Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: how to record a chor in a church?  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Manuell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
how to record a chor in a church?
« on: December 21, 2008, 06:29:29 PM »
Can anyone help me and give me some advices?
I want to record a chor in a church. I have never done that before :-)
I can use the edirol r-44 and two microphones (beyerdynamic mce72 and mce86)
Maybe someone can help me. which samplerate would be the best and where must I put the mics?

Thanks
Manuel

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Re: how to record a chor in a church?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 06:46:19 PM »
Looking at the datasheet of my AT853s, they are choir mics and are made to hang suspended from the ceiling, maybe 10m away or so from the choir, depending on the size of the choir and venue of course.

I don't know anything about the Beyerdynamic mics, and what placement they are originally meant for.
If you put the name/model number of the mic in the subject line of your first posting, you will get more relevant responses.

Sample rate: 24bit/48kHz is usually enough, but if you have enough storage there's no harm going higher.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: how to record a chor in a church?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 09:25:59 PM »
A lot depends on how much latitude you have in placing your mics.  If you have the run of the place, walk around with one ear covered until you find the best spot.  Then put the mics you have chosen on a stand and raise and lower them for better sound.  You may have to move in the horizontal plane, too.  When you have your best spot, you are set to go.

If you are restricted, do the same deal, but within the area allowed.  Then try one set of mics and then the other.  Use the better pair.  I do chorales at 24/48 and it works fine.  Your sound card will determine at what rate you mix the files and also the quality of your finished product.  No matter how well it is recorded, if you run it through a crappy sound card, guess what?  Crappy sound.

Go for it.  Have fun.  Do not expect a miracle.  You will improve over time.  If you don't improve, consider hockey.    LOL  Just have fun.

L8R
Nov schmoz kapop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com