Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Bad batch of seagate drives  (Read 1412 times)

Offline jbraveman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Bad batch of seagate drives
« on: February 01, 2009, 10:30:40 PM »
I just built a 3TB music server with Seagate drives.

I just found out about a firmware problem with all of them.  Fortunately they have not yet "bricked".

Check your drives: http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board?board.id=ata_drives

Offline dbindc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Bad batch of seagate drives
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 09:20:23 AM »
Thanks for posting this.  Just got a Mac Pro last week and bought some additional Seagate drives "on sale" at Micro Center.  Just pulled them out and they are both affected models.  Wouldn't you know I made one of them the boot drive and spent a good part of the weekend copying over programs and plugins and reauthorizing them. At least at hasn't failed yet.  Hopefully I can clone it to a WD 500GB I've got here.  Looks like they've known about the problem for months.  They should have recalled this stock a while back.  Pisses me off cause I always liked their drives.
Gefell M300, DPA 4022 and 4061
MBHO 603A/648 + KA200, KA500, KA100DK, KA400, KA800, K20, vintage MB omni & cardioid capsules under Peerless and Unitra brands  Audix SCX1  Josephson branded MBHO/Peerless 640
preamps and recorders SD MP2 Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox  Edirol R44  Sony M10 CA-Ugly

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Re: Bad batch of seagate drives
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 11:12:06 PM »
I've applied the firmware update to two of my three affected 500 GB drives, and had no problems. The third drive has been in 24x7 service for about a year and *crosses fingers* hasn't had a problem, but I should go ahead and put the new firmware on it soon...

Unfortunately, Seagate's support website is on the fritz right now... the pages with the firmware updates aren't coming up.

As for "what brand to get" - as far as I'm concerned, all hard drive makers suck. At work, I have a stack of dead WDs...

UPDATE: Seagate's support site is back in working order. Go here to find firmware updates.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 01:00:39 AM by rjp »
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com