Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Triple Boot Install order?  (Read 3358 times)

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Triple Boot Install order?
« on: April 02, 2009, 10:02:21 PM »

I just ordered a new MB/CPU/RAM/PSU/HDD/Video Card and plan on installing Win7 Beta, Win XP MCE and Win2003 Server on it.

What order should I install the OS's in?
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
Re: Triple Boot Install order?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 11:51:53 PM »
you could always go win xp mce and run teh other two in VMWare
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 11:55:37 PM »
you could always go win xp mce and run teh other two in VMWare

The plan is to run XP MCE as my main OS until Win 7 is officially out, and then switch over. I suppose I could start over fresh then.

I need to run Win Sever 2003 normally because I'm taking a class that requires it and I want it to behave normally.

From what I remember I should install from oldest to newest...so XP MCE, Win Server 2003, and finally Win 7.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 06:31:15 PM »
Win Server runs great in a VM.  We have numerous servers I use every day in a production warehouse management environment that run on VMs and they are great.  It's even more desirable for a test environment where you will be playing with and breaking things.  Makes going back much easier.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 08:00:35 PM »
Win Server runs great in a VM.  We have numerous servers I use every day in a production warehouse management environment that run on VMs and they are great.  It's even more desirable for a test environment where you will be playing with and breaking things.  Makes going back much easier.

yup, vmware is rock solid, and is used in production the world over.  I agree with phan, it is great if you are playing, b/c you can take snapshots and restore the snapshots if you do break something.  I run vmware on our production servers at work, but I also have it on my desktop at home.  vmware does wonders with allocating resources.  I am not sure how much you know about vmware, but it is light years beyond any other virtual machine software i have tested.  ESX is the best thing since sliced bread, but neither it nor esxi fit your needs right now, but vmware server should. even if you dual boot xp and 7, i would still do server 2003 in vmware instead of triple boot.
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 09:00:02 PM »
Cool. I will have to try the VMware thing. I use VMWare on my Mac, but Windows on the Mac isn't exactly the same (at least when I'm trying to learn how to run it in a server enviroment).

I was thinking of running it anyway, and keeping my main OS install free from programs I don't use often (and programs I got from not exactly legal channels).

Can I run XP in VMware and use it to run Wavelab (since Wavelab apparently doesn't work in Vista/Win7)?

Offline Just Taper Mark from NC

• when the bass kicks..all I need is a mic and a stage and mix.
  • Dodgertown 90090
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 11:04:04 PM »
Cool. I will have to try the VMware thing. I use VMWare on my Mac, but Windows on the Mac isn't exactly the same (at least when I'm trying to learn how to run it in a server enviroment).

I was thinking of running it anyway, and keeping my main OS install free from programs I don't use often (and programs I got from not exactly legal channels).

Can I run XP in VMware and use it to run Wavelab (since Wavelab apparently doesn't work in Vista/Win7)?

you guys are speaking over my head here but I'm having this problem and have been looking for a solution to the
wavelab>vista muckup so I'm gonna try and follow along.  :)
Positive vibration man.That's what makes it work.That's reggae music.You can't look away because it is real.You listen to what I sing because I mean what I sing,there's no secret,no big deal.,Just honesty,that's all."-Hon. Robert Nesta Marley 1977

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 12:01:57 AM »
I would recommend running 7 and then VMing the other two OS'es.  Some folks have said that there is a Vista patch for WL5 although I have not seen it.  If someone does have it PM me and i'll try it out and see if it works in 7 natively. 

I've been running a few of the Beta builds of 7 and without hesitation it is a killer OS.  There is a 7 thread where i've made a few posts about certain apps related to our hobby that work with 7.

ETA: Google is my friend.  WL5 installed (Windows 7 build 7068) and works but I can't use the Open > File.  For some reason it won't open the dialog window.  I can though drag a file into the WL5 desktop and have it open from there.   
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 12:24:23 AM by OFOTD »

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 11:00:12 AM »
Right now any Windows 7 install you have will be based off the beta install and while I've heard and experienced nothing but good things about it, the beta does eventually expire.  Once it does there is not a guaranteed way to migrate to the production version so it would likely mean a reinstall. 

That said, XP will run fine in a VM particularly for something like Wavelab although you might see some issues if using something like a USB attached audio workstation or capture device. I don't have a lot of experience working with unusual peripherals through VM ware; it might be no problem at all.  For simple work with .wavs .flacs and the like it will be fine.  The other nice thing about VMWare is when/if you have to reinstall your base OS, migrating your VMs will just be a simple file copy then restart once you have VM ware reinstalled on the new host OS.  One of the key benefits in a VM environment is the abstraction of the hardware.  You could even move your VMs from Windows to Linux hosts or to other computers if needed.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 11:49:36 AM »
Right now any Windows 7 install you have will be based off the beta install and while I've heard and experienced nothing but good things about it, the beta does eventually expire.  Once it does there is not a guaranteed way to migrate to the production version so it would likely mean a reinstall. 

The current 7068 build is based off of the first build for the RC line.  You CAN do an upgrade from previous builds without problem.   I am using my Beta key although there are hundreds of thousands of them on the net and my product expires in a few weeks short of one year.  7 is supposed to go gold by September so even if you installed either the a beta or RC you still can upgrade to the final product when it is released.  Additionally the files and setting transfer wizard is feature complete so there is NO worry about losing data either in an upgrade or a new install.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com