Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new marantz PMD 661  (Read 104728 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: new marantz PMD 661
« Reply #330 on: March 21, 2009, 10:16:41 AM »
alright, here are a couple of samples (the whole show will be up on archive.org shortly, both 16 bit & 24 bit)
the only processing on these was normalizing (based on peak level), resample to 44.1, and dither to 16 bit.  Everything was done in Samplitude.

source:
(on-stage) beyerdynamic CK930 > Marantz PMD-661 w/ oade "concert mod" (@ 24 bit / 48 kHz)

"Invisible Landscape"
http://www.sendspace.com/file/2u79kh

"Berber Song"
http://www.sendspace.com/file/8fz5h6

and here's a screenshot from Samplitude, showing the minor brickwalling:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 10:29:50 AM by JasonSobel »

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #331 on: March 21, 2009, 10:54:34 AM »
Good info Jason, thanks!

I know with the ACM 671, one should run the pad on at -20 db, and run the mics fully hot (no pad). I bet if you ran your mics with no pad, and set the 661 at -18 db, you should eliminate your brickwall problem (probably check with Doug on this). I believe that the 661 has 3 different pad settings, so you can always have a lower pad setting on the deck for quieter, non-rock shows. Probably just take a bit of time to match the new deck with you existing setup.

Please keep us updated, thanks!

P.S. If you have an external battery pack plugged in, will it automatically switch to external power without a skip when the internals die, like the 671?

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #332 on: March 21, 2009, 11:01:10 AM »
I know with the ACM 671, one should run the pad on at -20 db, and run the mics fully hot (no pad). I bet if you ran your mics with no pad, and set the 661 at -18 db, you should eliminate your brickwall problem (probably check with Doug on this). I believe that the 661 has 3 different pad settings, so you can always have a lower pad setting on the deck for quieter, non-rock shows. Probably just take a bit of time to match the new deck with you existing setup.

Please keep us updated, thanks!

maybe I wasn't clear.  I did run the -18dB setting on the PMD-661.  and I did NOT use the pad on the mics.  and this was the result.  I think the beyers are more sensitive than other mics that are "typically" used, and thus I should use the pad on the mics to lower the signal before it gets to the PMD-661.

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #333 on: March 21, 2009, 11:17:03 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, very interesting! I wonder what other mics might have this issue with the 661?

Please keep us informed with your progress, most appreciated!
 :)

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #334 on: March 21, 2009, 11:29:39 AM »
here's the full 16 bit version:
http://www.archive.org/details/clubdelf2009-03-20.ck930.flac16

and the 24 bit version:
http://www.archive.org/details/clubdelf2009-03-20.ck930.flac24

and I'll reiterate, the brickwalling is very minor, and essentially is inaudible, because it only occurred for very brief moments when the snare drum was hit.  That tells me that the signal from the mics was probably only a few dB hotter than the deck could handle.  Which leads me to believe that with the -15dB pad on the mics, the signal will be fine going into the deck, and no brickwalling issues.  then, it will just be a matter of choosing the right gain setting on the PMD-661 (0, -6, -12, or -18) to get appropriate levels.

and regarding what other mics might have similar issues... most mic manufacturers publish sensitivity specs (in mV/pA).    I just took a quick look at a few "common" mics...

Neumann km184 = 15mV/Pa
Schoeps mk4/cmc6 = 13mV/Pa
Microtech Gefell m200 = 13 mV/Pa
Busman Audio BSC-1 = 9 or 10 mV/Pa
beyerdynamic CK930 = 30mV/Pa

so from this short list, it seems as though the beyers are definitely a good deal more sensitive than other mics that might be used.  Because of this, the signal coming out of the beyers would be a good deal hotter.  And because I am just barely brickwalling, I would guess that most mics could be used (without engaging the pad on the mics) with no problems of brickwalling the PMD-661.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 01:24:33 PM by JasonSobel »

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #335 on: March 21, 2009, 07:39:34 PM »
ok, I have some more testing results.

First, the battery test.  This was done using 4 energizer "max" AA batteries.  phantom power being supplied to two beyerdynamic CK930 mics (4.6mA current draw).

Because I only had one bar left on the battery power at setbreak last night, I switched to 4 new AA's for set 2.
Last night's set 2 went 80 minutes.  I was running 24/48 to a Sandisk Ultra II sdhc card.
Today, I decide to continue with these batteries to see how long it would go.
I set it up in my living room, this time running 24/96 to my 16gb PNY sdhc (class 4) card.

I just looked over, and it was dead.  the unit was off.  On the PNY card, I now have a 24/96 file that is 81 minutes.

So, for battery life with my mics, I get ~160 minutes of run time.  2 hours and 40 minutes.
That's less than I was hoping for, but not terrible considering the current draw of these mics.
Based on these results, I just ordered the Tekkeon mp3450 battery that was discussed earlier in this thread.  With 10AH at the 5v setting, that should be plenty for a regular show.  I'll do full battery testing again once I get the mp3450.

