Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: crossed hypercards..?  (Read 4269 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: crossed hypercards..?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 11:52:24 PM »
Quote from: gutbucket
assuming that the angle between the mics remains unchanged, you're not picking up a wider angle of sound since you're actually narrowing the mic pattern by using a hypercardioid instead of a cardioid.
right - but i was actually talking about going from fig 8s (blumlein) to something else when need be, and i am trying to decide when that time would be - and i know it is when i am set up off-center, and thus the soundstage kind of blows...

Quote from: gutbucket
If you are trying to keep a similar stereo spread on playback, then cards would need a wider angle than hypercards, which would need a wider angle than figure 8's.
so if i need to increase the included angle of the caps from 90 degrees (and set @ blumlein, which i prefer) to whatever i need to get the appropriate spread of the soundstage, i should dial the caps from fig 8s towards cards, and the wider the angle, the closer i should get to the cards...

when would i need to be using the patterns between card and omni..?

thx again.
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 12:17:48 AM »
Yes. Blumlein is an odd case where the angle between the mics is the same as the stereo recording angle.  For other patterns the wider the angle between mics the narrower the recording angle for the sources to be evenly distributed between the speakers.

For a coincident setup, you'd probably never use a pattern more omnish than a card, unless its the middle mic in a mid side setup.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 06:23:05 PM »
I too have noticed the benefits of a quasi-blumlien effect with hypers x/y.

-Noah

Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com