Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R09HR VS Olympus LS-10  (Read 7116 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
R09HR VS Olympus LS-10
« on: October 01, 2008, 08:35:32 PM »
R09HR vs Olympus LS-10 any thoughts? If you could get just one what one would you get? And why?

Chris
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 09:19:16 PM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
Re: R09HR VS Olympus LS-10
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 09:03:45 PM »
You might get more clicks if the Edirol Model number was correct as:
   R09HR (R zero nine H R)

;D ;)

Offline javertim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 09:28:37 PM »
I was very close to getting the Olympus until I heard some comparison recordings somewhere around here.  In those, the Olympus sounded a lot more tinny and less "open" than the Edirol.  Therefore, I went with the latter and have absolutely loved it from day one.  I may eventually buy the Olympus, too, just to see what it's like, but for now I'm perfectly content with the Edirol. :)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 09:36:40 PM »
I was very close to getting the Olympus until I heard some comparison recordings somewhere around here.  In those, the Olympus sounded a lot more tinny and less "open" than the Edirol.  Therefore, I went with the latter and have absolutely loved it from day one.  I may eventually buy the Olympus, too, just to see what it's like, but for now I'm perfectly content with the Edirol. :)

The published specs seem to indicate they have both got relatively flat frequency response. But again I have not hear the LS-10 the one thing that gets me on the side of the LS-10 is the price $259 vrs $330 for the R09HR

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 09:37:21 PM »
You might get more clicks if the Edirol Model number was correct as:
   R09HR (R zero nine H R)

;D ;)

That's what happens when you have a hot soldering iron in one hand and your typing with the other :)

Chris

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 09:42:10 PM »
I am 99% sure the LS-10 Team thread has links to comparisons recordings, I know I have seen it compared to other decks here on TS

dorrcoq

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 10:58:23 PM »
For what it is worth, I don't think I have ever downloaded a show recorded on an LS-10, so there must not be a lot of people choosing it.  Lots of 09's and 09HR's, though.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 02:44:54 AM »
I went for the Olympus LS-10 - it's excellent.

My short-list was the same as yours, though (except I had the PCM-D50 on it as well).

I eventually went for the LS-10 because it felt perfect in the hand, is instinctive to operate and is the size of a mobile 'phone that is small enough to fit in your pocket and can have with you all the time.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 04:20:46 AM »
For what it is worth, I don't think I have ever downloaded a show recorded on an LS-10, so there must not be a lot of people choosing it.  Lots of 09's and 09HR's, though.
Here is a LS-10 SP-CMC-8 recording with 2 samples:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=212223

The strange LS-10-bass-roll-off does NOT occur on LINE-IN.
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 02:30:10 PM »

Excellent point  ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 02:36:46 PM »
I went for the Olympus LS-10 - it's excellent.

My short-list was the same as yours, though (except I had the PCM-D50 on it as well).

I eventually went for the LS-10 because it felt perfect in the hand, is instinctive to operate and is the size of a mobile 'phone that is small enough to fit in your pocket and can have with you all the time.

Jeez... now I want to buy one, for the reasons you mention. I'll have my wife call you when she sees the bill... ;D
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 02:43:31 PM »
the one thing that gets me on the side of the LS-10 is the price $259 vrs $330 for the R09HR

Where are you seeing that price of $259 for the LS-10?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 03:44:46 PM »
Compuplus.com is selling the LS-10 for $269 plus $15 shipping.  I see the R-09HR for $320 with $8 shipping from Buy.com.

I have purchased equipment from this dealer in the past, and had no problems.  I doubt that they are factory- authorized, so you might want to ask about that before ordering.  It could affect your warranty.

I think the LS-10 has the best ergonomics of any small recorder, bar none.  It's an excellent design.  And you can record WAV files for 10 hours or more on 2 AAs.  Also worth noting is that the LS-10 can play and record WMA format as well as WAV and MP3.

The LS-10 includes several useful accessories.  Standard equipment includes 2 GB of memory built in, a padded case, a tripod socket, a pair of foam windscreens, a wrist strap, and a copy of Cubase LE4 audio editing software.  You have to buy an AC adapter separately.  Olympus says it plans to offer a wireless remote control for the LS-10, but it's not available yet.

Guysonic's tests documented that the LS-10 has a distinct bass step down below 200 hz.  The R-09HR has a bass reduction below 200 Hz, but not so pronounced.  The step down is like a low cut filter you can't turn off.  This helps subdue wind noise and handling noise.  The reduced bass is an issue if you're recording Wyclef Jean or ocean surf, but I don't notice it with acoustic music, speech, and ambient sounds. 

The Edirol R-09HR package includes an infra-red wireless remote control.  The remote works from a distance up to 25 feet or so.  The infra-red receiver is on the top of the R-09HR, so you have to place it so it's horizontal and facing toward you to use the remote.  I think this makes the remote more useful during playback than for recording.

The R-09HR also includes an AC adapter, a desktop stand, Cakewalk Pyro Audio LE audio editing software, and a 512 mb secure digital media card.

If you want to mount the R-09HR on a tripod or boom pole you need to purchase the OP-R09HR-C case with tripod socket.  This $55 accessory includes a small desktop tripod, too.   The OP-R09WS foam windscreen costs about $30.

Both recorders benefit from a more protective fuzzy windscreen if you're outside in the breeze.  The Rode mic people make a model called the "Dead Kitten" which fits most small recorders.  It's $25 from Sweetwater.com.

Flintstone

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 12:57:01 AM »
As someone who doesn't own either, but who has contemplated both, it seems to me it boils down to the Edirol having the slight edge in audio quality and the LS having the edge on form factor and ergonomics/usability (tripod mount is nice touch too, pair that with a clamp and you've got a pretty portable rig, lol). There are other, more minor, distinctions of course, but it seems like that is the general consensus when reviewing a lot of the comments on TS at least. Personally, I'd go for the LS if I had a decent main rig too.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 02:44:04 AM »
mp3 sample: Steve Lukather speaking about TOTO

VERY LOW NOISE with sp-cmc-8 cardioids + bbox + line-in on the LS-10
12 12 The Demise of Toto.mp3 - 2.63MB
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 02:46:29 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com