Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new marantz PMD 661  (Read 104720 times)

Offline Weirdness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
Re: new marantz PMD 661
« Reply #285 on: March 14, 2009, 11:01:22 PM »
Yes, make sure that one of the presets on the deck are set to match what you want to run your MiniMe on or I would expect that you'll get no signal or digi in unlock.  It would be much easier to set it up before hand rather than before the show you want to run for.  The menus aren't too tricky but I always prefer to have everything ready to go before hand. 

I haven't tried out mics direct in but you should be able to get away with a lower setting for a bluegrass band.  Best of luck, I'm sure you'll be fine...

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #286 on: March 15, 2009, 08:32:38 AM »
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #287 on: March 16, 2009, 11:37:47 AM »
I had a similar correspondence with Doug today as well =D, I am getting ready to order one this week.
did he mention to you how long before you would get yours?

no, he didn't say how long, but then, I didn't ask.  On the order confirmation page, it does say that "upgraded machines ship in 2 to 4 business days.  Stock machines ship in 1 to 2 business days".  So based on that, I guess I'm expecting next week sometime.  though I wonder if it will take a little longer because Doug has been busy with other stuff and might be playing catch-up a bit?  I don't really know, just speculating here.

Mine shipped 4 business days after I placed the order, and that was with a backlog for 661 mods ahead of it and right after Doug's mom passed away.  He said they were working overtime to keep up with the current demand.

in case anyone is wondering about current shipping times for oade modded decks, mine got shipped today.  I placed my order on the afternoon of the 10th (last Tuesday), and it got picked up by fedex this morning.  So that's 4 full business days, within the 2-4 business day time frame listed on the oade website.

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #288 on: March 16, 2009, 03:16:04 PM »
I had a similar correspondence with Doug today as well =D, I am getting ready to order one this week.
did he mention to you how long before you would get yours?

no, he didn't say how long, but then, I didn't ask.  On the order confirmation page, it does say that "upgraded machines ship in 2 to 4 business days.  Stock machines ship in 1 to 2 business days".  So based on that, I guess I'm expecting next week sometime.  though I wonder if it will take a little longer because Doug has been busy with other stuff and might be playing catch-up a bit?  I don't really know, just speculating here.

Mine shipped 4 business days after I placed the order, and that was with a backlog for 661 mods ahead of it and right after Doug's mom passed away.  He said they were working overtime to keep up with the current demand.

in case anyone is wondering about current shipping times for oade modded decks, mine got shipped today.  I placed my order on the afternoon of the 10th (last Tuesday), and it got picked up by fedex this morning.  So that's 4 full business days, within the 2-4 business day time frame listed on the oade website.

Thanks for the info, I am going to order mine this Thursday.
Neumann SKM184 / AKG 568EB > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

Offline Goldy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #289 on: March 17, 2009, 12:23:38 PM »
Ok, I'm still trying to trouble shoot this.

I'm using a 16 gig PNY SDHC card, class 4.  I had several problems last saturday in the field and again last night at home. I have no idea what caused it but my unit has stopped recording on several occasions. Saturday night I had the key lock on and looked down and the red record light was no longer lit. This was about 12 minutes into the show. This same thing happened a few times that night. It looked like the pre-amp was still working as there were still levels on the side but the led screen was showing nothing. Could this be an issue with my card? Also do you folks format the card before each use? Do you format the card in the unit or with your card reader?

I will shoot an e-mail to Mr. Oade and will let you know what he says. Just wondering if anyone here has had similiar issues?
Schoeps CMC6/MK4 > Oade Concert  Marantz PMD661

Offline audBall

« Reply #290 on: March 17, 2009, 01:31:04 PM »
I'm pretty sure the specs for "Class 4" cards allow enough room for data transfer with our hobby, but I do know that "Class 6" cards are usually recommended. 

Was this your first and only time out with the 661?  Any tests from home that replicate?

