Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic In vs Line In  (Read 2290 times)

Offline thespangleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Mic In vs Line In
« on: September 09, 2008, 03:34:30 PM »
Hi all,

I have an Edirol R-09 and SP-CMC-8 cards, together with a battery box. I always tape line in on the R-09. Anyway, recently I taped Madonna at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium and I ran mic in by mistake. I didn't realise until after the show and I thought the recording would be awful. However, when I got home and listened to the recording it turned out really well, one of the best recordings I have made.
I have always thought and read on this site that line in was the way to go when using a battery box. I guess my question is should I continue to use mic in for future recordings or revert back to line in.

Thanks guys.
Sound Pro's AT-943 Cards > SP-SPSB-8 > Edirol R-09

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mic In vs Line In
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 03:36:24 PM »
Line in. There's less noise with that input. 
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline lordbelial

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 04:02:43 PM »
My choice is always line in. Anyway, I'd love to hear the sample if you can.
Actual Gear:

stealth  - AT943 (c,o,sc,h) > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Ultrastealth  - DPA 4061 > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Open - BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Segue Dogstars > Marantz PMD671 busman t-mod

Playback: PC > M-Audio Fast Track Pro > KRK RP6 actives

My shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tapemaniac
Member of  Busman Audio team

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 04:25:46 PM »
I have always thought and read on this site that line in was the way to go when using a battery box. I guess my question is should I continue to use mic in for future recordings or revert back to line in.

It depends on how much gain you need.  If you need more gain, use mic-in.  If your line-in jack breaks do the same.  I had one of the first R-09 line-in jack failures a few years back and switched to using the mic-in for a few months until I could send it in to Roland for repair.  I just cut back on the gain a bit on both the recorder and preamp and I don't hear any extra noise on those recordings, many of quiet performances.  I'd use whichever input puts you closer to the center of the available gain adjustment on the R-09 (13-17 range).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline NewTaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
When you say the 13 - 17 range do you mean the INPUT level when setting the buttons on the side ?

Thanks,
NT

It depends on how much gain you need.  If you need more gain, use mic-in.  If your line-in jack breaks do the same.  I had one of the first R-09 line-in jack failures a few years back and switched to using the mic-in for a few months until I could send it in to Roland for repair.  I just cut back on the gain a bit on both the recorder and preamp and I don't hear any extra noise on those recordings, many of quiet performances.  I'd use whichever input puts you closer to the center of the available gain adjustment on the R-09 (13-17 range).

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 06:46:25 PM »
Yes.
That's what I shoot for.  I set the external preamp gain beforehand and I'm usually close enough that I don't need to adjust anything, but if I was off far enough on my guess I'll make a gain adjustment on the R-09 from that middle of the road setting of 14 or so and end up closer to 10 or 20.  I just try to avoid the extreme settings below 10 and above 20, but if I needed to use those settings to get levels right I would. (well, except 0 which = mute)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
My line jack is broken, and I use mic-in all the time.  Great results, just watch your input gain.  IME, the mic-in runs about 8dB hotter than the line-in.  YMMV.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline thespangleman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 09:00:20 AM »
Interesting replies, thanks guys. Even though I used the mic input, I still had the recording level on the R-09 set to 27! Having said that, it did have the gain set to low and use low sensitivity modded mics. Here is a short sample.
Sound Pro's AT-943 Cards > SP-SPSB-8 > Edirol R-09

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 09:23:26 AM »
Interesting replies, thanks guys. Even though I used the mic input, I still had the recording level on the R-09 set to 27! Having said that, it did have the gain set to low and use low sensitivity modded mics. Here is a short sample.

The low sens mod on the CMC-8s significantly reduces the output of the mics, acting as an attenuator, so what you are saying is exactly what should be happening.
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com