Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DAT head diginoise diagnosis....  (Read 1660 times)

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
DAT head diginoise diagnosis....
« on: March 15, 2009, 06:38:50 AM »
So, I bot a used M1 here for cheap and finally got around to testing it.  Diginoise hell, sounds like you are going thru a tunnel of diginoise and there is this kind of repeating effect of the last few samples before the tunnelling.  Can anyone diagnose this?  Bad head, misaligned head?  Certainly not a dirty head...

Why'o why must I always jump on these 'killer deals' all the time?  I am a Yard sale junkie!

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DAT head diginoise diagnosis....
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 08:55:08 PM »
Could be a dried out pinch roller

If the deck sat for a will (esp in a dry environment) the rubber could have dried out and this will cause the tape to "skip" across the heads.

I have had two decks in the last few years with this issue (a SV-4100 and a PCM-7040)
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 12:52:06 AM »
Okay here is a sample.  I have already noticed that it does it far less frequently and for less total duration each time.  When I first played a tape in it (and it must have sat for a year or more without a tape played in it), it was like 50-70% all diginoise, and it completely freaked me out.  Now it is the occasional sputter and squawk....still not upto roadworthiness but it seems like it is a transport problem and not a head problem.

update: I let it go for about 20 minutes straight and there is no more noise, far as I can tell.  I think it is okay now.....but how do prevent the pinch roller from drying out?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 01:22:28 AM by shaggy »

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 03:50:20 PM »
I don't know if you can.  In both cases where my pinch rollers dried out pro-digital replaced them.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com