by DSatz »

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 09:22:56 AM »
 ??? whoa.... I mean entirely no offense here, and please don't take this the wrong way but all that is WAAAAAY over my head. I was just looking for a simple solution to repair minor clipping on one of my recordings. Obviously this is way more complicated than I thought. Or is it? My original recording pushed the VU meter lights all the way over, or "in the red". I applied a limiter, limiting the levels at -.2, now my recording sounds great. In the future I will set my levels a tad bit lower when Im recording and all should be well...

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 10:32:38 AM »
skotdee, I think your end result just proved the point Dsatz was making. If your original recording had actually gone into a digital "over" state, the resulting distortions to the digital information could not be removed simply by adding a hard limit afterwards in software. The digital overload distortion would be compressed slightly, but it would still be clearly audible.

In your original post, you explained what you were seeing in your software (you mentioned Audition and Wavelab, but did not specify which was showing the clips) with regards to measured clipping, and yet you also stated that your recording sounded fine to your ears.

Here is your simple solution. Indications of clipping in software do not mean clipping actually occured, and just because it shows that way is not a cause for concern. I have seen that myself on recordings that when played back on CD (on my CDRW700 that has level display) there are no "overs" at all. Does this explain it better?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 10:36:44 AM by DATBRAD »
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 10:54:38 AM »
Gotcha DATBRAD, that definitely helps make sense of it all, and to clarify, I certainly wasn't trying to brush off DSatz response, just stating it was a little greek to me! I apologize if I came off as disregarding his VERY detailed response, and truly appreciate the help from both you and him.

Regarding the software, yes, I was using wavelab & audition, both of which showed it in the red, as well as sony vegas, which actually gives a positive number into the red, which I read to be the "amount" into the red it was going. Also, if you zoom all the way into the peak of the waveform thats going "over", it clearly shows the "chopped" top, or where the wav reaches the edge I assume to be 0 db and cuts off flat. Isn't that a clip?

Again, thanks for your help and I apologize again if I seemed to brush off the comments...

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 11:07:49 AM »
Regarding the software, yes, I was using wavelab & audition, both of which showed it in the red, as well as sony vegas, which actually gives a positive number into the red, which I read to be the "amount" into the red it was going. Also, if you zoom all the way into the peak of the waveform thats going "over", it clearly shows the "chopped" top, or where the wav reaches the edge I assume to be 0 db and cuts off flat. Isn't that a clip?

yes, where the peaks of the waveform is chopped off and flat, that's clipping at 0dB.  obviously, the actual analog waveform didn't look like that, but the digital system used to store the data ran out of digits to store the info.  you maxed out the signal at 0dB and the digital system then has no way to accurately record the signal.  What DSatz was explaining was that when sony vegas gives you a positive number, it's just a guess from the software where the peak of the chopped off waveform would be.  Different softwares and different D/A converters use different algorithms to reconstruct the analog waveform from the digital recording, so the number that sony vegas gives you as positive dB is not an absolute, but just a guess.  the actual shape of the waveform is lost forever, because the recording is clipped.

Indications of clipping in software do not mean clipping actually occured, and just because it shows that way is not a cause for concern

the above statement from DATBRAD is wrong.  If the software is showing clipping, you're signal exceeded 0dB, and the digital recording got clipped.  It happened, and there's no good way to fix it.  That said, it sounds like you didn't have major clipping for extended periods of time.  a short drum beat (or something similar) that sends the signal over 0dB most definitely causes clipping, but its probably not very audible on most systems if it isn't a sustained clip.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 11:09:47 AM by JasonSobel »

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 11:28:43 AM »
Indications of clipping in software do not mean clipping actually occured, and just because it shows that way is not a cause for concern

the above statement from DATBRAD is wrong.  If the software is showing clipping, you're signal exceeded 0dB, and the digital recording got clipped.  It happened, and there's no good way to fix it.  That said, it sounds like you didn't have major clipping for extended periods of time.  a short drum beat (or something similar) that sends the signal over 0dB most definitely causes clipping, but its probably not very audible on most systems if it isn't a sustained clip.

Yes, you are correct as I did not state what I actually meant, and based on my choice of words taken at face, I can see they were technically wrong. What I meant was that indications of clipping in software does not mean that audible digital distortion to a human ear was a result. I base this opinion on personal experience and observation, accepting also that a textbook definition of clipping would be that it either was, or was not, based on the software's display.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com