Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Smoothing Over Levels?  (Read 3247 times)

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Smoothing Over Levels?
« on: September 02, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »
Breaking in the R44 this weekend, still working otu some kinks.... I've got a 6db jump in the gain occuring at two separate intervals....next time I need to learn to make any gain adjustments between songs....is there a way in Wavelab I can smooth the levels over?  In other words, I did a gain change in Wavelab at the spot where the gain was made on the deck to compensate, but the recoridng seems to jump down than up again...anyway to take that section and smooth over the total gain so it's less noticeable?
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Smoothing Over Levels?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 06:55:16 PM »
Not sure if Wavelab supports automation, but the best way to get rid of the 6dB jump is to automate the volume/fader for that track with an opposite 6dB drop.  I do this with the pencil tool (in Digital Performer), and draw an automation line by making points to define the ramp expressing the change in volume at the instant on the recording where you made the adjustment.

With the R-4 Pro and similar 6dB gain step adjustments, I have just zoomed in almost all the way to a point where the 'ramp' I draw is relatively instantaneous.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 07:16:23 PM »
I used to do this in Audition after making 6 dB jumps up or down with the V3 on occasion.  I found I had to zoom WAY in to find the precise point at which the jump occurred.  If you made a +6 dB adjustment while recording, and applied amplification to the waveform prior and up to the gain change, and <a> the recording drops down and then back up, you need to extend the gain change further forward in time;  and <b> the recording amps up then back down, you need to draw the gain change back in time as you've overlapped with the gain change implemented during recording.  Not sure that describes it very well, but...there it is.

Once you have the adjustment made precisely at the time of the gain change, you may still have artifacts as a result.  IME, one way to minimize or reduce the artifacts:  apply the post production gain change to the zero crossing nearest the original gain change.

If you've made gradual gain changes rather than stepped, I've used a volume envelope to apply a gradual post production gain change to resolve the problem.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 11:20:10 AM »
I had a similar issue from a Radiators show a couple of weeks ago recorded from the soundboard.  All of a sudden the levels went up during the 3rd song at which time I had to turn down the V3 gain by 1 full step or 5dB.  There was a noticeable bump at that point in the recording where the levels were brought down; the bump was like a soft click.  I normalized the levels up from that point on and ended up with relatively consistent levels throughout, but the bump remained.  To get rid of the bump, I tried Audition Restoration.Light Restore, and it removed the bump nicely!  Was pretty psyched about that.   

/Ken
retired

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com