Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How Do You Format a JB3?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline PhilliesPhan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
How Do You Format a JB3?
« on: April 22, 2009, 08:56:50 PM »
How do you format a JB3? I can't find the instructions online of how to do it anymore and somehow mine now says 12 of the 20 gigs are used while it claims to be clean and have no files on it.

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
Re: How Do You Format a JB3?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 09:31:30 PM »
from the JB3 FAQ here:    http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,16338.0.html

[330] Do I need to do any regular maintenance?

It's probably a good idea to do a Format All regularly to ensure you don't run into problems like excessive fragmentation.  Instructions:

1. Remove the battery or press the reset button.
2. Either while reinserting the battery or after reset ensure that the stop button is held down.
3. As soon as the 'Creative' logo appears on the screen during the boot sequence, release the stop button. Immediately press and release the play button. The unit should boot to a diagnostics mode with several recovery options.

Those are:

[a.] Clean Up (Performs a scan disk on the HDD)
      [b.] Format All (*WARNING* ALL contents will be lost, including pre-installed content)
      [c.] Reload OS (*WARNING* THIS IS AN ADVANCED OPTION. DO NOT choose this unless you are sure of what you are doing as you could render your player unusable. You must also have a suitable firmware file on your PC for reloading via USB)
      [d.] Reboot

As best I could find, Clean Up scans the disk for errors and rebuilds the songlist index but does not perform a defrag.  The Format All does just what it sounds like: formats the drive, negating the need for an actual defrag (and good thing as there doesn't appear to be a maintenance operation to do just the defrag while maintaining your data).  Reload OS is probably overkill and you shouldn't need to do it unless you're having serious problems.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline PhilliesPhan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: How Do You Format a JB3?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 05:40:11 PM »
Thank you very much, sorry for the new post. I tried a search and nothing really came up

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com