Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Device for analog/digital transfers to PC (other than soundcard and JB3)  (Read 2577 times)

Offline hobbes4444

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Need to do some cassette and DAT transfers, and lkg for something along the lines of a Microtrack that:

- can handle analog and digital signals (coax or optical)
- is preferably a flash drive (although something that works as an external HD in windows without proprietary software/interface would be OK), and
- is relatively cheap ($200-$250-ish used). 

It won't be used in a field setting, so it doesn't have to be portable.  I've read the problems with the Microtrack, so I'm lkg for something a little more reliable.  I have an Edirol R-09 for analog, and for digital a JB3, but getting the JB3 to transfer to my PC reliably can be a royal PITA.  And before you suggest a soundcard, I just learned that I probably can't use a soundcard as my PC is running XP Media Center.  M-Audio's website noted that issue with XP MCE in its FAQ for the 2496.

Does such a beast, other than a Microtrack, exist?
Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 10:30:40 AM by hobbes4444 »
DPA 4061 (unmatched HEB and stock), AT933 hypercard caps (Sound Pro), Nak 300s, chopped Nak 300s
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

Offline Datfly

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Device for analog/digital transfers to PC (other than soundcard and JB3)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 11:21:23 AM »
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep03/articles/maudioaphile.htm

This is what I use to convert my cassettes & DATs.

Datfly
Mics: Schoeps MK41's - Ass't Shure & Sennheiser for stage
Pre-Amps: Naiant Tinybox 2.2 o/t 
Cables: Nbob Actives V1
Recorders: Zoom F8nPro - F3 - H6e x 2 + Tascam DR-2d x 2
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Sony NX80 4K | Sony AX700 4K  X 5 Camcorders
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

Offline hobbes4444

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 12:08:31 PM »
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep03/articles/maudioaphile.htm

This is what I use to convert my cassettes & DATs.

Datfly

Looks cool.  They have newer versions of this box, but they also include the Windows Media Center disclaimer.  This is why I have the preference for a flash based set up.  Plus i can use an M1 and a flash based device wherever i am to do transfers and then just drop the card in my PC.  starting to think the microtrack is the way to go since the sony d50 is a little out of my price range. . .
DPA 4061 (unmatched HEB and stock), AT933 hypercard caps (Sound Pro), Nak 300s, chopped Nak 300s
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 12:26:39 PM »
The microtrack is a good way to go.  I used to use one for DAT transfers, and it seemed to me to be much more reliable doing 16 bit compared to 24 bit.  another cheap option would be an iriver running the rockbox firmware.  its a 16 bit device with an optical input.  do a search on taperssection for iriver, and I'm sure you'll find tons of info.

Offline hobbes4444

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 12:36:57 PM »
The microtrack is a good way to go.  I used to use one for DAT transfers, and it seemed to me to be much more reliable doing 16 bit compared to 24 bit.  another cheap option would be an iriver running the rockbox firmware.  its a 16 bit device with an optical input.  do a search on taperssection for iriver, and I'm sure you'll find tons of info.

Yeah, i've been reading about the iriver.  does it have to have the rockbox firmware for direct digital transfers?   Re the microtrack, any problems on 48k DATs?  does it resample, or just record at 48k?
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 01:24:48 PM »
Yeah, i've been reading about the iriver.  does it have to have the rockbox firmware for direct digital transfers?   Re the microtrack, any problems on 48k DATs?  does it resample, or just record at 48k?

I'm pretty sure that the iriver needs to have the rockbox firmware for bit-perfect digital transfers.
for the MT, it does NOT resample the digital input (at either 16 bit/24bit, or any sample rate).  So you'll be easily able to transfer 16/48 files from the CF card to your computer for software resampling (and be able to archive the 48 kHz files), or, of course, just splitting the 48 kHz files.

Offline hobbes4444

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 04:09:02 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the iriver needs to have the rockbox firmware for bit-perfect digital transfers.
for the MT, it does NOT resample the digital input (at either 16 bit/24bit, or any sample rate).  So you'll be easily able to transfer 16/48 files from the CF card to your computer for software resampling (and be able to archive the 48 kHz files), or, of course, just splitting the 48 kHz files.

Yeah, in reading a bit more on the iriver, i think you are correct.  seems like the microtrack is pretty solid in the 16/44 and 16/48 world on the digital transfers.  so, with a microsoft live 25% rebate through ebay, i think i can get a new MT2 for around $170 shipped.  might have to do that
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 04:51:22 PM »

You'd also need a converter cable (Hosa?) since it has toslink instead of coax. So I agree that MT2 is a smarter solution. Or an external sound card, there should be some with trouble-free drivers (search for "bit perfect" here on the forum...)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 07:01:45 PM by sunjan »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com