Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Strange High pitch noise on my recording, sample included  (Read 1860 times)

Offline lovelessrapture

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Strange High pitch noise on my recording, sample included
« on: December 10, 2008, 10:50:10 AM »
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=d588930b3ba64abbd2db6fb9a8902bda

So I taped the fantomas doing the director's cut and all was going well at the show but listening to the recording back I've found about half the show has some really strange interference noise over the top. I'm wondering what could have caused this, cause I havn't got this on any of the other bands I taped in the same venue so can anybody suggest what the heck it was. I didn't hear anything funny on the night, although I was wearing earplugs.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Re: Strange High pitch noise on my recording, sample included
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 10:45:15 PM »

So I taped the fantomas doing the director's cut and all was going well at the show but listening to the recording back I've found about half the show has some really strange interference noise over the top. I'm wondering what could have caused this, cause I havn't got this on any of the other bands I taped in the same venue so can anybody suggest what the heck it was. I didn't hear anything funny on the night, although I was wearing earplugs.

The sound is not external, that is recorded from the air. It sounds a lot like digital interference/noise from internal circuitry or a phantom mic with a low voltage (it's got that capacitor sound to it). Were your batteries fresh in your preamp...indeed what were you using? If you record now do you hear the same thing? If not it could have been a mobile phone, iblob? etc nearby.

digifish
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 10:47:12 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline lovelessrapture

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 03:07:50 AM »

The sound is not external, that is recorded from the air. It sounds a lot like digital interference/noise from internal circuitry or a phantom mic with a low voltage (it's got that capacitor sound to it). Were your batteries fresh in your preamp...indeed what were you using? If you record now do you hear the same thing? If not it could have been a mobile phone, iblob? etc nearby.

digifish

sorry my rig I was using was as follows: MM-MCSM-4 + MM-CBM Battery Box > Tunetalk + Ipod

I know for a fact it's not magentically shielded as I got some clippy noises from people sending texts and so on. But it's not on the recordings I made later on. And the batteries weren't brand new, I put in new ones for the festival; they'd only recorded like 2 and a half hours prior to this. And it didn't prove to be a problem later on. Any sugestions on getting rid of it, cause it seems to be on both channels so I can't even copy 1 across to the other to get rid of it.

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 06:09:55 PM »
Any sugestions on getting rid of it, cause it seems to be on both channels so I can't even copy 1 across to the other to get rid of it.

Maybe try to determine the offending frequency (or frequencies) and EQ it down/out?
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline unclelouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 06:51:15 PM »
this "wobble" seems, to me at least, to be centered somewhere around 5.5kHz. i suppose you could use a wide notch filter, but the results would be...shall i say...less than ideal.

your favorite editor may provide you with a "noise reduction" plug-in that would probably be a better help than the notch filter, but it might be best to call it quits and scrap it.

unclelouie.tapes_at_gmail.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com