Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DAT Digital transfer question for DAT newb  (Read 2544 times)

Offline treydaman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
DAT Digital transfer question for DAT newb
« on: October 06, 2008, 01:54:11 PM »
Got a used D7 from ebay and was wondering how to do a digital transfer to my pc?
I assume the digital transfer is better then the analog transfer using the headphone jack to my soundcard.
thanks for any help.

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DAT Digital transfer question for DAT newb
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 02:11:35 PM »
Yes, a digital transfer to your PC is FAR superior to any analog transfer from a D7 through the 1/8" mini jack. Are you looking to transfer old DATs, or is this your first entry into portable recording? The reason I ask is that for relatively low cost, palm sized wave file recorders will do almost everything that D7 can, without the extra cost/hassles of purchasing blank tapes, and allow high speed USB transfers to any PC or Mac.

If you are transfering some buddy's old DATs, this recorder should work for you for that purpose if it's in good shape. My biggest worry about a D7 is that it is at least 12 years old, since the Sony replaced it with the D8 around '96 or so.

But, if you absolutely need to use the D7 DAT recorder:

1. You need to have a digital soundcard on your PC with an SPDIF coax (RCA) input.

2. You need to find either an Oade or Pro-digital modified Sony 7 pin to SPDIF cable. (these can be found here periodically on the Yard Sale section.

Good luck !!!

AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline treydaman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 02:21:17 PM »
I have the sony POC-DA12 cable,can that be plugged into a digital in on a soundcard?

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 02:34:52 PM »
I have the sony POC-DA12 cable,can that be plugged into a digital in on a soundcard?

I am doing transfers right now with: Sony M1 > POC-DA12 cable > Optical In of Creative SB X-Fi Elite Pro

Works like a charm. 
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 02:45:33 PM »

If you already have a digital soundcard, and if it has optical connections, you are all set. If only coax(RCA), then you simply have to get a Hosa CO2 optical>coax converter, which are not very expensive.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline treydaman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 04:47:26 PM »
So could this sound card work, a cheeper option.
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10061575&catid=

Half way down in the features under External Connectors it says  "1 Digital Optical (SPDIF) Input".
Is this what I need?

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 04:58:30 PM »
So could this sound card work, a cheeper option.
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10061575&catid=

Half way down in the features under External Connectors it says  "1 Digital Optical (SPDIF) Input".
Is this what I need?

I'm not sure if this is a concern anymore, but I do know that some soundcards in the past would resample your stuff automatically.  Others were not Bit-Perfect. 

I had a Zoltrix Nightengale that I could never get to work correctly.  It ended up that it was much easier for me to go DAT > HD Recorder > PC, than the DAT > soundcard > PC.

Good luck!

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com