Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Archos Gmini 120  (Read 69824 times)

Offline Kelso

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I don't tape, just talking
Re:Archos Gmini 120
« Reply #225 on: February 14, 2004, 09:05:37 AM »
seems like the rockbox adaptation is a dead project :-\ (see the faq from the site)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
« Reply #226 on: February 14, 2004, 10:25:40 AM »
as of yesterday, 2/13/04, there's also a new firmware, v1.8.0.
according to their website, this is all that it accomplishes:

V1.8.0
---------------------------------------
Bug fixed:   Fixed Hanging/delayed on restart when bookmark set from an ARClibrary song.

but it is good to see that there are still actively working on firmware updates and putting them out fairly frequently...

Offline tfrench

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My Music Trading List
« Reply #227 on: February 16, 2004, 09:59:43 AM »
Quick question.....I've got the following equipment and have a question about what cable would connect the two devices:
-
ZEFIRO INBOX 20BIT PORTABLE 2CH MIC PRE > Archos Gmini 120
-
Thanks, Todd
I'm a taper,one of the most well adapted and well prepared species known to exist on the planet,even the boy scouts ain't got shit on us....Mark S.

Recording Gear:
AKG 460b (ck63, ck1 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x) > FR2-LE (24/48)

ISO: AKG ck2x, CK22, CK2, CK3

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #228 on: February 16, 2004, 02:08:19 PM »
from the AD-20 (zefire inbox), you need to go S/PDIF out, which is the 1/8th jack on the side of the unit...  the gmini 120 shoulw have come with a cable for the S/PDIF input, but with an RCA connector, so you need a mono 1/8th inch plug to RCA jack.  these adaptors can be had for a couple of bucks at the radio shack...

although, as it stands today, the gmini 120 will not reliably record the S/PDIF signal.  you'll probably get clicks and glitches throughout the recording.  hopefully soon this will get fixed...

Offline Riley

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #229 on: February 16, 2004, 02:37:43 PM »
Well, we might have another bug.  I taped a show last night, UA-5->Archos Gmini with a D100 patched in also.  It was a long set, over 2 hours.  Strangely enough, it wouldn't play back the file.  It would hang as soon as I tried to play it.  The light would continuously flash, but the unit was frozen and I couldn't do anything but shut it off.  The file seems to be transferring to my computer OK though, so I'll see what I get.

Is there a maximum file size for WAV?  Could this be the problem if the file should be split somewhere and wasn't?

Riley

Offline Riley

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #230 on: February 16, 2004, 02:53:39 PM »
Sorry everyone,

I jumped the gun on that last post.  I tried it again.  It actually does play it, it just takes a long time to get started.  I thought it hung, but it apparently just took a long time to open the file.

Disregard that last post

Riley

Offline Sharky

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I hate wires
    • My Homepage
« Reply #231 on: February 16, 2004, 03:03:47 PM »
I would like to add to tfrench's question....I am his brother.

It seems to me that he will need an 1/8male ---> 1/8 male digital coax cable. Though I am confused to what rating cable he will need. I always assumed that digital coax cable was different than the typical audio cable. Though I may be wrong. If he gets a digital coax cable, does it need to be mono, streeo, or do S/PDIF inputs not look at cables as mono/strereo. I am a little confused at the grade of cable we will need to take advantage of the S/PDIF connections on both units.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 03:06:02 PM by Sharky »

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #232 on: February 16, 2004, 03:43:42 PM »
Buy one of these:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=230&item=SP-DCC-2&type=store

and one of these:
http://www.mycableshop.ca/sku/GCRCAF.htm

And go out of your AD20>the cabel above>adapter above>GMini cable>Gmini.

Good luck!  I'm not sure, but talking to Todd (Sharky's brother) the other day, the GMINI cable is digi and analog in one 1/8 plug, having 3 black rings rather than 2...

How this corresponds to a mono 1/8 plug or what I have no idea...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Sharky

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I hate wires
    • My Homepage
« Reply #233 on: February 16, 2004, 04:12:33 PM »
I spoke to the guys at markertek.com and they said it sounds like I need a custom made 1/8"(3.5mm)male to 1/8"(3.5mm)male serial digital cable. As for the 3 rings at the tip, I have no idea what this is all about. I am assuming all 1/8" male serial digital tips are built the same....?

EDIT:
I just spoke to the support guy at markertek and the 3 ring is typical for a serial digital (balanced) 1/8" tip. So I am good now. I am going to have one custom made and see how it works. I have a feeling the problems you guys are having may be coming from the default cable Archose gives you, or the RCA/1"8" converter you are using. Just a hunch. We'll see.

Sharky

« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 04:21:08 PM by Sharky »

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #234 on: February 16, 2004, 04:36:49 PM »
I tried a cable with dual 1/8 mono from my old AD-20> SPDIF in on the Archos and got no signal...

and mine takes awhile to playback large file too...
just looking for it I guess....
?>FR2LE

Offline Sharky

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I hate wires
    • My Homepage
« Reply #235 on: February 16, 2004, 04:49:28 PM »
OK, another EDIT. I spoke with a fellow from soundprofessionals and he said I need to determine where the digital signal is located on the Archos 1/8" male connection: at the tip, ring, or sleeve? He knew the specs for the AD20 so I didn't need to find that info for him. I sent an email to Archos, so hopefully I will hear back with an answere from them soon. Once I get that I will have it ordered and try it out. Does anyone know the answere to this?

1/8" triple ring (gmini120) ----> 1/8" double ring(AD20)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 10:43:26 PM by Sharky »

Offline Kelso

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I don't tape, just talking
« Reply #236 on: February 17, 2004, 12:50:25 PM »
the sp/dif signal use only one conductor: the AD20 out should be a mono jack, while the archos a double ring (3 conductor: 2 analog, 1 digital)

Offline Sharky

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I hate wires
    • My Homepage
« Reply #237 on: February 17, 2004, 02:11:56 PM »
that didn't answere my question.

On the Gmini 120, is the digital signal on the tip, sleeve, or ring? I'm not worried about the AD20, the sound professional guy knows the specs on that unit.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #238 on: February 17, 2004, 04:05:25 PM »
that didn't answere my question.

On the Gmini 120, is the digital signal on the tip, sleeve, or ring? I'm not worried about the AD20, the sound professional guy knows the specs on that unit.
You can determine this yourself with simple physics.  Run a small electrical current (with multimeter) through the digital coax end and see where it comes out the 1/8 end.

Or wait for the Archos people to give you an answer...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Sharky

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I hate wires
    • My Homepage
« Reply #239 on: February 17, 2004, 04:17:54 PM »
why dont you get off your ass and come over to my desk and answere my questions! (we work together)

that would require me having to by a volt meter...negetory

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com