Offline Goldy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #291 on: March 17, 2009, 02:14:22 PM »
Same thing happened at home last night with fresh batteries.....
Schoeps CMC6/MK4 > Oade Concert  Marantz PMD661

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #292 on: March 17, 2009, 03:39:33 PM »
The last time I spoke with them, D&M Pro recomended Lexar cards for their equipment. Any other brand is said to be subject to compatability issues with their flash recorders.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #293 on: March 17, 2009, 04:08:20 PM »
The last time I spoke with them, D&M Pro recomended Lexar cards for their equipment. Any other brand is said to be subject to compatability issues with their flash recorders.

that's funny.  a week ago (Mar 10), they recommended either PNY or Sandisk to me...

Hello Jason,

End users have reported good results when using SanDisk and PNY SD or SDHC cards. Any speed should work just fine but higher speeds should yield better performance.  There are no size limitations at this time.

Feel free to contact technical support at (630) 741-0330, option 1, if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

Technical Support
D&M Professional
(630) 741-0330

Offline datbrad

« Reply #294 on: March 17, 2009, 04:41:08 PM »

that's funny.  a week ago (Mar 10), they recommended either PNY or Sandisk to me...

Hello Jason,

End users have reported good results when using SanDisk and PNY SD or SDHC cards. Any speed should work just fine but higher speeds should yield better performance.  There are no size limitations at this time.

Feel free to contact technical support at (630) 741-0330, option 1, if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

Technical Support
D&M Professional
(630) 741-0330

I guess they have changed their tune. A couple of years ago, they recommended using Lexar for the 670 and 671.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Offline audBall

« Reply #295 on: March 17, 2009, 04:47:40 PM »
I used three different Sandisk Kingston 8gb SDHC (Class 6) cards, one each night at Hampton, and they all worked fine.  I'll let you guys (and D&M) know if anything changes.

edit - typed incorrect SD card :P
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:24:51 PM by AudBall »

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #296 on: March 17, 2009, 04:49:45 PM »
well that's what is so troubling - the fact that Marantz recommended to me PNY and Sandisk, and Goldy is having problems with the 16 gig PNY SDHC card, class 4.  I ordered that exact PNY card, but just ordered an 8gig card as well, based on Goldy's problems.  my deck won't be delivered for another couple of days, but I'll be testing both those cards once it arrives.

Offline datbrad

« Reply #297 on: March 17, 2009, 04:56:37 PM »
well that's what is so troubling - the fact that Marantz recommended to me PNY and Sandisk, and Goldy is having problems with the 16 gig PNY SDHC card, class 4.  I ordered that exact PNY card, but just ordered an 8gig card as well, based on Goldy's problems.  my deck won't be delivered for another couple of days, but I'll be testing both those cards once it arrives.

I am sort of holding now, I guess. Definately looking at getting one from Doug, but now not sure about the card. I was looking at a Lexar Platinum II 16gb SDHC, but may instead go for a pair of 8gb cards.

Jason, can you let us know what you find when you test yours?

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #298 on: March 17, 2009, 05:43:17 PM »
I'm seriously thinking about picking up an Oade 661 - Has anybody tested the Kingston SDHC cards with this unit?  I have NEVER been disappointed with the Kingston cards, CF or SDHC.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 05:45:59 PM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #299 on: March 17, 2009, 06:52:45 PM »
I'm running more tests at home right now.  I want to confirm the file-saving/powering-down discrepancy.  I also received a PP-99 in the mail today.  It's currently charging but I hope to have some info on run-times with it as well (vs. internals) here soon.  The PP-99 is 4000mah, btw.

I stated before that the unit will not power down during REC PAUSE.  The same goes for RECording as well. 

regarding your external power supply, does the 661 require a particular voltage? or just the right tip? I got a 9v 5400mah external and wanted to make sure it was compatible.
I read the owners manual and this thread and didn't see anything on what it requires.
Neumann SKM184 / AKG 568EB > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com