Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Unable to power Microtech Gefell m300's w/ W+ UA-5?  (Read 2090 times)

Offline mgtaper

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
Unable to power Microtech Gefell m300's w/ W+ UA-5?
« on: October 12, 2008, 11:39:51 PM »
This may may seem kind of a "newbie"-ish  question, but I'll ask anyway. I am unable to power my new Microtech Gefell m300's with my W+ UA-5 (Kind Kables - Chamelion Ultra's for cables). However, I am able to power a pair of Rode NT5's using the same set-up.

I am also using Core Sound's Mic2496 pre-amp/ad which has no issue powering the Microtech Gefell's or the NT5's.

I thought 48 volt phantom power was fairly universal.

Are 'new' Microtech Gefell m300's incompatible with the W+ UA-5?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mics: Microtech Gefell m310's, DPA 4023's, DPA 4661's, Line Audio CM4's, AKG 460's w/CK61 caps, Busman bsc-1 k1,k2,k3 & k4, Busman modded nak 300's, stock nak 300's cp1, cp2 & cp4, Rode nt5's w/MJE -384k Roadster caps 
Cables: Kind Kables, Gak Cables and DarkTrain Silvers
Pres: Sound Devices MixPre 10 II, Sound Devices MixPre 3 II, Zoom F6, PMD 661, Apogee Mini-me,  Edirol UA-5 BM2P+ mod, Mic2496
Bit Buckets:  HP IPAQ 2795H,  MicroTrack II(x2),  PMD 661

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
Re: Unable to power Microtech Gefell m300's w/ W+ UA-5?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 11:56:07 PM »
can't answer your question, but +t for using kind kables.
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 12:09:23 AM »
This may may seem kind of a "newbie"-ish  question, but I'll ask anyway. I am unable to power my new Microtech Gefell m300's with my W+ UA-5 (Kind Kables - Chamelion Ultra's for cables). However, I am able to power a pair of Rode NT5's using the same set-up.

I am also using Core Sound's Mic2496 pre-amp/ad which has no issue powering the Microtech Gefell's or the NT5's.

I thought 48 volt phantom power was fairly universal.

Are 'new' Microtech Gefell m300's incompatible with the W+ UA-5?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are ya sure the 48 volt was on on the UA5 (red light shining)? The light can be hard to see in day light some times or can be accidentally bumped and turned off. Also check your power supply and try it w/ wall mart to make sure its getting full power to the UA5. Good luck!!
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline lino

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 05:50:39 AM »
I m not familiar with the Chamelion Ultra's but you need to use cables with a core thickness of minimum 0,24mm2 ,
also from what I know about the older MTG preamps is that they do not work with each and every input preamp (probably due to current supply problem)
this "problem" might also apply to your M300`s
so make sure you have decent cables and b)try out the mics through an external Phantom power supply and/or through an other preamp to determine the problem`s source

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 08:38:54 AM »
The P48 specification requires 10 mA of current per channel.  Some microphones require the full amount of current.  Most low cost devices (especially portable ones) can't provide that much current.

One of our 2Phant dual-channel phantom power supplies will do the job, as well as our Mic249 V2 mic pre.
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 12:28:50 PM »
The P48 specification requires 10 mA of current per channel.  Some microphones require the full amount of current.  Most low cost devices (especially portable ones) can't provide that much current.

One of our 2Phant dual-channel phantom power supplies will do the job, as well as our Mic249 V2 mic pre.

A quick, easy Google search reveals the MG M300's are spec'd at only 3.3 mA current.  Unless the UA5 is malfunctioning, I doubt the issue is the UA5's ability to deliver the required current.  So disregard the suggestion for the 2Phant.  And for others needing a phantom-only device, the Denecke PS-2 offers quality P48 at a very reasonable price, $130 (without looking around for best price) v. the 2Phant's $275.

At this stage, I don't think a new preamp/ADC is an appropriate solution to the issue, so I wouldn't bother with the Mic2496 V2, either.  Besides, if you need / want a whole new pre/ADC, you have LOTS of options (including all-in-one pre/ADC/recorders) that I think are a better value.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 02:01:10 PM »

Always good to get a sales opp in when you can! ::)

FWIW, there are also plenty of other options for power besides the gear Len has mentioned.
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.195 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com