Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Data Recovery - TSKB  (Read 2291 times)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Data Recovery - TSKB
« on: September 30, 2008, 07:40:40 PM »
Have any of you had a hard drive in for data recovery?  My WD "My Book" bit it big time and I need to send it off for recovery.  Who are the good guys in this game??       >:D

Thanks.       8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
Re: Data Recovery - TSKB
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 09:15:02 PM »
Have any of you had a hard drive in for data recovery?  My WD "My Book" bit it big time and I need to send it off for recovery.  Who are the good guys in this game??       >:D

Thanks.       8)
Data recovery ranges in price from $150 per HOUR TO $1500 per HOUR.... Are you sure the data is worth that much? If so http://www.datarecoverylabs.com/ is one of the best in the world. Or you can try software like system mechanic.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 08:54:38 AM »
There are no "good guys" in the data recovery business.

Try the freezer trick first.  There are a few other methods that might get it to spin up, but chances are 50/50 at best.

Hopefully you have everything on that drive backed up elsewhere.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 03:24:12 PM »

Thanks.       8)

Damn, I have two of those drives.  :-\

But...sometimes it's an issue with the power supply, and not an actual mechanical issue with the drive. Does it start up? If not, you could try to make it an internal slave, and see if your computer recognizes it. Mostly that's a Maxtor issue though.
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline boojum

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 10:20:29 PM »
TNJazz, no I did not have the data backed up.  Yes, I am buying a 1TB drive to back up everything in the future.  It has all my recordings on it.  How much is it worth?  I dunno, when you go to the vet with your sick pet, how much is your pet worth?

A place in FL will do it for $995 max.  I have some copies of some of the stuff, and there are MP3's of some stuff out there I can get back, but I really want all of it back.  You all know how I feel as you feel about the same about the stuff you record.

I do not think it is a "My Book" problem as WD is solid.  I think it is all the times my bonehead dogs ran into it and knocked it over.  As soon as I can get the grand together off it goes, with a blank 500GB drive to put the recovered data onto.  I called every place recommended by WD.  None are cheap.  DriveSavers says it could go to $2400.  Yikes.  True it is: "It is not if you are going to have an HD crash but when."
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 01:21:26 AM »

Try the freezer trick first. 

+1

I've done it on a suggestion and its worked on 2 different drives for me.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 04:51:55 PM »

Sorry to hear your troubles, but I bet you wished you spent "hours and hours" backing up to a more reliable media. Boy, how attitudes change in 5 days time. :P  Losing data sucks any way you look at it.

I believe there are on-line backup services which will store your data for you at a reasonable fee.  Screw the CDR's.  Life is too short to be burning those things for hours and hours.

I have a more humble view of what I have recorded.  I take all reasonable effort to preserve the stuff.  If I lose it, oh well.  Nothing lasts forever.  I have not lost anything I have recorded, yet.

Cheers

I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline boojum

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 08:06:07 PM »

Sorry to hear your troubles, but I bet you wished you spent "hours and hours" backing up to a more reliable media. Boy, how attitudes change in 5 days time. :P  Losing data sucks any way you look at it.

I believe there are on-line backup services which will store your data for you at a reasonable fee.  Screw the CDR's.  Life is too short to be burning those things for hours and hours.

I have a more humble view of what I have recorded.  I take all reasonable effort to preserve the stuff.  If I lose it, oh well.  Nothing lasts forever.  I have not lost anything I have recorded, yet.

Cheers

No, my attitude has not changed.  I do not see CD's as a reliable way of backing up large amounts of data.  On-line or RAID or just copying the whole drive or directory to a backup HD is way more practical to my way of thinking.  If I lose the data, oh well, I lose the data.  Whatever I can recover is good.  Life's a bitch.  Someday you get the bear; some days the bear gets you.

Cheers

Added later: I have about 350 GB of music on that HD.  Conservatively that would be 440 CD's worth of data.  That is a lot of burning.  Backed up to CD's that would be nearly 100, still a lot of burning.  For large amounts of data CD's and DVD's are not practical for me.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 08:18:53 PM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »

Cheers

No, my attitude has not changed.  I do not see CD's as a reliable way of backing up large amounts of data.  On-line or RAID or just copying the whole drive or directory to a backup HD is way more practical to my way of thinking.  If I lose the data, oh well, I lose the data.  Whatever I can recover is good.  Life's a bitch.  Someday you get the bear; some days the bear gets you.

Cheers

Added later: I have about 350 GB of music on that HD.  Conservatively that would be 440 CD's worth of data.  That is a lot of burning.  Backed up to CD's that would be nearly 100, still a lot of burning.  For large amounts of data CD's and DVD's are not practical for me.

Lately my approach to this has been two keep two copies of the data on two separate drives. Keep one put away in a safe place and use the other one.

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline boojum

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 12:44:53 AM »
^^^^  That is my plan for the future.  I just have to hand the od one to thr data recovery folks.  That will be when I have an extra $1,000.    8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com