And, concurrent with the battery test was the 24/96 onto the PNY card test.  It went smoothly, with no problems.  No hiccups or anything like that.  Which I'm very pleased with.  And the file closed down with no errors when the batteries died (as expected, because it was the internal batteries).  With an external battery, I might not expect the same behavior if the plug is suddenly pulled, because the deck isn't expecting power to be lost.

But I know that at least one other person here had some issues with 24/96 onto a Class 4 card.  At this point, I see no trouble with it.  Hopefully we'll get to hear about more experiences as more people get this deck.

Offline kbergend

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #336 on: March 21, 2009, 08:36:08 PM »
You should actually get significantly longer run time with a set of good rechargeable NiMH batteries than with alkalines.  Even if the rated capacity is the same, NiMH will last longer in high drain situations due to their lower internal resistance.
Keith from NY

Gefell M200/210, AKG 481/2/3, Milab DC-196 and VM-44 Link
Darktrain cables
Grace Lunatec V3, RME Fireface UFX
Tascam DR-680, Oade Concert R-44, Oade Concert PMD661, JoeCo BlackBox

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #337 on: March 22, 2009, 08:01:32 AM »
I didn't know that.  However, the couple of times a year that I will need to use the internals, I will likely be using alkalines (because I'll be using the external battery most of the time, and I don't own a set of a AA rechargeable NiMH's).  So for me, that 2:40 run time is a good reference.  But maybe I should look into getting a set of NiMH's as well.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #338 on: March 22, 2009, 11:46:54 AM »
I get more than double the run time using nimh than good alkaline batteries.  The Sanyo 2700 Nimh runs my 660 for more than 5 hours...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #339 on: March 22, 2009, 01:18:39 PM »
Note that the PMD660 is completely different from the PMD661.
(Well, they are both made by Marantz.)  So the battery life of
660 (feeding phantom power to mics?) is not related to the 661.

The point about NiMH cells ability to keep voltage high for
longer, while the Alkaline cells' voltage slowly declines, is a
valid point. 

Flintstone

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #340 on: March 22, 2009, 01:27:36 PM »
I didn't know that.  However, the couple of times a year that I will need to use the internals, I will likely be using alkalines (because I'll be using the external battery most of the time, and I don't own a set of a AA rechargeable NiMH's).  So for me, that 2:40 run time is a good reference.  But maybe I should look into getting a set of NiMH's as well.
or, for those couple of times a year, you could simply go with the e2 lithiums and not have to worry at all.
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline skaggs

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #341 on: March 22, 2009, 01:58:48 PM »
Hey all,

I got a full Los Lobos (bout 2 hours) show on 4 duracell AA's, just running as a bit bucket out of an apogee minime.  Granted it was about 2 hours, and i was not using the pre-amp.  listeng to it on them right now.  Thursday i got about 30 minutes of a PBS show, as i did not know that NiMH do not hold a charge.  i charged them about 2 weeks prior.  luckily i was running my p2 as well.

how close to showtime do you all charge those things (NiMH)?

ran 24/48 into a 16 gig Sandisc Ultra II, all seems well.   

i am planning on running mk4>661 next week for steep canyon rangers.  anybody have any advice for the pad setting?  thanks

Offline TomR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #342 on: March 22, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
(Hey all,

how close to showtime do you all charge those things (NiMH)?)

Hi All

NiMHs are well known for loss of charge whilst sitting around doing nothing - for maximum charge its probably best to charge within 24 hours of use.  You might want to try Panasonic Infinium or Sanyo Eneloop brands of NiMHs.  The manufacturers claim these batteries maintain most of their charge for 12 months.  They are ideal for occasional useage of digital cameras and such like.

I use both (8 Sanyo and 4 Panasonic) but not had chance to check their claim to fame - too busy recording and having to change batteries within hours/days rather than months.  !00% use on naturerecording - I love my 661.

Cheers
TomR
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 03:20:25 AM by TomR »

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #343 on: March 22, 2009, 07:48:46 PM »
Note that the PMD660 is completely different from the PMD661.
(Well, they are both made by Marantz.)  So the battery life of
660 (feeding phantom power to mics?) is not related to the 661.

The point about NiMH cells ability to keep voltage high for
longer, while the Alkaline cells' voltage slowly declines, is a
valid point. 

Flintstone
Both deck draw just about the same amount of power by themselves.
4w (660) vs 4.2w (661)
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #344 on: March 23, 2009, 10:16:50 AM »
yeah, I am not sure what Flinestones point was.  I think we all realize the decks are not identical, though similar.  That said, nimh are clearly a better technology for this type of device, regaurdless if it is a 660 or 661...

I can record a typical show right through setbreak and still have enough juice to listen to the entire show on the way home...  (w/ my 660)]
W/ alkalines I'll be lucky to make it through a set...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com